AX8 vs Axe-Fx 2 vs Axe-Fx 3

just opened up the audio file, the 3 is louder in his video..... See below.

This has to be a blind test for it to be fair. Waaay too much placebo effect going on.

That's not to say people's favourite choice would even be the most accurate one in terms of modelling.

You'd have to have some crazy setup to compare the real amp tones to the model scientifically (which I assume Cliff and co have in their lab).

Attachments

• Untitled.jpeg
    Untitled.jpeg
    16.5 KB · Views: 44
It's pretty clear that the III has a bit more sparkle on the top end and seems a bit fuller on the low, the differences are minor (right now ) and probably almost irrelevant in a recording at this point, but it's like every amp is just a touch sweeter (I listened with my eyes closed, but is was obvious that the first two were basically identical and that the 3rd clip each time was just a bit sweeter on that top end in particular).

Yep, I agree with Yek and Dogstarr.
AX8 and Axe II sound virtually identical, which is cool. I'm using my AX8 a bunch these days.
However, the III stands up and out a bit and even sounded "more 3D" if that's possible.

I can't wait to get that thing in person and explore!!
Thanks for the video...

I agree with @Ben Randolph above - for me the question isn't so much what the III is now, it is what it will become.

For me now, the additional features of the III in terms of processing power, inputs/outputs, audio interface, block channels, IR library, noise floor, midi block etc are its key benefits. And straight out of the gate, the III sounds (at least) as good, if not better, than the Axe II.

So when my names comes up, I'll be jumping onboard! And enjoying my XL+ in the meantime.

This is cool and all, but in a mix all those little differences will vanish. I’m more interested in Drive block improvements, how are the delays and reverbs improved next to the old generation, things that are really significant at this point.

Agree. Would love to see a comparison of the new effect stuff. I think the drive blocks haven't been changed at all. Some say the sound of the delay and reverb has improved. Would like to hear that.

Great job OP. No disrespect but I don't think any of these tones are usable for a commercial release. I have only used Axe-FX for years but I still struggle to dial in tones on my II and I don't feel I've ever gotten "great" tone. That could just be my suckage. Before I upgrade to the III I'm going to bring in some Marshalls and Boogies, which I used for years but haven't used in years, and see what I can get with those. I'd love to see some tube amps included in the comparison. For what it is worth I think the II sounded better than the AX8 and the III better than the II but only marginally better. I would be disappointed if I spent $2,500 and only got that much improvement. I have no doubt, however, that Cliff and Co. will release better and better firmware over time and the tone will clearly surpass the II.

i agree %100 yes there is difference but it is soo small that we probly wont notice in a blind test and thats my problem about the axe3 because i think the same result may be done with patching the axe fx2. its just me but i dont get the point that i need to pay another 2500$ in order to get this really really slight sound improvement. yes the looks and the front panel is improved in axe3 but i never use the front panel (my axe2 is 4 years old and there are buttons that i never touched before in the front panel) and ''looks'' is not really my thing.
the only reason that i may be interested in axe3 is when the axe2xl support is stopped which i fear is already happening slowly since the last axe2 update is 2 months old.
i hope the updates on axe2xl wont be stopped until the memory of axe2xl is completly full (just like the regular axe2)

ps: im not complaining or bashing the axe3 its just the most of the axe3 features is not relevant to my needs at the moment so please dont shoot me :)
So if you’re not bashing, then what is your motivation for posting? If individuals don’t support new changes from the great artists and inventors, those changes stop. It’s understandable that you can’t afford the upgrade and it is indeed a profound upgrade. However, your post seems to discourage others who can afford the investment from taking the plunge. You also are putting forth the ubiquitous fear statement, “I hope they don’t stop taking care of my needs with my older model.” With all due respect, your post feels like a veiled bashing. When you can afford the new III, you will enjoy the new world of sound and it is very difficult to understand the remarkable improvements until you’ve played one! Don’t base your decision on recordings. In the end, you must trust the creator. After all, he made the fantastic unit you currently have. Warm regards...

So if you’re not bashing, then what is your motivation for posting? If individuals don’t support new changes from the great artists and inventors, those changes stop. It’s understandable that you can’t afford the upgrade and it is indeed a profound upgrade. However, your post seems to discourage others who can afford the investment from taking the plunge. You also are putting forth the ubiquitous fear statement, “I hope they don’t stop taking care of my needs with my older model.” With all due respect, your post feels like a veiled bashing. When you can afford the new III, you will enjoy the new world of sound and it is very difficult to understand the remarkable improvements until you’ve played one! Don’t base your decision on recordings. In the end, you must trust the creator. After all, he made the fantastic unit you currently have. Warm regards...
really.. it is what it is. my very old post says it all and there are other users who confirm this ''if you are upgrading from 2 to 3 there is no major sound upgrade (yet) but if you dont have an axe fx unit before 3 is the way to go'' i agree there are improvements on the unit features too but that features dont apply to me it is just that.. so i am not bashing the unit.. you dont have to be offended just because axe3 doenst get ''my'' interest at its current state so there is nothing to argue about..
so please lets not continue this agrument people can try/listen and get their own opinions about the unit i dont think that im gonna discourage other people just because what i said

I didn't notice much difference between the three units. I guess the III was a little louder, but I don't think it changed its tone. My last Axe Fx was the Ultra, and I can attest the III is way more refined in its dynamics, sustain, sweeter tone, I find the reverb to be outstanding.

Back
Top Bottom