AX8 vs Axe-Fx 2 vs Axe-Fx 3

Definitely more sauce with the III, it has that extra something that you already thought the other 2 had but when you hear them side by side you can hear it more in the III.

People on the actually youtube video keep saying that the axe fx iii is louder and that is why it sounds better, but that isnt 100% true. Cliff shared some graphs on here and you can see that the iii handles top end way better than the 8 and the II. It is just a testament to the new DSP and the rebuild architecture that is already improving the sound this early. Cam, you need to do this same video a year from now so we can track how much the III has changed over time.

I'd be interested in a "blind" video where we are not anticipating the III. There's a lot of psychology in this because we are not only told the III is better, but expect it to be better. Not saying it isn't and to me watching this it definitely sounds "bigger" and more up front as well. I would just be curious so see a vid where we don't know what we are listening to.

Last edited:
yea sure can tell a dif.
1f603.png
:D Ok so lets see.. 3 same riffs from video, i just changed orded and a bit volume level, so where is AX8, FXII and where FX III?

http://www.brickwall.pl/axe_comp/

@camilovelandiamusic thx for comparison, next time do the same with same cab IR (external cab part), and match a volume a bit better.

Stay Metal!

I'd be interested in a "blind" video where we are not anticipating the III. There's a lot of psychology in this because we are not only told the III is better, but expect it to be better. Not saying it isn't and to me watching this it definitely sounds "bigger" and more up front as well. I would just be curious so see a vid where we don't know what we are listening to.
i agree %100 yes there is difference but it is soo small that we probly wont notice in a blind test and thats my problem about the axe3 because i think the same result may be done with patching the axe fx2. its just me but i dont get the point that i need to pay another 2500$ in order to get this really really slight sound improvement. yes the looks and the front panel is improved in axe3 but i never use the front panel (my axe2 is 4 years old and there are buttons that i never touched before in the front panel) and ''looks'' is not really my thing.
the only reason that i may be interested in axe3 is when the axe2xl support is stopped which i fear is already happening slowly since the last axe2 update is 2 months old.
i hope the updates on axe2xl wont be stopped until the memory of axe2xl is completly full (just like the regular axe2)

ps: im not complaining or bashing the axe3 its just the most of the axe3 features is not relevant to my needs at the moment so please dont shoot me :)

If your spending $2500 for a sound quality difference I think one will be disappointed. The feel and UI though are pretty readily different though in use. These days most modelers can sound really good, but the feel and dynamics can be lacking. Depends on the amp model of course, but the iii just feels more punchy, bouncy, lively et al, when playing it side by side. Sonically it’s very close and I don’t think I could blindly pick it out, but after playing mine for a few days I think I could pick it apart from the overall feel. Problem is your not gong to get feel through a video clip so it’s really something you need to play firsthand to judge.

III, II, AX8

?
Now You see how it works :D Order is still the same - sorry :D AX8, FX II, FXIII, If you dont belive me you can check it very simple.
1. http://www.youtube3mp3.org/ Convert YT video to mp3 (same was done by Me)
2. Load mp3 into Daw - one track, second track load my mp3 :D
3. You know simple rule? If both samples are the same You can invert phase on one of tracks and then You cant hear anything :D
4. So yea set both samples at the same time, invert phase and done!

And? nothing was changed in sound just a bit diff volume level in all 3 samples and done.

Have Fun! going back to my FX II and some reamping :D
Stay Metal!

This is cool and all, but in a mix all those little differences will vanish. I’m more interested in Drive block improvements, how are the delays and reverbs improved next to the old generation, things that are really significant at this point.

What I noticed most, maybe because I'm interested in it the most, is that especially the thinner strings sound 'bigger'.

In addition, the result can be heared more.

I'm really interested in this unit. A few months later, I'll get it!

Back
Top Bottom