AX8 V9.02 Released!

I know I've posted enough recently BUT I'd like to say something.. First off I LOVE Fractal Audio. I was a very very early adopter of the Axe-fx Std and had it many years. Finally sold it and bought an Ax8 early on when these came out. I don't use factory presets, and do all the basic programming myself. It's basic stuff that I do but for someone else it might be very advanced. For the advanced guys I admire it's extremely basic. lol... OK with that said, the only thing I haven't liked about FW updates,etc is they definitely have not 'improved' my programs over the years. I just recently realized I need to start from scratch on the amp models I worked hard on getting 'just right' previously. WELL with that realization , the current 9.02 is just UNBELIEVABLY GREAT. It's very easy to work with. . I'm finding previously using guitar cabs and a tube power amp many of my amps still sounded better with some power amp sag turned on. Now I can just turn it off and start from there. So far each program I've been able to do for a Cameron, Splawn, Bogner Blue, Mesa, Engl etc from scratch has been easy to come up with kickass tones. I have my busiest stretch of gigs from this Friday til the end of year and I simply can't wait to use this. Probably only a few of you read this, but if you also have a problem with fw updates not making your programs 'better' , well it's pretty simple to start them over and then they will absolutely kick ass. There ya go. . Happy Thanksgiving everyone . Eric

Dumb question here but was is the easiest ,quickest way to transfer presets from one AX8 to another AX8, ,for a NON-TECKY mind..?

Gotta have a computer I think, you can export the presets in AX8 edit or .fractool or fractalbot to wherever on your computer, then import them to the other AX8....

While waiting my AX8 to arrive I'd like to ask how you guys like using the new Darkglass pedal block?

Do you use it before the amp and cab block or use it alone with maybe compressor etc. addons? Or maybe parallel, so the amp/cab is on it's own path and Darkglass on the other path?

I quess, there is no right or wrong way, but what are your thoughts?

Do you need to do preset refresh or a cab IR refresh after installing the new 9.02 update,just did it and I didn’t hear a big difference in sounds or tones,which is a good thing for me,I’m pretty happy with my favorite patches right now,I am a FOH and powered monitor guy,thx for any help,

Finally upgraded tonight. HATE my go-to preset I used for my least gig now.
BUT , went back thru the factory presets and fell in love again.

Finally upgraded tonight. HATE my go-to preset I used for my least gig now.
BUT , went back thru the factory presets and fell in love again.

Yea I had my first gig since updating from 7.02 to 9.02. . Tweaked a bunch of programs like mad all week , and I wasn't really happy with any of them. They sound cool by themselves, but just weren't near as good as they were previously for my band. Back at it this week . . So many tweaking options and I had them pretty perfect previously. . sigh. . .

My patches didn’t sound as good. Guess I’ll hqve to start tweaking. Gain was weird and my guitar wasn’t cutting through the mix live.

HI , out of curiosity what FW did you upgrade FROM to the 9.02? Mine was 7.01 to 9.02 . Also what amps on the Ax8 are you mainly using with your band? I know I'm not the only one this has adversely affected, but I also don't want to sound like I'm complaining as I do understand that upgrades or any change in programming will affect what someone has programmed for patches. . I'm just surprised there hasn't been more input from gigging guys as to whether it just plain worked great for them, or they needed to rewrite their programs. I set up 8 new patches/programs for my gig, and didn't like any of them better, so I'm back to the drawing board this week. Also again I use Scumback Speakers and a tube power amp, so I know I'm not the norm (at anything! haha)

Eric

Hey guys, sorry to hear about9.02 stress....As someone who does notprofessionally record or Play out much anymore (im old and tired..) so maintaining consistency between FW is less crucial for me and the retweaking always bringspleasant and improved results, but I am all FRFR (Xitone, CLR, Focal, etc....) and for those of you using power amps/real cabs the change this time may be more abrupt because of the Spkr Comp additions to AMP block, at least that is what I have gleaned from here.....perhaps you guys should check that setting to see if it is zeroed out, which seem to be the choice for PA/real cab users......but who knows... @austinbuddy has also mildly recommended not using spkr comp on his Naked Amps pkg. ...but who knows...I love it in my daily use.....

Last edited:
Hey guys, sorry to hear about9.02 stress....As someone who does notprofessionally record or Play out much anymore (im old and tired..) so maintaining consistency between FW is less crucial for me and the retweaking always bringspleasant and improved results, but I am all FRFR (Xitone, CLR, Focal, etc....) and for those of you using power amps/real cabs the change this time may be more abrupt because of the Spkr Comp additions to AMP block, at least that is what I have gleaned from here.....perhaps you guys should check that setting to see if it is zeroed out, which seem to be the choice for PA/real cab users......but who knows...@austinbuddy has also mildly recommended not using spkr comp on his Naked Amps pkg. ...but who knows...I love it in my daily use.....

Thanks I'll check. .I assumed since I wasn't using IR's/Cab Modeling on anything that parameter wasn't even an active one, but yea I'll check for sure. I think the amp modeling just really changed a lot between 7.01 and 9.02 and my main loves didn't improve like many of the others. There are sooo many great tones on this thing there's no way all of them could improve. p.s. I'm 57 (which is old to a lot of guys on my guitar forums now, but maybe not as I've been on them since the mid 90's! lol) . .

I have time today to re-set up my rig and start reprogramming again , so I'm gonna get at it. .4 more gigs between now and the end of the year, and it's my busiest month ever I think in my 39 year gig history! I'm very lucky that I have many options if I can't get this to my satisfaction, but I'm going to go for it as I love this unit

Eric

Thanks I'll check. .I assumed since I wasn't using IR's/Cab Modeling on anything that parameter wasn't even an active one, but yea I'll check for sure. I think the amp modeling just really changed a lot between 7.01 and 9.02 and my main loves didn't improve like many of the others. There are sooo many great tones on this thing there's no way all of them could improve. p.s. I'm 57 (which is old to a lot of guys on my guitar forums now, but maybe not as I've been on them since the mid 90's! lol) . .

I have time today to re-set up my rig and start reprogramming again , so I'm gonna get at it. .4 more gigs between now and the end of the year, and it's my busiest month ever I think in my 39 year gig history! I'm very lucky that I have many options if I can't get this to my satisfaction, but I'm going to go for it as I love this unit

Eric
Cool, Hope IT helps.....and yes I too was still gigging fairly steady at 57..but enuffs enough in my mid 60s......

My patches didn’t sound as good. Guess I’ll hqve to start tweaking. Gain was weird and my guitar wasn’t cutting through the mix live.
I tweaked up a bit of presence (I use boutique, presence was 0 before, now below 2), my sounds cut again.

Updated from 8 today. Played for like an hour with my clean and crunch patches. I'll touch some levels later, but Best Update Yet. No issues at all.

Cool, Hope IT helps.....and yes I too was still gigging fairly steady at 57..but enuffs enough in my mid 60s......
You guys are making me feel depressed.
I'm 51 and never want to stop gigging, is this my fate also?

Back
Top Bottom