AX8 vs FX8 - Hands-on, critical listening

Robboman

Fractal Fanatic
I've finally had a chance to do serious A\B and listen critically for differentiation while comparing features and use cases. Trying to decide which to keep. My main purpose here is to see how well the AX8 would perform in the same role as my FX8 - for use with my tube amp\cab in my live rig. Obviously AX8 am modeling is a huge plus for other roles.

I'm not gonna go FULL nerd or get too sciencey, but this will be a long post and I'll share my observations. I still have some dumb questions, and reserve right to make dumb comments. Never claimed to be the sharpest knife, so take this all FWIW.

pEUKNpM.jpg

1). Both units kick major ass.
2). FX8 boots up a bit faster
3). FX8 has a noticeably brighter, better LCD screen.. seems sharper, more yellow while AX8 screen is more greenish. Yes, I played with the contrast, etc.. couldn't match them. VERY minor point, nothing at all wrong with AX8 screen, I just figured they'd look identical and they don't.
4). Absolutely LOVE having those AX8 encoder knobs for amp adjustment.
5). Aside from amp knobs, I'm finding navigating the front panel UI a bit awkward on AX8. All that 'shift' and hold for 'shift lock' so I can navigate grid. Getting used to it.
6). PC editors seem to work flawlessly on both.
7). 4CM configuration more confusing to set up and get working on AX8. FX8 more intuitive.

Now for the important stuff - audio details. What I did was export all the blocks from a couple of my main FX8 presets and then import them into AX8 so that all blocks and settings would be identical. For the 4CM testing, I inserted an fx loop block in the appropriate spot on the grid (no need for that on FX8, it works different). All other global settings default or matched (like in\out levels, EQs, gate, etc).

So, armed with a couple FX-only presets that I felt 'should' sound identical on AX8 or FX8, I connected my amp and listened very carefully...

8). Blocks themselves do indeed sound the same.

9). I get a noticeable 60-cycle hum with either the AX8 or FX8 connected, but only with my one amp on a certain AC outlet. NOT the FAS units fault, it's my amp (specifically the preamp) in my tube head.. no hum elsewhere. I'm only mentioning this because, when the hum-causing condition is present, when I switch the cables from FX8 to AX8 and all else equal.. I get MORE hum on the AX8.

10). FX8 Unity gain - there is no Out1\2 level knobs. It's automatic. If you have all FX blocks off, the level is the same as a cord from you guitar straight to amp. Yes, you can boost or cut levels in each block, or at the Global output, but by default it's 'Unity'. On the AX8, by default sounded close with Out 1 level knob all the way up to max, but not quite. I boosted Global output about .8 or so to match. I'm well aware that louder tends to sound better, so I wanted to be careful to match them before A/B listening.

11). Signal clarity: With all blocks off, FX8 sounds the same to me as True Bypass.. or just a cord straight from guitar to amp, which is really what True bypass is.

To my ears, The AX8 does NOT sound the same. It sounds slightly muffled or muddied. Smeared? It's minor, not something you'd notice unless critically listening. I wouldn't notice in a crowded room or a gig, but I'm sure I could pick it out in a blind test. A\Bed over and over, listened loud with all FX off. Definitely different on AX8. I don't like to say better or worse, and I don't want to label this as 'tone suck'... but if pressed I'd have to say FX8 wins in this scenario.

The question is, why? Is the circuitry really that much audibly better in the more expensive FX8 design? Am I doing something wrong?

Then I remembered the instrument input - "secret sauce" as it's always been called.

Does the FX8 have Secret Sauce? Same as the AX8? Could this be the difference I'm hearing?

I tried plugging my guitar into Input 2 (fx return?) instead of regular Instrument input on the AX8, but I couldn't make it work. I looked at the Input section in AX8 edit to see if I could set it there (nope). I noticed that on the amp block advanced settings you can choose input one or two, but I'm not using an amp block in this case.

12). This difference I describe wasn't really any 'more' different in 4CM vs straight in front, to me not really any more noisey.

I would love to know the secret sauce answer, or other reasons my testing is flawed, or any other ideas. But as of now, if I was only going to use FX blocks (no amp models), I would definitely choose the FX8.

NOW... with all this said, I think I'm keeping the AX8 and changing my live rig. Here's why:

I did one more round of testing.. :). AX8 output direct to the loop return on the back of my tube head. I took the same preset and added an amp block, then I went into Global settings and set Power Amp Modelling to disabled. With this setup, The AX8 amp block is replacing the preamp and tonestack in my head, while real tube power is still driving my cab.

It didn't take long before I found an amp model and settings that sounded even better than my real amp's preamp, with way more tweakability. Also, the weird 60-cycle hum my amp does is GONE this way. This is more flexible with all the benefit of 4CM using only one cable. It sounds fantastic - BETTER than my amp. Plus, amp tonestack and level control is now all at my feet on the AX8. Cool! I think this is my way forward for now.

Note: When you use AX8 the normal FR way (full amp\cab modelling into full range speakers) the amps all sound like you expect them to, and you can match an ideal cab in your preset. But when you go this way (modelled preamp only into your real tube power and cab).. you can't expect just any preset or amp to translate, and you can't expect every amp model to sound good. Most models simply won't be a good match for your tube amp\cab, which has it's own unique color that is anything but transparent. The trick here is to find the preamps and tonestacks that ARE a good match.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report :) I came to the same conclusion. Using the AX8 in the Loop of my H&K Puretone (btw... awesome amp) took away some treble (using the Metro Loop in that amp). I could easily dial it back in with an EQ though. But... AX8 straight into the FX Return just sounded better then the Amps own preamp.... Are there any nice powered guitar cabs?

I experienced the same using the AX8 in 4-cable method with my amps. AX8 is not as transparent with an amp. Yes, the circuitry for the FX8 is different and specifically designed for low noise and transperancy with an amp.

For my purposes, the AX8 is "good enough" with an amp because I use modeling 90% of the time. I could not justify keeping both. For an amp-only user, the FX8 is the one to have.

Exact same conclusion here on all counts. AX8 in 4cm = okay and not nearly as good as the fx8, AX8 out to amp fx return = awesome. Very close to fx8 in 4cm quality sound, but with all the preamp modeling options. This is the way to go Imo if you want to use a real amp. Incidentally i tried an HBE preamp sim into my 5153 100watt fx return. Best lead tone ever. The full hbe model always sounded a touch thin on single note.

The reason the hum was gone when you went straight into the power amp (2CM) is because there was no grounding problem as there presumably was with the 4CM. I had the same problem with the FX8 and my Soldano HR25 - there was no dialing it out. It was always there. It was not present with my Suhr or Friedman.

What amp are you using?

The reason the hum was gone when you went straight into the power amp (2CM) is because there was no grounding problem as there presumably was with the 4CM. I had the same problem with the FX8 and my Soldano HR25 - there was no dialing it out. It was always there. It was not present with my Suhr or Friedman.

Yes, grounding problem somewhere before the power amp, but it didn't have to be cabled 4CM to hum.. it hummed just as bad going straight into the front input.

1). Guitar straight to front input = no hum.
2). Guitar through AX8 (or FX8) first, then into front input = loud hum.
3). Turn AX8 power off = STILL humming (no guitar signal passing but cords connected)
4). Unplug AC cord from AX8 = no hum.

In the above, all units are plugged into the same outlet, same AC circuit I also have my DAW interface\studio monitors in same circuit.. when I output AX8 into that instead of my amp there is no hum at all. Likewise, when I output AX8 into the back loop return of my amp, instead of the front.. no hum at all. Gone.

It's gotta be something to do with my AC circuit in my home, and specifically the preamp\tonestack section of my amp and it's grounding (or lack of). When I take the whole rig to my friend's jam space there's no hum at all, and I haven't had serious hum at a gig so far. But even at home, I don't seem to get hum with any other combination of gear.

I didn't entirely want to bring up this whole hum issue in this thread, because I know it's not the AX8 or FX8 fault, it's just other weirdness most people will never deal with. Again, I mentioned it only to make note that in the exact same setup where hum is happening, it seemed to be worse on the AX8 than the FX8, all else equal.

What amp are you using?

Old Kitty Hawk head:

Last edited:
If the AX8 was just as good for 4CM what would be the need for the FX8. :)

It's about the AD/DA/AD/DA conversion. FX8 has high quality converters that cost a lot and that makes it so clean.

It didn't take long before I found an amp model and settings that sounded even better than my real amp's preamp, with way more tweakability. Also, the weird 60-cycle hum my amp does is GONE this way. This is more flexible with all the benefit of 4CM using only one cable. It sounds fantastic - BETTER than my amp. Plus, amp tonestack and level control is now all at my feet on the AX8. Cool! I think this is my way forward for now.

Duwuwude!!

I just tried this method with my Mesa Maverick 2x12. Hot damn hot cakes. Why hadn't I tried this setup before???

Yes, grounding problem somewhere before the power amp, but it didn't have to be cabled 4CM to hum.. it hummed just as bad going straight into the front input.

1). Guitar straight to front input = no hum.
2). Guitar through AX8 (or FX8) first, then into front input = loud hum.
3). Turn AX8 power off = STILL humming (no guitar signal passing but cords connected)
4). Unplug AC cord from AX8 = no hum.

In the above, all units are plugged into the same outlet, same AC circuit I also have my DAW interface\studio monitors in same circuit.. when I output AX8 into that instead of my amp there is no hum at all. Likewise, when I output AX8 into the back loop return of my amp, instead of the front.. no hum at all. Gone.

It's gotta be something to do with my AC circuit in my home, and specifically the preamp\tonestack section of my amp and it's grounding (or lack of). When I take the whole rig to my friend's jam space there's no hum at all, and I haven't had serious hum at a gig so far. But even at home, I don't seem to get hum with any other combination of gear.

I didn't entirely want to bring up this whole hum issue in this thread, because I know it's not the AX8 or FX8 fault, it's just other weirdness most people will never deal with. Again, I mentioned it only to make note that in the exact same setup where hum is happening, it seemed to be worse on the AX8 than the FX8, all else equal.

Old Kitty Hawk head:

Have you tried any other processor (non-Fractal) in front of your amp to see if the behavior is the same? Note that wall wart based units don't count.

If the AX8 was just as good for 4CM what would be the need for the FX8. :)

It's about the AD/DA/AD/DA conversion. FX8 has high quality converters that cost a lot and that makes it so clean.

The AX-8 uses the same "flagship" converters. It's the analog I/O to and from the converters that make the FX-8 so clean. It's also a very costly design.

The AX-8 uses the same "flagship" converters. It's the analog I/O to and from the converters that make the FX-8 so clean. It's also a very costly design.
Kinda what I thought, thanks Cliff.

Have you tried any other processor (non-Fractal) in front of your amp to see if the behavior is the same? Note that wall wart based units don't count.
Okay, this is weird.. I have two other processors on hand (with internal power supply). One is an old t.c. electronics 1U rack FX unit, and the other is my Axe-Fx II.

I tested both in my humming config:
1). Axe-Fx II = hums exactly the same as FX8 and AX8. Even with power off, just guitar and AC cables connected.
2). Old T.C. rack unit = ZERO hum, none at all. ???

I need a smarter person to help me understand what's going on here...

Kinda what I thought, thanks Cliff.

Okay, this is weird.. I have two other processors on hand (with internal power supply). One is an old t.c. electronics 1U rack FX unit, and the other is my Axe-Fx II.

I tested both in my humming config:
1). Axe-Fx II = hums exactly the same as FX8 and AX8. Even with power off, just guitar and AC cables connected.
2). Old T.C. rack unit = ZERO hum, none at all. ???

I need a smarter person to help me understand what's going on here...

Which TC unit? What's the power hookup?

Which TC unit? What's the power hookup?

It's an M300, but it's not a fair comparison because there is no power switch and no signal bypass, so I don't know what kind of gating or hum cancelling it might be doing...

It's weird, but I'm positive it's something with my (vintage) amp and my local AC circuit so I'm not going to pursue it here anymore. I don't want to imply that Fractal stuff is somehow more hum-prone.. as I said it's all DEAD quiet, completely hum-less on other amps and my DAW.

11). Signal clarity: With all blocks off, FX8 sounds the same to me as True Bypass.. or just a cord straight from guitar to amp, which is really what True bypass is.

To my ears, The AX8 does NOT sound the same. It sounds slightly muffled or muddied. Smeared? It's minor, not something you'd notice unless critically listening. I wouldn't notice in a crowded room or a gig, but I'm sure I could pick it out in a blind test. A\Bed over and over, listened loud with all FX off. Definitely different on AX8. I don't like to say better or worse, and I don't want to label this as 'tone suck'... but if pressed I'd have to say FX8 wins in this scenario.

So it means that an acoustic guitar (with a bit of EQ and REV) will plays better into FX8... Isn't it?

Converters are everything, keeps everything transparent. Cool rundown, thanks for the effort. I still have to have the full deal, lol. Not easy coming from the 80's, ya know? I love rack gear period. If I had an ax8, it would be saran wrapped to death, lol. I hate my stuff getting dirty,

It's an M300, but it's not a fair comparison because there is no power switch and no signal bypass, so I don't know what kind of gating or hum cancelling it might be doing...

It's weird, but I'm positive it's something with my (vintage) amp and my local AC circuit so I'm not going to pursue it here anymore. I don't want to imply that Fractal stuff is somehow more hum-prone.. as I said it's all DEAD quiet, completely hum-less on other amps and my DAW.

It's not your local AC circuit or your specific amp...
This problem has been around since the ultra (plenty of threads here on it), and Fractal has yet to adress it, they seem to just dismiss it as a ground loop and be done with it. The problem is that no other similar units seem to do this. I thought it was a problem related to the unit being manufactured in the US and somehow not configured to handle the same kinds of power sources as in Europe as no-one in the US seems to have this problem. Surprised to see you are located in Canada!

Anyway, I've encountered this problem countless times, with the unit being powered completely off and no cables plugged in and still sending noise to FOH. Solved it with they called a "cheater-plug", which i read somewhere that you weren't supposed to need anymore with the new humbuster tech, sad to hear it doesn't adress this.

Hope this helps, didn't want you to spend time searching for the answer in the wrong places :)

Cheers!

So it means that an acoustic guitar (with a bit of EQ and REV) will plays better into FX8... Isn't it?

Unless there's an amp model like a studio tube preamp in the AX8 that will improve the sound of the acoustic guitar. Also, the AX8 allows you to run your acoustic through an IR, similar to the way Fishman Aura systems work. I haven't cared for it yet, but others seem to like it a lot.

Back
Top Bottom