It makes it easy to get great tones
And the cabs the OH green and
Mesa V30 just work for about every situation

Q7 for me is a great one
I am surprised that some don't dig it
It makes it easy to get great tones
And the cabs the OH green and
Mesa V30 just work for about every situation
I don't think the complainers don't dig it, it's that there are/were quite a few issues in migrating effectively to the new firmware. It's a simple fact that it screwed up many peoples presets, both in terms of the raw tone and in terms of bugs related to cab locations, etc.

Q7 sounds amazing, no doubt!

Do you listen to music with your eyes as well?
I tried a few experiments. looks like something to do with the compressors. The spikes line up with my picking attack. The older 5.01 firmware doesn't have these pop sounds(spikes in the waveform). I'm new to this unit. I really want to move forward with the firmware but with my lack of knowledge on the unit, I can not figure out how to get around this issue.

I tried a few experiments. looks like something to do with the compressors. The spikes line up with my picking attack. The older 5.01 firmware doesn't have these pop sounds(spikes in the waveform). I'm new to this unit. I really want to move forward with the firmware but with my lack of knowledge on the unit, I can not figure out how to get around this issue.

Yes, it's obvious that the compressor settings are causing the spikes. Just going by eye it looks like your attack time is too low. The older firmware was less dynamic so those spikes were getting squashed by the lesser dynamics of the amp modeling.

Also make sure your CPU usage isn't too high. CPU usage is somewhat dependent upon input level and dynamic content since our modeling algorithms have "memory". If the CPU usage is too high transients in the signal can cause a momentary spike in CPU usage that is greater than the available resource. This can cause a click or pop. However my gut says your compressor isn't set right.

Yes, it's obvious that the compressor settings are causing the spikes. Just going by eye it looks like your attack time is too low. The older firmware was less dynamic so those spikes were getting squashed by the lesser dynamics of the amp modeling.

Also make sure your CPU usage isn't too high. CPU usage is somewhat dependent upon input level and dynamic content since our modeling algorithms have "memory". If the CPU usage is too high transients in the signal can cause a momentary spike in CPU usage that is greater than the available resource. This can cause a click or pop. However my gut says your compressor isn't set right.
You mentioned my attack time is too low. I have it set to about 10mS. The MXR dyna comp manual says it is 5mS. If I bring it higher, what might be a good number?

You mentioned my attack time is too low. I have it set to about 10mS. The MXR dyna comp manual says it is 5mS. If I bring it higher, what might be a good number?

10 ms is fine. What is the release rate? That might be too low. I find that people often set the release time very low (for some weird reason) when real compressors typically have release times in the neighborhood of 100 ms.

BTW, mS is milliSiemens. ms is milliseconds. Siemens are the reciprocal of Ohms.

10 ms is fine. What is the release rate? That might be too low. I find that people often set the release time very low (for some weird reason) when real compressors typically have release times in the neighborhood of 100 ms.

BTW, mS is milliSiemens. ms is milliseconds. Siemens are the reciprocal of Ohms.
The release is 32 ms.

I'll have to say being a new AX8 owner, I'm afraid I'm going to expect new updates every few days. In the week I've had my AX8 they are on their second firmware update (granted this is in beta but still...) Fractal is one heck of a company for sure, glad I finally made the switch!!! :D

So I'm trying to update to 7.01 to fix some of my issues. I've downloaded it, but every time I hit the browse button on Fractal bot, I get a time-out error. I've got the latest version of Fractal bot. So what now?

Turn off everything and restart everything.

So I'm trying to update to 7.01 to fix some of my issues. I've downloaded it, but every time I hit the browse button on Fractal bot, I get a time-out error. I've got the latest version of Fractal bot. So what now?
Had the same problem, but if I let Fractal bot download, it worked fine.

Updated to the 7.01 Beta yesterday. I randomly picked the Trainwreck Rocket amp. Nothing else in the signal chain (Output 1 going to a Matrix/cab). At -22dB in the mixer, the signal was so hot that it was clipping badly. Wasn't quite expecting that. Switched to a different amp (Plexi 50) - signal levels seemed normal. Input signal levels seemed fine (i.e. within acceptable range) Are there any known issues with signal levels in certain amps? I can also upload the patch later tonight after I get back home..

Updated to the 7.01 Beta yesterday. I randomly picked the Trainwreck Rocket amp. Nothing else in the signal chain (Output 1 going to a Matrix/cab). At -22dB in the mixer, the signal was so hot that it was clipping badly. Wasn't quite expecting that. Switched to a different amp (Plexi 50) - signal levels seemed normal. Input signal levels seemed fine (i.e. within acceptable range) Are there any known issues with signal levels in certain amps? I can also upload the patch later tonight after I get back home..
not sure. this is a beta, so we need that sort of data. thanks for the report.

Does this 7.01 beta work with AX8 Edit 1.8 for Windows (from March 10)?

Axe Edit usually works with Beta, but you just won't see new features -- like the optical compressors -- in Axe Edit until it's out of beta and a new version of Axe Edit is released. I haven't tried with this release yet.

Back
Top Bottom