AX8 V7.01 Public Beta

The AX8 V7.01 Pubic Beta is now available for download. This firmware addresses a couple of issues discovered the V7.00 release. Please NOTE: This is BETA firmware, and as such may contain bugs and other unintended operational issues. Please read the release notes before installing, and as always, we recommend you back up your AX8 with Fractal-Bot before upgrading.

AX8 V7.01 Public Beta

RELEASE NOTES:

AX8 V7.01 fixes a couple of bugs from V7.00 and adds 2 new compressors to the COMPRESSOR block.

Additions:
  • Added “OPTICAL 1” and “OPTICAL 2” compressors to the COMPRESSOR block.
FIXES:
  • Fixed a bug that caused a drop in output gain on some amp models.
  • Fixed the loading of User Cabs on presets created with firmware older than V7.00.
  • Improved runtime performance by 0.5% - 1.0% depending on the preset. NOTE: Your mileage may vary depending on controller assignments and global settings.
I am seeing the same issue I had with 6.02...spikes in the waves. 7.01 does not fix this. Any ideas.
---My previous post---
I just updated from 5.01 to the 6.02 and first thing i had to do was turn my out1 level from 9 oclock to 11 oclock ( to match the outputs).
I am now noticing some extra spikes in the waveform. I'm using the T808mod and vibrolux amp. I didn't see anything in the release notes that would affect these besides gain. did I miss something? Planning on rolling back to 5.01... see pictures of the wave files.
501vs602-png.38457

I am seeing the same issue I had with 6.02...spikes in the waves. 7.01 does not fix this. Any ideas.
---My previous post---
I just updated from 5.01 to the 6.02 and first thing i had to do was turn my out1 level from 9 oclock to 11 oclock ( to match the outputs).
I am now noticing some extra spikes in the waveform. I'm using the T808mod and vibrolux amp. I didn't see anything in the release notes that would affect these besides gain. did I miss something? Planning on rolling back to 5.01... see pictures of the wave files.
501vs602-png.38457

Mmm i dont understand... all im hearing is glorious tones with V7, best FW to date IMO, but what are those extra spikes in your waveform sound like?

might i suggest perhaps naming these, so it's easier to remember the difference? perhaps "opti peak" and "opti rms"?

Not that I'm against this, but one argument to leave names generic is to preclude any bias or prejudice based on the name. Users should try one, then the other, and use whichever they think sounds better

---My previous post---
501vs602-png.38457

Do you listen to music with your eyes as well?

Mmm i dont understand... all im hearing is glorious tones with V7, best FW to date IMO, but what are those extra spikes in your waveform sound like?
The extra spikes sound like my picking attack and pops (for the loud ones). These would not be good into a large PA unless they put a limiter on my channel. The overall sound isn't bad but I'm worried that these new spikes that sometimes are pops could get me in trouble with the sound engineer.

The extra spikes sound like pops. I don't normally listen with my eyes but the waveform can catch some things that would cause a peak on a system board. I'm just nervous when the pops are put into a loud PA.
Post the preset for someone else to try.

Post the preset for someone else to try.
Hi, thanks. good idea. I use this preset with a LesPaul. It's a fairly clean patch I use for slide parts. Hope someone can try it and see if the spikes/pops are there.

Attachments

• LP-Clean-dyna-comp.syx
    12.7 KB · Views: 5
Hi, thanks. good idea. I use this preset with a LesPaul. It's a fairly clean patch I use for slide parts. Hope someone can try it and see if the spikes/pops are there.

The title of the preset reveals the problem.

OK, I am taking a leap of faith. I am updating without backing up for the first time. I did a backup on Sunday, so I should be OK, but it still feels strange. I am just so curiuos to try the new comps.

pardon my ignorance, after updating do i need to do anything else or all the sounds are updated automatically? I keep on reading on having to reset stuff etc, am i missing something?

Really like the optical compressor 1. I built my own LA2A clone, which has a great sound on vocals and guitar.

"Lady Writer," from Dire Strait's Communique album, is a good example of this tone.

With the optical compressor it's easy to cop this tone, including on that great descending hammer on/pull off/slide down lick that Knopfler plays.

I'm using it first in the chain, but should also try it late in the chain (after the cab), which is where a LA2A would go in the studio.

So nice to have this as a (free) addition to the AX-8!

Philo

Really like the optical compressor 1. I built my own LA2A clone, which has a great sound on vocals and guitar.

"Lady Writer," from Dire Strait's Communique album, is a good example of this tone.

With the optical compressor it's easy to cop this tone, including on that great descending hammer on/pull off/slide down lick that Knopfler plays.

I'm using it first in the chain, but should also try it late in the chain (after the cab), which is where a LA2A would go in the studio.

So nice to have this as a (free) addition to the AX-8!

Philo

After the amp gives you that "instant hit record" sound.

I'm actually working on the compressor right now and I think I've figured out a way to give it a threshold which makes it more useful when used after the amp.

When used after the amp I like to dial in a little Emphasis.

There seems to be a bug in Optical Comp 1

When I select it in AX8edit, it gets selected on the unit as well, but in AX8edit, there is a Threshold parameter, but on the unit there is a Sustain parameter. Changing the Threshold in Ax8edit does not change the Sustain knob on the unit, and there is no change in gain reduction with threshold. It seems that AX8edit is pointing to a non-existing parameter.

Same goes for Optical 2

Are the optical comps the same as studio comp with regard to the release timing being accurate?

After the amp gives you that "instant hit record" sound.

I'm actually working on the compressor right now and I think I've figured out a way to give it a threshold which makes it more useful when used after the amp.

When used after the amp I like to dial in a little Emphasis.

Would be cool Cliff if you could add a few presets of this Compressor before and after the amp on the final release, i know my way around them, but many guitar players don't know how to properly set up a compressor before and after the amp.

AX8 edit probably needs an update or refresh..... always comes after FW.....
Nope - that did not help

Maybe, the OptoComps are just not really in AX8edit yet - AX8edit just shows the studio comp interface, but Threshold, Ratio and filter are not connected to any parameters on the unit. The detection parameter is not on the unit either. On the other ahnd, the unit has the Emphasis levle, which is not in AX8edit.

Nope - that did not help

Maybe, the OptoComps are just not really in AX8edit yet - AX8edit just shows the studio comp interface, but Threshold, Ratio and filter are not connected to any parameters on the unit. The detection parameter is not on the unit either. On the other ahnd, the unit has the Emphasis levle, which is not in AX8edit.
That's what I meant by update.

Nope - that did not help

Beta releases rarely function perfectly with the editors -- you'll need to wait for the final release and an editor release that's in lockstep if you want to use them together.

Back
Top Bottom