AX8 V7.01 Public Beta

OK - so sitting on the floor editing playing with the optical compressors, they have exactly the same parameters as the pedal compressors (that's a bit weird to me but oh well). Flipping through Pedal Comp 1, 2 and OptoComp 1, 2 you have to listen close to hear the differences. I like what I hear though.

What's the best settings to really hear the differences? I tried with extreme gain reduction (15-20 dB) and fairly fast attack and release.

Looking at the GR meter, the new optocomps do not seem to have the release characteristics of La2a or la3a. They both have a two-step release where half of the gain reduction is released fairly quickly, and the rest is released much slower. That did not seem to be included.

Examples/presets on how to really get the most out of these new comps would be great.

Would be cool Cliff if you could add a few presets of this Compressor before and after the amp on the final release, i know my way around them, but many guitar players don't know how to properly set up a compressor before and after the amp.

Agreed I know nothing of them lol
I use them on clean stuff that about it

the wave form with the extra transients only shows that the signal got more dynamics compared to the more compressed previous tone... this means a richer tone :) but then again... who cares what it looks like... its a sound :)

This is awesome. Cool to see the first beta for ax8 this time around. I am on it :) Thanks a million Cliff.

Here is a small clip comparing Pedal Comp 1 and Opto Comp 1 - Recorded once with the looper, first is the unprocessed sound, then pedal comp and then the opto comp - All three clips have been loudness matched. The gain reduction and attack and release settings for the two comps are close to eachother (for some reason, I did not match them completely - Maybe because, I dialed by ear)

EDIT2: It seems Dropbox just made the public folder private - Try this link instead https://www.dropbox.com/s/vlkbk17dwf70u39/RawPedalOpto.mp3?dl=0

Here is a screenshot of my waveforms. There is no spikyness, but you do see a bit of compression going on.
Screenshot 2017-03-15 10.01.07.png

EDIT: Oh and yes - I DO like that OptoComp :)

Last edited:
I did my best to match the volume levels using Optical Comp 2 between amp and cab on a 2203 style preset I made. Subtle but enjoyable to play, definitely has that polished studio sound going on. This is with the sustain at 4, emphasis at 2, attack at 2ms and release at 200ms. First loop is raw, second with the comp kicked in.

Also, pretty cool that the AX8 gets a first crack at this. "We're not worthy!"

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 9.04.21 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 9.04.21 pm.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 10
Cool - I forgot to mention that mine was in front of the amp.

We Ax8ers were fortunate this time. Think about it. Save Cliff, you and I are the first in the world to post clips of this new gem :D

Cool - I forgot to mention that mine was in front of the amp.

We Ax8ers were fortunate this time. Think about it. Save Cliff, you and I are the first in the world to post clips of this new gem :D

That's wild dude! Just shot some footage using it in front of a clean amp, I'll cut it together tomorrow and post. Until then, noodling ahoy.

After the amp gives you that "instant hit record" sound.

I'm actually working on the compressor right now and I think I've figured out a way to give it a threshold which makes it more useful when used after the amp.

When used after the amp I like to dial in a little Emphasis.

Sorry for my ignorance, but I've only ever used a compressor at the beginning of the chain, and even then only sparingly...or just let the engineers work their magic (and I haven't paid much attention). When you guys say after the amp...where, exactly? Between amp and cab? Or just anywhere after the amp?

Back
Top Bottom