AX8 V7.00 Released

J

joe rogers

The AX8 V7.00 has been released and is currently available for download. V7.00 implements the new Quantum 7.0 amp modeling recently introduced on the AxeFX. Additionally, new OwnHammer cabinet IR's have been added to the CAB block.

This firmware is a significant change from V6.02, so we strongly encourage you to read the release notes carefully before installing. Additionally, as with all new firmware upgrades, we strongly encourage you to backup your AX8 using Fractal-Bot before you begin the installation.

AX8 V7.00

Release Notes:

AX8 V7.00 implements enhancements and bug fixes from the Axe-FX Quantum V7.00.

Additions:
  • Added “LEARN” to the “CUST. SHIFT” in the PITCH block.
  • Improved phase inverter modeling in Amp block. This provides thicker power amp distortion. New algorithm also includes bias shifting which results in more harmonic spectrum variation with input amplitude. This improves feel, “knock” and creates sweeter single note soloing. The new “PI Bias Shift” parameter controls the amount of phase inverter bias shift. Note that some real amps are “spitty” in nature due to PI bias shifting, i.e. Trainwrecks, and the new algorithm is designed to replicate that behavior accurately. If you find the behavior undesirable reduce the PI Bias Shift value as desired although this will reduce authenticity.
  • Improved output transformer modeling. This results in tighter, less boomy and smoother bass when the virtual power amp is driven hard. Note that this change may be significant and initially alarming with certain amp models. While the new algorithms are much more accurate they may be disconcerting to those who are accustomed to the old algorithms. In these cases the user may want to decrease the Transformer Drive and/or Low Res parameters in the amp block at the expense of accuracy. It is recommended instead, however, to readjust other parameters in the preset (i.e. Drive, BMT, etc.) which will achieve more authentic results.
  • Improved Amp block cathode follower modeling (again). This results in tighter bass and “chunkier” tones. As a result nearly all amp models that use cathode followers have been reworked with updated parameters. It is recommended that the model be reloaded by deselecting and reselecting the desired model which will load the pertinent default values. Models that have benefited the most from this include:
    • Bogfish
    • Brit 800
    • CA3+
    • Cameron CCV
    • Corncob
    • Dizzy V4 Blue
    • Dizzy V4 Silver
    • Herbie
    • Recto1 and Recto2
    • Solo 88, 99 and 100
  • Changed default value of Speaker Drive to 0.5. When selecting an amp model the Speaker Drive parameter will now default to a value of 0.5 which is commensurate with a small amount of speaker breakup. Adjust this value to taste, if desired. If using the Axe-Fx II with a power amp and conventional guitar speakers you may want to reduce this value as the guitar speakers will impart their own distortion.
  • Added “Dirty Shirley 2” amp model based on an earlier version of this amp with some different component values. This model is a little more aggressive than the regular model.
  • Changed “Bludojai Clean” amp model so that “Pre-Amp Bypass” is off (Pre-Amp Bypass actually bypasses the tone stack and increases the gain so it should be more correctly referred to as “Tone Stack Bypass”).
  • Added “Brit 800 #34” amp model based on the “Santiago #34” modifications.
  • Changed taper of Overdrive control in “USA Lead” amp models so that control is not so abrupt.
  • Replaced following OwnHammer factory cabs with new IRs (see Note 2):
    • Cab #57 with “4x12 MAR PR-H55 FULL”
    • Cab #142 with “1x12 DLX P12R Fat”
    • Cab #146 with “4x10 SUPER VERB CTS FAT”
    • Cab #148 with “4x12 MAR PR-M20B FULL”
    • Cab #149 with “4x12 TRAD V60 FULL”
  • Added five new cabs comprised of our favorite mixes from several of our latest cab packs:
    • 1x12 Class-A 15W Mix
    • 1x15 Vibrato Verb Mix
    • 2x12 Class-A 30W Mix
    • 4x10 SuperVerb Mix
    • 4x12 Greenback Mix
  • Added “3-Band Console” to the Graphic EQ block.
Fixes:
  • Corrected a potential crash bug in the DRIVE block initialization.
  • Fixed mistake in preamp compression algorithm.
  • Fixed missing feedback network capacitor in all “Recto” models. This results in extended bass response.
  • Fixed mistakes in “Euro” amp models.
  • Fixed mistakes in “Cameron” amp models.
  • Fixed several mistakes in “Shiver” amp models.
  • Fixed mistakes in “Hot Kitty” amp model.
  • Fixed wrong transformer match value in “Citrus Terrier” model.
  • Fixed “Ruby Rocket” and “Ruby Rocket Brt” model names swapped. The amp’s bright switch is logically backwards (bright on is switch down).
  • Fixed input gain slightly too high in “Solo 88 Cln” model.
  • Fixed wrong phase inverter tail resistor and snubber capacitor values in “Brit AFS100” models.
  • Fixed wrong screen resistor value in all “PVH” models.
  • Fixed the dynamic meter display on the Dynamics Page of the AMP block.
  • Fixed bug that prevented the “CRUNCH” parameter from saving correctly with the preset in the Public Beta.
  • Fixed the User Cabinet offset bug discovered in the Public Beta. All user cabinets will line correctly even if they were shifted by the user on V7.00 Public Beta.
NOTES:

1. This firmware has significant changes to the core algorithms. While every attempt has been made to ensure compatibility with existing presets it is recommended that the amp block be reset by deselecting and reselecting the desired amp model to load the new default values and the preset then auditioned and readjusted as necessary.

2. Fractal Audio Systems is pleased to announce that our online store will be carrying a new series of OwnHammer Cab Packs containing high-quality IRs for use with the Axe-Fx II, AX8, or Cab-Lab. In addition, OwnHammer has provided five new IRs to replace some of the factory cabs they provided previously, including one free sample from the new, "OwnHammer 412 Mar Green Vintage" available now at http://shop.fractalaudio.com. This pack contains some of the best IRs we've ever heard and is simply a "must have" for vintage 4x12 "Brit Green" tones.

• Fixed the User Cabinet offset bug discovered in the Public Beta. All user cabinets will line correctly even if they were shifted by the user on V7.00 Public Beta.

Awesome! I had to shift all my user cabs over one by one. Glad to know they'll still be correct even with this release.

I tried one of my presets so far, noticeable improvement....sounds more musical..but woah does it get snarly when you start cranking!

Just loaded and reset one bank of amp models. First thing I notice is some get louder and some quieter. Also, the bright switch reset to off position on the super verb but not on the plexi.
So it appears each preset should be checked.

The AX8 V7.00 has been released and is currently available for download. V7.00 implements the new Quantum 7.0 amp modeling recently introduced on the AxeFX. Additionally, new OwnHammer cabinet IR's have been added to the CAB block.

This firmware is a significant change from V6.02, so we strongly encourage you to read the release notes carefully before installing. Additionally, as with all new firmware upgrades, we strongly encourage you to backup your AX8 using Fractal-Bot before you begin the installation.

AX8 V7.00

Release Notes:

AX8 V7.00 implements enhancements and bug fixes from the Axe-FX Quantum V7.00.

Additions:
  • Added “LEARN” to the “CUST. SHIFT” in the PITCH block.
  • Improved phase inverter modeling in Amp block. This provides thicker power amp distortion. New algorithm also includes bias shifting which results in more harmonic spectrum variation with input amplitude. This improves feel, “knock” and creates sweeter single note soloing. The new “PI Bias Shift” parameter controls the amount of phase inverter bias shift. Note that some real amps are “spitty” in nature due to PI bias shifting, i.e. Trainwrecks, and the new algorithm is designed to replicate that behavior accurately. If you find the behavior undesirable reduce the PI Bias Shift value as desired although this will reduce authenticity.
  • Improved output transformer modeling. This results in tighter, less boomy and smoother bass when the virtual power amp is driven hard. Note that this change may be significant and initially alarming with certain amp models. While the new algorithms are much more accurate they may be disconcerting to those who are accustomed to the old algorithms. In these cases the user may want to decrease the Transformer Drive and/or Low Res parameters in the amp block at the expense of accuracy. It is recommended instead, however, to readjust other parameters in the preset (i.e. Drive, BMT, etc.) which will achieve more authentic results.
  • Improved Amp block cathode follower modeling (again). This results in tighter bass and “chunkier” tones. As a result nearly all amp models that use cathode followers have been reworked with updated parameters. It is recommended that the model be reloaded by deselecting and reselecting the desired model which will load the pertinent default values. Models that have benefited the most from this include:
    • Bogfish
    • Brit 800
    • CA3+
    • Cameron CCV
    • Corncob
    • Dizzy V4 Blue
    • Dizzy V4 Silver
    • Herbie
    • Recto1 and Recto2
    • Solo 88, 99 and 100
  • Changed default value of Speaker Drive to 0.5. When selecting an amp model the Speaker Drive parameter will now default to a value of 0.5 which is commensurate with a small amount of speaker breakup. Adjust this value to taste, if desired. If using the Axe-Fx II with a power amp and conventional guitar speakers you may want to reduce this value as the guitar speakers will impart their own distortion.
  • Added “Dirty Shirley 2” amp model based on an earlier version of this amp with some different component values. This model is a little more aggressive than the regular model.
  • Changed “Bludojai Clean” amp model so that “Pre-Amp Bypass” is off (Pre-Amp Bypass actually bypasses the tone stack and increases the gain so it should be more correctly referred to as “Tone Stack Bypass”).
  • Added “Brit 800 #34” amp model based on the “Santiago #34” modifications.
  • Changed taper of Overdrive control in “USA Lead” amp models so that control is not so abrupt.
  • Replaced following OwnHammer factory cabs with new IRs (see Note 2):
    • Cab #57 with “4x12 MAR PR-H55 FULL”
    • Cab #142 with “1x12 DLX P12R Fat”
    • Cab #146 with “4x10 SUPER VERB CTS FAT”
    • Cab #148 with “4x12 MAR PR-M20B FULL”
    • Cab #149 with “4x12 TRAD V60 FULL”
  • Added five new cabs comprised of our favorite mixes from several of our latest cab packs:
    • 1x12 Class-A 15W Mix
    • 1x15 Vibrato Verb Mix
    • 2x12 Class-A 30W Mix
    • 4x10 SuperVerb Mix
    • 4x12 Greenback Mix
  • Added “3-Band Console” to the Graphic EQ block.
Fixes:
  • Corrected a potential crash bug in the DRIVE block initialization.
  • Fixed mistake in preamp compression algorithm.
  • Fixed missing feedback network capacitor in all “Recto” models. This results in extended bass response.
  • Fixed mistakes in “Euro” amp models.
  • Fixed mistakes in “Cameron” amp models.
  • Fixed several mistakes in “Shiver” amp models.
  • Fixed mistakes in “Hot Kitty” amp model.
  • Fixed wrong transformer match value in “Citrus Terrier” model.
  • Fixed “Ruby Rocket” and “Ruby Rocket Brt” model names swapped. The amp’s bright switch is logically backwards (bright on is switch down).
  • Fixed input gain slightly too high in “Solo 88 Cln” model.
  • Fixed wrong phase inverter tail resistor and snubber capacitor values in “Brit AFS100” models.
  • Fixed wrong screen resistor value in all “PVH” models.
  • Fixed the dynamic meter display on the Dynamics Page of the AMP block.
  • Fixed bug that prevented the “CRUNCH” parameter from saving correctly with the preset in the Public Beta.
NOTES:

1. This firmware has significant changes to the core algorithms. While every attempt has been made to ensure compatibility with existing presets it is recommended that the amp block be reset by deselecting and reselecting the desired amp model to load the new default values and the preset then auditioned and readjusted as necessary.

2. Fractal Audio Systems is pleased to announce that our online store will be carrying a new series of OwnHammer Cab Packs containing high-quality IRs for use with the Axe-Fx II, AX8, or Cab-Lab. In addition, OwnHammer has provided five new IRs to replace some of the factory cabs they provided previously, including one free sample from the new, "OwnHammer 412 Mar Green Vintage" available now at http://shop.fractalaudio.com. This pack contains some of the best IRs we've ever heard and is simply a "must have" for vintage 4x12 "Brit Green" tones.
Joe, if we have already installed Q7 beta and fixed the cab selection, will installing this version cause me to have to do it again?

I just loaded this and my first preset was dead so I went to another and dead also. I went to another and it had sound but really bad metallic sounding almost like the cab sim was off. I started from scratch and it was ok. Went back to the dead presets and started with each block engaging and switching each one and it was the cab block. I switched to another user cab and back and it was fine. Should I reload?

Also, I never downloaded the beta if that matters.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom