AX8 V9.02 Released!

You guys are making me feel depressed.
I'm 51 and never want to stop gigging, is this my fate also?

REDD, don't get depressed. . at 57 I'm still playing the music of my choice "ROCK" to audiences typically in their 20's and 30's. When we play for people in their 40's and 50's and 60's we might be 'too loud' or they want to hear more classic-rock instead of newer stuff. That's the only depressing part. . . My ears aren't what they were, and also I get a bit sore the day or 2 after from lugging the PA gear ,etc. . Other than that it's still fun as can be. As for mid-60's like Brad was saying, yea I plan on being done with this too, or at least start being in a 'blues or r&b" as I'm not good enough for jazz/classical! Enjoy it while you can! Eric

I've noticed some input volume issues since updating...anyone else?

It seems sometimes the input seems lower than usual, to the point where at band practice I raised my cleans, only to come home to have them clipping like crazy (no setting or set-up changes between band practice and playing at home). I thought I was going mad, but the unit kept doing this; would take the normal level and play it way quieter. It seems to fix itself when I cycle the unit, at least for a while, but usually ends up going back to the lower input side of things.

Anyone else having this issue?

I've noticed some input volume issues since updating...anyone else?

It seems sometimes the input seems lower than usual, to the point where at band practice I raised my cleans, only to come home to have them clipping like crazy (no setting or set-up changes between band practice and playing at home). I thought I was going mad, but the unit kept doing this; would take the normal level and play it way quieter. It seems to fix itself when I cycle the unit, at least for a while, but usually ends up going back to the lower input side of things.

Anyone else having this issue?

I'm not sure why no one replied, but I'm not sure I completely understand what you're saying? If you're saying the same exact settings will fluctuate in volume, sounds to me there's a dirty pot/switch/connector either on the AX8 or your guitar (It's sure happened to me with my amps , or guitar controls before), or otherwise something else the matter with the AX8, as the fw upgrade really shouldn't cause anything like that. I did find a few oddities with that stuff while in programs programming them (Especially with lo-end weirdness) but once I've programmed all my presets, they remain constant. Any new developments on this? Eric

I'm not sure why no one replied, but I'm not sure I completely understand what you're saying? If you're saying the same exact settings will fluctuate in volume, sounds to me there's a dirty pot/switch/connector either on the AX8 or your guitar (It's sure happened to me with my amps , or guitar controls before), or otherwise something else the matter with the AX8, as the fw upgrade really shouldn't cause anything like that. I did find a few oddities with that stuff while in programs programming them (Especially with lo-end weirdness) but once I've programmed all my presets, they remain constant. Any new developments on this? Eric

The same settings will fluctuate but not intermittently - only if I cycle or change presets. So basically it's like there's a volume drop caused by something, and cycling the unit fixes it temporarily. But once it's back on and normal, it tends to go back to quiet mode if I switch to another preset.

Fractal support is helping me with this, but none of my settings or set-ups have changed...the only variable that changed since this started is the FW update.

The same settings will fluctuate but not intermittently - only if I cycle or change presets. So basically it's like there's a volume drop caused by something, and cycling the unit fixes it temporarily. But once it's back on and normal, it tends to go back to quiet mode if I switch to another preset.

Fractal support is helping me with this, but none of my settings or set-ups have changed...the only variable that changed since this started is the FW update.

Please keep me (US) posted on what the verdict is. I've noticed it just a few times but nothing recently. THANKS and GOOD LUCK! Eric

Please keep me (US) posted on what the verdict is. I've noticed it just a few times but nothing recently. THANKS and GOOD LUCK! Eric

Nothing yet - at band practice last night it was still doing this despite resetting factory parameters.

I am using MIDI to trigger preset and scene changes...I was wondering if that may be contributing to this? However, I imagine if a CC or PC command lowered the volume/levels, that there would be some indication of this on a "Master" or "Level" or "Volume" type setting, and there isn't. So basically I'm having lower levels without any values changing...the only way I'm able to confirm it's happening is because it just sounds quieter, and the levels on the VU meter are a good -10db lower than they should be (but amp levels, masters, etc are no changing).

I'm going to try to play around without MIDI triggering and see if that makes a difference, though as I mentioned I'm only sending PC and CC messages, and can't imagine what, if anything, would be sending a command to lower the levels the way it's doing.

Nothing yet - at band practice last night it was still doing this despite resetting factory parameters.

I am using MIDI to trigger preset and scene changes...I was wondering if that may be contributing to this? However, I imagine if a CC or PC command lowered the volume/levels, that there would be some indication of this on a "Master" or "Level" or "Volume" type setting, and there isn't. So basically I'm having lower levels without any values changing...the only way I'm able to confirm it's happening is because it just sounds quieter, and the levels on the VU meter are a good -10db lower than they should be (but amp levels, masters, etc are no changing).

I'm going to try to play around without MIDI triggering and see if that makes a difference, though as I mentioned I'm only sending PC and CC messages, and can't imagine what, if anything, would be sending a command to lower the levels the way it's doing.

AHH, great info. . I don't use Midi so can't be of any help, but my 1st suggestion would be to try everything with NO Midi for awhile and see if that solves the issue. Then you've isolated it to some 'midi' issue. Your ears and the VU meter don't lie though! Good luck, Eric

You guys are making me feel depressed.
I'm 51 and never want to stop gigging, is this my fate also?

Like you brother I love it too. Next March I will be 55 yo. I am playing better and more consistently that I ever have and get just as much enjoyment (maybe more) that I ever did. The body has a few more aches and pains after a gig but that's a small price to pay I say. I love this stuff (Fractal) and love playing. One day I will be ready to stop - and by then I expect I'll be at peace with that. As for now - just bring it on. Peace out!

I'm 58 and do a lot of home recording these days, I'd still go out for a few gigs if they were withwhile or with decent players. Lost way too much hearing from this passion as well. John Lee hooker played right up to very old age. Take heart and keep at it guys I say.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom