AX8 Verb vs Slate VerbSuite

codyraptor

Inspired
Hey everyone,

I've been a long time user of the AX8. Love it! However, I just started getting back into songwriting and I plugged my unit to Reaper to lay down a few ideas. I decided to add the VerbSuite plugin to play around with verb sounds and holy cow! My guitar just came to life. The 'amp in the room' vibe was instant. No matter what I try...I can't seem to get the verb on the AX8 to sound the same.

Is this just a difference between using plugins vs hardware that happens with all applications?? Or is there something I'm missing. The VerbSuite has depth, character, and sounds awesome in the mix. Really sounds like the room. The Ax8 verb is not noticeable much..darker..kind of dull almost and not as pronounced. Just curious of anyone's opinion.

Thanks so much!!!

The FAS reverbs are quite adjustable for mix, depth, tone, modulation, early and late diffusion etc

Don’t see any reason you can’t tweak it to sound quite similar to whatever Slate settings you were using

There are many factors that can contribute to the difference. Where the reverb is placed in the signal path; parallel or series configuration; mix and level as well as eq. It might have something to do with plugin vs hardware, where are you placing the plugin? As @lqdsnddist pointed out, there should be no reason one or more of the reverbs in the AX8 couldn't provide the same result.

I'm placing the reverb at the end of my chain...just simple amp/cab/verb. I'm using a high quality setting on the small room setting. I am recording in mono...sending out of the AX8 Left Channel as a L+R Sum to a mono channel in Reaper. I also have the mix on the Reaper channel set to zero width so I can compare the plugin with the AX8 without the Stereo effect messing with my ears.

I'm trying to use the mono because I vary rarely get a chance to play in stereo..so I want to dial the verb in as close as I can. I've tried diving into the advanced parameters and just using my ears...but I can't seem to figure out the best combination to get it there. I'm open to any suggestions. That's a little of my frustration...I completely know the AX8 should be able to get me there....just can't seem to figure it out.

Maybe post a preset and either describe what it's missing in comparison with the plugin or provide an audio example of what you're wanting to hear?

2 completely different signal flows both with their pluses and minuses. When printing verb, what sounds good early on might not sit good in a mix. Why commit? Record dry and pull up plugins for monitoring if you need. I rely more on plugins recorded and more on the FAS stuff live of course. You should be able to get a great result either way, though. For me, printing an effect, it had better be a damn good effect to commit so early on in a recording.

I think you just need to experiment some more with the different types and parameters. Really change some settings and use your ears instead of numbers. Why not try stereo if you really want the full Reverb experience, it’s much more fun. And try the enhancer block in stereo as well.

I don’t think you should try to make the AX just like something else. Things will be different and that is good. It gives us options and ideas. If you are recording and really like the Slate, then go for it. Although I still mostly use the AX, I still keep the H9 a separate delay and compressor that I also like for use at times.

I'm placing the reverb at the end of my chain...just simple amp/cab/verb. I'm using a high quality setting on the small room setting. I am recording in mono...sending out of the AX8 Left Channel as a L+R Sum to a mono channel in Reaper. I also have the mix on the Reaper channel set to zero width so I can compare the plugin with the AX8 without the Stereo effect messing with my ears.

I'm trying to use the mono because I vary rarely get a chance to play in stereo..so I want to dial the verb in as close as I can. I've tried diving into the advanced parameters and just using my ears...but I can't seem to figure out the best combination to get it there. I'm open to any suggestions. That's a little of my frustration...I completely know the AX8 should be able to get me there....just can't seem to figure it out.

The L+R sum to mono is likely the issue.

That's placing the FAS's reverb in mono as well. Record in stereo and THEN compare the FAS verb to the Slate.

Back
Top Bottom