AX8 V7.02 Public Beta

My signal chain is cab block to mixing desk via out 1 and out 2 (before cab block) to Power Station and guitar cab (Celestial Cream). In this scenario is it best just to leave the motor drive off, or is it possible it will sound good / better with it on, i.e. is it worth trying or a stupid idea to use motor drive when there is a 'real' cab present? Anyone had a go with a similar set up? Any insight appreciated. Thanks!

In this scenario is it best just to leave the motor drive off, or is it possible it will sound good / better with it on...
Two minutes in front of your rig will answer your question—in the context of your gear—better than any of us could. ;)

Two minutes in front of your rig will answer your question—in the context of your gear—better than any of us could. ;)

Of course, just curious if anyone had tried it with a similar set up I think I will copy my main patch and add some motor drive so I can A/B it.

To A/B you can also use XY in the amp block. Copy X to Y and adjust motor drive in one of the states.

That's a good idea; I think I can set up a foot switch 'block' to switch amp X and Y as well?

I have just had a quick play. First AX8 into a Neo CLR. Putting motor drive to 7 made the notes pop out and is a definite improvement, so I want to use it. I set up out 2 to the Power Station, no motor drive, and I am instantly reminded why I like to use the Power Station, very lively sound. With the motor drive on 7 with the Power Station, first thing to report is that nothing blew up and no small furry creatures died. I had fun on Scene 3 (Friedman HBE amp, 4 scenes set to go from quite clean through to pretty dirty) using a Strat with Kinman Woodstocks and playing Burn and stuff like that. On Scene 1, clean, things sounded a bit odd, very in your face, a bit harsh. This is very much first impression, and I am at home so cannot use much volume at all. Hopefully we will have a band practice on Monday as I really want to try this at band volume, maybe with the motor drive at around 3 or 4.

I had some audio glitches today on 7.02beta in a loaded preset while using Motor Drive. The Reverb block didn't auto-disable so it probably wasn't a CPU issue. I was getting cracks/pops as if there was clipping in the chain (there wasn't). CPU was hovering around 85% while idle. Motor Drive was at 4. When I turned Motor Drive to 0, I played the same phrases and the cracks were gone.

This happened using the JTM45 and then again with the Plexi 100W 1970. Still in the same preset, I can crank Motor Drive with a DC30 or Double Verb Vib and have no issues.

It wasn't an overall level issue because I could turn the Amp Level down significantly and still hear the cracks on loud notes (only with those two amps). And to reiterate, I wasn't anywhere near clipping the AX8 input, the AX8 output (as seen on the VU Meter and the Out Clip LED), or the inputs of my interface. Each crack could be seen on my interface input meter as a brief 10-20dB increase.

Maybe it was CPU related; maybe it was internal clipping in the Amp block, but I didn't think that was easily possible.

Can someone else test this? I'll upload the preset if necessary but wanted to see first if it can be universally reproduced.

I had some audio glitches today on 7.02beta in a loaded preset while using Motor Drive. The Reverb block didn't auto-disable so it probably wasn't a CPU issue. I was getting cracks/pops as if there was clipping in the chain (there wasn't). CPU was hovering around 85% while idle. Motor Drive was at 4. When I turned Motor Drive to 0, I played the same phrases and the cracks were gone.

This happened using the JTM45 and then again with the Plexi 100W 1970. Still in the same preset, I can crank Motor Drive with a DC30 or Double Verb Vib and have no issues.

It wasn't an overall level issue because I could turn the Amp Level down significantly and still hear the cracks on loud notes (only with those two amps). And to reiterate, I wasn't anywhere near clipping the AX8 input, the AX8 output (as seen on the VU Meter and the Out Clip LED), or the inputs of my interface. Each crack could be seen on my interface input meter as a brief 10-20dB increase.

Maybe it was CPU related; maybe it was internal clipping in the Amp block, but I didn't think that was easily possible.

Can someone else test this? I'll upload the preset if necessary but wanted to see first if it can be universally reproduced.

Tried them both , no problems. I'll say the Plexi 1970 sounded worse with the motor drive turned up , but no pops or cracks , and the JTM45 was immediately louder ( with my preset configuration. ) - but still no pops/cracks. BTW , my speaker Drive is at default .50
You may have to post something

Last edited:
Tried them both , no problems. I'll say the Plexi 1970 sounded worse with the motor drive turned up , but no pops or cracks , and the JTM45 was immediately louder ( with my preset configuration. ) - but still no pops/cracks. BTW , my speaker Drive is at default .50
You may have to post something

Thanks for testing; I'll investigate further and report back.

That's a CPU issue. 85% at idle can become 90% or more with signal. If you're right on the verge of CPU overload, pops and clicks can happen.

Used beta 7.02 through 4 easter services today. Worked like a champ.

Seems with each new update it becomes easier and easier to dial in great tone. The dc30 with the 2x12 blues cab is the bees knees.

Used beta 7.02 through 4 easter services today. Worked like a champ.

Seems with each new update it becomes easier and easier to dial in great tone. The dc30 with the 2x12 blues cab is the bees knees.
Same here. I use the boutique 1 or Matchless Chieftain.

Curious. Is there a place where you can see reported bugs for a beta? How much CPU/DSP does the Motor Drive add?

That's a good idea; I think I can set up a foot switch 'block' to switch amp X and Y as well?

I have just had a quick play. First AX8 into a Neo CLR. Putting motor drive to 7 made the notes pop out and is a definite improvement, so I want to use it. I set up out 2 to the Power Station, no motor drive, and I am instantly reminded why I like to use the Power Station, very lively sound. With the motor drive on 7 with the Power Station, first thing to report is that nothing blew up and no small furry creatures died. I had fun on Scene 3 (Friedman HBE amp, 4 scenes set to go from quite clean through to pretty dirty) using a Strat with Kinman Woodstocks and playing Burn and stuff like that. On Scene 1, clean, things sounded a bit odd, very in your face, a bit harsh. This is very much first impression, and I am at home so cannot use much volume at all. Hopefully we will have a band practice on Monday as I really want to try this at band volume, maybe with the motor drive at around 3 or 4.

@blackmoreguitar:
When using a Power Station, you should not use the same Amp block settings as with your CLR. As a tube amp, the PS takes care of the impedance / resonance aspects, so Resonance on the SPKR page should be set at zero. If not, you'll be hyping highs and lows, and you'll get feedback at louder volume levels. Also, make sure to set Speaker Drive in the Amp block at zero, and I'd advise the same with Motor Drive.

P.S. I also have a PS.

@blackmoreguitar:
When using a Power Station, you should not use the same Amp block settings as with your CLR. As a tube amp, the PS takes care of the impedance / resonance aspects, so Resonance on the SPKR page should be set at zero. If not, you'll be hyping highs and lows, and you'll get feedback at louder volume levels. Also, make sure to set Speaker Drive in the Amp block at zero, and I'd advise the same with Motor Drive.

P.S. I also have a PS.

Thanks for the advice Yek. Just a quick question if you don't mind; do you mic the cab when using the Power Station if you need a feed to front of house?

That would be the only option. Or, on the Axe-Fx, use two different Amp blocks and routings. One direct and one to PS.

Back
Top Bottom