AX8 Victory!

Stratoblaster

Fractal Fanatic
Did an outdoor show over the weekend with 13 other bands; there were the usual Marshall, Orange, Fender, Mesa, Vox amps, etc. abounding throughout. I was the 'odd man out' as I was the only one using a modeler via an FRFR speaker (CLR) and direct into the PA.

After the entire weekend was finished the soundman came up to me, unsolicited, and said "you won the guitar tone contest this weekend...I've gotta get one of those man"!!

AX8 FTW!!!

Did an outdoor show over the weekend with 13 other bands; there were the usual Marshall, Orange, Fender, Mesa, Vox amps, etc. abounding throughout. I was the 'odd man out' as I was the only one using a modeler via an FRFR speaker (CLR) and direct into the PA.

After the entire weekend was finished the soundman came up to me, unsolicited, and said "you won the guitar tone contest this weekend...I've gotta get one of those man"!!

AX8 FTW!!!
Can you share your patches? Thanks

Can you share your patches? Thanks

My presets are all built around a specific Ownhammer IR (as well as for my pickups, setup, etc.) from one of the Fractal CabPacks so I don't think they would translate all that well even if you substituted a factory cab that may be close to it...I don't think you would get anything useful out of them for those reasons...thanks for the interest though :cool:.

Last edited:
Wow! A sound tech that can hear. Whodathunkit?

You mean he didn't run up and say I lost you in the mix entirely? Your amp doesn't hold up in a mix at all? ;)

Always awesome to get great feedback on your tone. But from a sound man that's just stellar.

Yea, a rare bird this soundman! He is also a player in a couple of bands and runs a recording studio so he is quite broad in his knowledge and experience. Indeed he does have a 'good ear' IMO; his recordings sound fantastic, as do his live mixes. I was pretty stoked when he made his comment 🤪

One of the other interesting takeaways from the weekend was that the bands who used the Mesa/Marshall/Orange amps with a fair bit of gain all sounded very similar to each other and pretty 'generic'...not a lot of individual character in several guitarists tones that I heard.

I had another band comment on the good sound I had a couple weeks ago: a full-time touring band from Europe. The soundman loved the evening: three bands going through digital and using his monitors on in-ears... nary an amp to be seen on stage.

That's very cool indeed...!

AX8 FTW!!!
That's awesome. Every show I've had guys come up and ask me what I'm using - they can't believe it's not an amp. Sound guys too - they LOVE it, not only for the tone but for the ease of running it.

In the interest of some clarity, how about sharing what your patch looks like generally? I mean, you start a thread about how great your tone is, or how great the sound man thought your tone is, and then you don't discuss it. I don't get it.

john in san diego

It could be only an amp and cab block and still sound better direct to FOH than a MESA, Marshall, Orange head and cab mic'ed onstage. It's not how the patch looks like, it's about how you dial it at stage volume and still then, it would be very subjective. I've downloaded presets from guys with monster tones on videos/mp3's that ultimately did nothing for me and also presets loaded with all kinds of effects blocks only to find that bypassing everything but the amp and cab blocks worked much better in my context.

Instead of asking for a patch, I would better ask for some audio/video of the gig and then discuss from it. :)

In the interest of some clarity, how about sharing what your patch looks like generally? I mean, you start a thread about how great your tone is, or how great the sound man thought your tone is, and then you don't discuss it. I don't get it.

I started the thread to pass on the unsolicited comment from the soundman which I think speaks more to the overall effectiveness of the AX8 running direct into the PA and taking control/responsibility of what you're sending to the mains, as well as the capabilities of the AX8 modeling itself.

I was just happy to get feedback from a respected soundman that he liked what he heard and I seem to be 'doing things right'.

But sure, I can discuss some generalities regarding how I dial things in. Right off the bat, the specific IR I'm using accounts for about 90% of how I dial in the amps and, unless you have the same IR, I'm not sure how useful my presets would be for anyone. Coupled with that they are also dialed in for my specific pickups, guitars, etc. they are likely very unique to myself.

Considering that you can do a 1/4 turn tweak of a pickup height screw and completely change the entire balance of your tone there are just so many variables here. Or, since my pickups are medium output (and voiced a certain way) another user may tweak the Input Gain to get their required level of gain...and if the Bright Cap is switched on doing that will skew the entire response and feel of the preset. Your pickup voicing may nessitate a lot of EQ'ing to get it to where you like. So many moving parts here...but everything is dialed in for my specific setup and taste.

One thing that I think that makes my tones 'successful' is that I use a lot less gain overall then most guitar players generally do; indeed, I suspect the first thing that many guitarist would do is immediately raise the Input Gain on my presets. Again, that would change the overall balance, require other tweaks, etc. negating any real utility of my presets for other users.

Even my higain preset would probably be considered 'not all that gainy' to a lot of players who use those tones. I'm positive most players, if they were to play my med-gain crunch preset, would go, wow, that could use some gain...but I can make it work. I like a lot of clean articulation and clarity which too much distortion masks. That results in fuller, punchier tones out the mains in general. He did say he loved my crunchy tone in particular..."it's fat and punchy". I'm sure that since I strive to keep the gain as low as I can that's big part of why it stands out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom