AX8 V8.02 Public Beta

Sure, that would give you the AxeFX presets for the AX8, but the AX8 presets are not the same as the AxeFX presets...
Agreed. All of those AxeFx presets that have multiple amps and cabs would not be compatible.

I would like a refresh of the Bank A Presets. I should feel guilty but I've not created any presets of my own. Just use the built in ones. So far no issues for me on 8.02beta.

Just gave 8.02 a workout. Sounding nice. Switched my cabs to the last one on the list and 3rd from last. The new ones sound very similar to the ones I was using before , just a touch ..... Clearer maybe ?
Ive been experimenting with the Fender cleans , and I am so impressed. In my opinion , these are the toughest sounds to accurately produce digitally , and FAS is doing it incredibly well at the moment. I am SO glad I jumped on board with you guys. I may NEVER play my amps again.

Agreed. All of those AxeFx presets that have multiple amps and cabs would not be compatible.

I am not sure how many of the factory presets that have 2 amps, but other than that the sound is identical, so it would be the same.

EDIT: I just went through the new Bank A and there seems to be 6 of 128 presets with dual amp, the rest should be fine to convert directly to AX8.

Last edited:
Hmmm.....

I think, I agree that this firmware is very bright to the point of being obnoxious. Every amp I try feels piercing - with my trusty old PRS that doesn't have overly bright pickups.

One caveat though - I just installed some new acoustic treatment to my room, so that might change the balance a bit, but it should not be like that.

EDIT: It might be the room. It didn't sound overly bright in my headphones (through audio interface)

But I think it is realistic. The 100w marshalls I´ve played (for example) are very bright. And a fender twin is usually bright. It can be rounded of with a softer speaker IR or som eq:ing. There is an attack that I find very true to the original amps in this firmware. I think it´s easier to hi cut something than to bring out some life from a sound that just isn´t there.

I am not sure how many of the factory presets that have 2 amps, but other than that the sound is identical, so it would be the same.

EDIT: I just went through the new Bank A and there seems to be 6 of 128 presets with dual amp, the rest should be fine to convert directly to AX8.

You still missed the point. The presets in the AX8 are an entirely different group of presets. They are not just the AxeFX presets converted to the AX8.

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Factory_presets

Regardless, it doesn't matter to me. I always make my own presets.

You still missed the point. The presets in the AX8 are an entirely different group of presets. They are not just the AxeFX presets converted to the AX8.

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Factory_presets

Regardless, it doesn't matter to me. I always make my own presets.

Same amps, same effects same sound. Just organized in a different way.
I think you missed my point as well so lets not argue anymore about that :)

The new bank A is amazing and worth a try also on the AX8.

I didn't miss your point. There lots of differences between the two sets of presets - The AxeFX presets do not have footswitch assignments, and there are more FX blocks in lots of the AxeFX presets than the AX8 can handle without disabling the reverb. There are presets in the AX8 that do not exist in the AxeFX. Simply put, they are not the same.

Yes, Fractool is helpful, but for those that rely on the factory presets I think it would be LESS work for them to go through the presets on the AX8 to manually reset the amp block than it would be to convert the AxeFX presets and then go through all them to make footswitch assignments, and to remove excess FX that FAS has removed from the AX8 presets in order to make them fit in the CPU limit without disabling the reverb.

YMMV

I just installed the 8.02beta. I must say I'm happier with the fender cleans when I compare it to v7.01

Although I still have to fiddle with some knobs on some of my own presets to make them sound good again; my overall impression is fractal guys are on the right track with this one. So thank you for that and keep it up.

Just gave 8.02 a workout. Sounding nice. Switched my cabs to the last one on the list and 3rd from last. The new ones sound very similar to the ones I was using before , just a touch ..... Clearer maybe ?
Ive been experimenting with the Fender cleans , and I am so impressed. In my opinion , these are the toughest sounds to accurately produce digitally , and FAS is doing it incredibly well at the moment. I am SO glad I jumped on board with you guys. I may NEVER play my amps again.

That was the one that did it for me. Actually not just the cleans but when they break up. Other modelers would get fuzzy and farty but the Fractal gets this much more realistic choked overdrive sound like the amp is about to explode.

This. Fractal has totally nailed the transition into breakup.

I guess I should have been more specific. The cleans and the edge of breakup is where it's at. This is the domain that modelers have failed to realistically imitate in the past. This latest update has really raised the bar.
My "distorted" sound is created with a fine , articulate clean amp , with a drive pedal , as apposed to a purely "dirty" amp.
My fav amp is currently a fender , that is clean - with my guitar volume around 7-8 , and breaks ups at full on , then pushed into overdrive with the help of a pedal. I can't get enough.

I haven't yet update to 8.02 because there's little time to play with my job and 22 month baby and I've been spent it preparing songs for a new group but there seems there isn't any important bug this time with this beta, is there? at least I don't recall anything in this topic.

This. Fractal has totally nailed the transition into breakup.

Yes, but the thing that is cool is that they didn't sit around listening to "transition into breakup" samples, and then go write software to reproduce it. They just code what the amp (et al) does to the input signal, at each stage (dozens? idk) , and it just comes out sounding like the amp, based on a given input signal. It's a beautiful thing.,

Yes, but the thing that is cool is that they didn't sit around listening to "transition into breakup" samples, and then go write software to reproduce it. They just code what the amp (et al) does to the input signal, at each stage (dozens? idk) , and it just comes out sounding like the amp, based on a given input signal. It's a beautiful thing.,
The trick is knowing what the amp is really doing. There's so much more going on than can be gleaned from a schematic. Some of it does involve listening—sometimes with ears, sometimes with test equipment. ;)

And yes, it's a beautiful thing.

Back
Top Bottom