AX8 Video Tutorial: Allman's "Jessica" -- global Custom Harmony scales

austinbuddy

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Here's a short video tutorial I did, all in one go tonight, about a preset I made called "AllMyBrothers."

It is similar in tone to the harmony guitars in the song "Jessica." Video walks through how I got the preset together, similar to the JimiLondon video tutorial I also did - but much shorter (<5 minutes).

The principles here can apply to making a Hotel California harmony patch, or others involving harmony that is not strictly diatonic or always 3rds, 4ths 5ths.

The Fractal AX8 allows for 32 custom (user-defined) scales, all defined under the GLOBAL/Scales section of the Axe-Fx screen (you can't do that part in Axe-Edit). You input the note you play, and tell the Fractal what harmony you want it to play based on that input.

This preset is part of the Bonus section (Classic Rock & Blues) of my 700+ Naked Amps TonePack that features dialed presets from every amp modeled in the Fractal.

Hope you find this useful and informative!

Guys I am traveling this week but will get you the notes for this Jessica scale here soon.

A challenge/crowd source request: who can tell us how to set up custom scales to do the Hotel California solo (at end of song) in harmonic minor?

Can it be done with one custom scale, or do we need to use multiple ones as the song moves through the different harmonic minor and other progressions?

Any geniuses want to contribute? I know my buddy Tobias Hurwitz can tell me but he is not on this forum...

I'll be honest. I didn't understand Global Scales until you posted this video. They are a really great feature. More flexible than the Eventide PitchFactor once you get the hang of it.

I'll be honest. I didn't understand Global Scales until you posted this video. They are a really great feature. More flexible than the Eventide PitchFactor once you get the hang of it.
Thanks! Am hoping to do several of these kinds of "cool tool and Fractal thing you may not know about" videos...

JESSICA HARMONY

Been away from my gear, you guys asked for the harmonies to make this work, here they are.

To input/create, make sure you go to the front of your physical unit, hit global, then page over right until SCALES menu appears, THEN scroll Nav knob to Custom Scale #3 (since the preset in video uses that number) and change the values to match the below. Remember, you can't set global custom scale sin Axe-Edit, you must do by hand on front of unit.

If you want it in Scales location other than 3, you'll have to change the pitch block's custom harmony value to equal your chosen scale number instead of 3.

A shift = 4 (semi-tones)
A# =4
B =3
C =4
C# =3
D =4
D# =4
E =5
F =4
F# =5
G =4
G# =4

This is a fun preset to play in the TonePack.

Later, I'll probably set up a Hotel California one based on the above video with Mark Day's great playing and info from Bakerman...

Gents, I'm thinking of crowd-sourcing out to forum and getting thread to compiling some common harmony scales that would use this function.... here is a list

Jessica, maybe Elizabeth Reed, pro. others -- Allmans

Hotel California - Eagles -- already provided above by Bakerman, thanks!

Boddhitsatva (sic?) and Reeling in the Years - Steely Dan...(side note, saw Donald Fagen last night with some dual guitar harmonies; also, RIP Walter Becker/sad news on his passing)

Likely some Brian May solos/Queen

Cowboy Song by Thin Lizzy, maybe a few others from them... Showing my classic rock roots I guess.

Any other ideas for quintessential examples of two-guitar harmony that is diatonic and may need custom scale? Anyone know "the answers" and willing to share for the community here, or maybe we can start a separate post on these?

Thanks for this way cool..how would i set one up for In Memory of Elizabeth reed? there is that small harmony part in the head, over Am. thanks

Also, i just followed the directions to do the Jessica and it so close but something sounds off a little? any tips? thanks

Last edited:
Guys I am traveling this week but will get you the notes for this Jessica scale here soon.

A challenge/crowd source request: who can tell us how to set up custom scales to do the Hotel California solo (at end of song) in harmonic minor?

Didn't someone post that a few years ago?

Can it be done with one custom scale, or do we need to use multiple ones as the song moves through the different harmonic minor and other progressions?

Any geniuses want to contribute? I know my buddy Tobias Hurwitz can tell me but he is not on this forum...

Gents, I'm thinking of crowd-sourcing out to forum and getting thread to compiling some common harmony scales that would use this function.... here is a list

Jessica, maybe Elizabeth Reed, pro. others -- Allmans

Hotel California - Eagles -- already provided above by Bakerman, thanks!

Boddhitsatva (sic?) and Reeling in the Years - Steely Dan...(side note, saw Donald Fagen last night with some dual guitar harmonies; also, RIP Walter Becker/sad news on his passing)

Likely some Brian May solos/Queen

Cowboy Song by Thin Lizzy, maybe a few others from them... Showing my classic rock roots I guess.

Any other ideas for quintessential examples of two-guitar harmony that is diatonic and may need custom scale? Anyone know "the answers" and willing to share for the community here, or maybe we can start a separate post on these?

A Steely Dan package with Bodhisattva, Reeling in the Years would be worth purchasing. And Your Bird Can Sing (Beatles) would also be one worth paying for!

Another vote for "And Your Bird Can Sing".

I play an arrangement for one guitar that is a bitch to play live. Would love a single string / harmonized solution.

Back
Top Bottom