AX8 V8.00 Public Beta

I have 8 beta installed and love it. I have 8 on my AxeII and love it. I tried 8.01 and it could be me but I didn't like it as much, sounds like it has hints of 7.02 that I didn't like. Could be just my mind tripping though. Cliff will say nothing changed and I'll be thinking it's in my head for sure.

where did you find 8.01?

I really like the fact that FAS offers a free upgrade policy. In my opinion the current version 7 was already worth buying this product. But i love new features and for me this truly provides that kind of customer intimacy that you would like to expect on a high-end product.

Well done!

I finally tried it. I noticed +3% in CPU and -12dB or more in output level. I made refresh after FW update, made reset of Amp block and still the same.

Last edited:
I finally tried it. I noticed +3% in CPU and -12dB or more in output level. I made refresh after FW update, made reset of Amp block and still the same.

That sounds like some thing is wrong. I'm not seeing any increase in CPU, nor have I seen any drop off in output levels. Is this with a specific amp model, or all amp models? Did you try re-installing the firmware?

There has never been a standard for output levels in amp models. It can differ quite a bit between models. Don't ask me why. I asked before after a standard level. For example , if you put the master level at full blast and the power section distorts, then all amps could have the same level. But nobody listened. In fact I had stupid answers on he forum like "a 100w amp should be louder than a 15w", and things like that.
So I don't think there is anything wrong with the firmware, even if the level difference between amp models is rather unpractical

That sounds like some thing is wrong. I'm not seeing any increase in CPU, nor have I seen any drop off in output levels. Is this with a specific amp model, or all amp models? Did you try re-installing the firmware?
I had no problems and Q8 is working properly (and is stellar)!

There has never been a standard for output levels in amp models. It can differ quite a bit between models. Don't ask me why. I asked before after a standard level. For example , if you put the master level at full blast and the power section distorts, then all amps could have the same level. But nobody listened. In fact I had stupid answers on he forum like "a 100w amp should be louder than a 15w", and things like that.
So I don't think there is anything wrong with the firmware, even if the level difference between amp models is rather unpractical

I didn't interpret his post as saying that he's noticing the difference between the output levels of the various amp models. I took it that compared to previous FW his presets are now using 3% more CPU and the output for his presets has dropped 12dB or more. I guess the OP will have to clarify what he meant.

I definitely agree with you that it would be nice if FAS made the output levels of the various amp models more consistent. And I definitely agree with you that in the digital world there should not be any correlation between output volume of the modeled amps and the wattage of the modeled amp. The idea that the output volume of a 100 watt amp model should be more than the output volume of a 15 watt amp model in the digital world is pretty silly.

Ultimately, I just use the VU meter on the AX8 (and my ears) to set the levels between presets so that they are relatively equivalent.

I have noticed an overall volume drop.

-12 dB?

I noticed a little going from FW 6 to FW 7, but nothing even remotely close to 12 dB. I did not notice any drop going from 7 to 8.

Last edited:
And I definitely agree with you that in the digital world there should not be any correlation between output volume of the modeled amps and the wattage of the modeled amp. The idea that the output volume of a 100 watt amp model should be more than the output volume of a 15 watt amp model in the digital world is pretty silly.

That's indeed silly, and I can't imagine that this has ever been suggested (officially).

Don't ask me why. I asked before after a standard level. For example , if you put the master level at full blast and the power section distorts, then all amps could have the same level.

It doesn't work that way. If you put the MV at full blast the level is dependent upon the amount of preamp gain. The voltage at the onset of clipping does not determine the perceived volume. As soon as things distort the perceived volume is dependent upon the amount of distortion which is determined by the amount of gain and the signal level into the amp (which is dependent upon pickup strength, string gauge, technique, drive pedals, etc., etc., etc.).

Furthermore no one puts the MV at full blast on MV amps because they usually don't sound good that way.

Last edited:
Beta BUGS: I ran a full show last night with the public beta and ran into several glitchy bugs.
#1. A boost disengaged itself in the middle of a solo.
#2. Output suddenly changed in a preset and I had digital clipping throughout an entire song before I could fix it. (I set all presets at 0db on the VU meter...nothing was different about this preset)
#3. I used Axe Edit to make a change to my pedal lineup, but the change didn't save on some presets for some reason.

Weird thing is...I ran through all of my presets after making the changes to verify volume and pedal layout the night before. These issues seemed to pop up for no apparent reason. I've never had any issues with any FW or Beta release, but this one seems to some kinks. However, my tone was great as always thanks to this great tool. :)

Thanks for your feedback about vol. drop in FW 8b.
I reloaded 8b, refreshed, hard resetted several amp blocks. Still at least 12 db less vol. I have to turn OUT 1 fully up, also my headphone amp, then increase the amp block level by 12 db to be where I was with OUT 1 at 50 %. Strange.
Maybe 8.01 will cure this - in my case anyway...
but: found a new love - a clean Hook amp...

I didn't interpret his post as saying that he's noticing the difference between the output levels of the various amp models. I took it that compared to previous FW his presets are now using 3% more CPU and the output for his presets has dropped 12dB or more. I guess the OP will have to clarify what he meant.

I definitely agree with you that it would be nice if FAS made the output levels of the various amp models more consistent. And I definitely agree with you that in the digital world there should not be any correlation between output volume of the modeled amps and the wattage of the modeled amp. The idea that the output volume of a 100 watt amp model should be more than the output volume of a 15 watt amp model in the digital world is pretty silly.

Ultimately, I just use the VU meter on the AX8 (and my ears) to set the levels between presets so that they are relatively equivalent.

-12 dB?

I noticed a little going from FW 6 to FW 7, but nothing even remotely close to 12 dB. I did not notice any drop going from 7 to 8.

On some patches i have -12dB and after update to Q8 I must go to 0-2 dB. It is first time when I noticed such things after update. I will try reflash it once again and look on more patches.

I reloaded 8b, refreshed, hard resetted several amp blocks. Still at least 12 db less vol. I have to turn OUT 1 fully up, also my headphone amp, then increase the amp block level by 12 db to be where I was with OUT 1 at 50 %. Strange.
Check your global settings. Mine have tripped me up before.

If that doesn't do it, build a basic amp&scab preset from scratch. Still have the same issue?

Thanks for your feedback about vol. drop in FW 8b.
Maybe 8.01 will cure this - in my case anyway...
but: found a new love - a clean Hook amp...
The same here. First thought after update was: something wrong with my mixer or OUT Level 1 knob... but not. I rolled back to Q7 and all is OK.

Back
Top Bottom