AX8 V6.02 Released

Yes I saw his post about concentrating in the drive block and sorry if Im not understanding correctly but what I understood is that only some drive models were added/updated not all of them so if Im not using any of those drive models my sound would need to be the same as the previous firmware correct? Or are there any "general" parameters on the drive block tha would affect the block itself without taking into account the drive model you are using that I may need to tweak to get the sound I had before, sorry if it is a stupid question but Im in the learning curve.. thanks!

Not quite. You find the changes from FW 6.0 to 6.01 to 6.02 (and the ones before) here:
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=AX8_firmware_release_notes

in 6.02 the parameter speaker drive (spkr drv) has a new algorhythm and was moved to the speaker tab in the amp block. Preamp tube types have been altered in 6.01.

Yes I saw his post about concentrating in the drive block and sorry if Im not understanding correctly but what I understood is that only some drive models were added/updated not all of them so if Im not using any of those drive models my sound would need to be the same as the previous firmware correct? Or are there any "general" parameters on the drive block tha would affect the block itself without taking into account the drive model you are using that I may need to tweak to get the sound I had before, sorry if it is a stupid question but Im in the learning curve.. thanks!
Yes, you are correct. I can only speak to the FAS Boost as that is the one I previously used in my live patches. On my Axe-FX II in my home studio the FAS Boost doesn't exhibit the same behavior but I am sure that is purely a volume response as my gigging patches are much louder.

I just updated from 5.01 to the 6.02 and first thing i had to do was turn my out1 level from 9 oclock to 11 oclock ( to match the outputs).
I am now noticing some extra spikes in the waveform. I'm using the T808mod and vibrolux amp. I didn't see anything in the release notes that would affect these besides gain. did I miss something? Planning on rolling back to 5.01... see pictures of the wave files.501vs602.png

When I roll back from 6.02 to 5.01 is there anything i need to be aware of, or is there a standard procedure for going backwards? I have all the settings backed up from when I had 5.01 installed. I just went to 6.02 and I'm having trouble (my above post) and need to go back to 5.01. thx, Jeff

It's good to know Q7 is currently being worked for the AX8 and I'm like all those cats on the internet: I can has soon???

I just updated from 5.01 to the 6.02 and first thing i had to do was turn my out1 level from 9 oclock to 11 oclock ( to match the outputs).
I am now noticing some extra spikes in the waveform. I'm using the T808mod and vibrolux amp. I didn't see anything in the release notes that would affect these besides gain. did I miss something? Planning on rolling back to 5.01... see pictures of the wave files.View attachment 38457
Guys, any ideas on this issue?

I am now noticing some extra spikes in the waveform. I'm using the T808mod and vibrolux amp. I didn't see anything in the release notes that would affect these besides gain. did I miss something? Planning on rolling back to 5.01... see pictures of the wave files.View attachment 38457

I think that level adjustments should be done at the amp blocks output volume, not output 1 . Output 1 is hopefully located after the d/a converter.

The spikes I don't know. Maybe there is lots of treble in the setting. Does it sound good ?

Definitely shouldn't be adjusting preset levels with the Out 1 knob, but it can serve as a reference if you typically have it set at a specific level. Reminder that it is simply an attenuator (I think it's a digital attenuator before the DAC, because you can read its current setting on the VU page).

As for the spikes and level differences: whenever you update to a major firmware revision, you have to make adjustments to your presets. Typically that involves resetting the amp block. You can read back through the notes of 6.0 and later updates to see everything that was changed - major stuff like the output transformer, block plate clipping, sag, preamp tube calculations. I'd definitely skip the work of doing resets for 6 now that 7 will be out soon.

I think that level adjustments should be done at the amp blocks output volume, not output 1 . Output 1 is hopefully located after the d/a converter.

The spikes I don't know. Maybe there is lots of treble in the setting. Does it sound good ?
Thing is, the spikes don't exist in the 5.01 but they do exist in the 6.02. Listening to the waveforms i don't hear a significant difference(These peaks happen very fast), but I know those peaks will potentially cause trouble on the house mix board (peak lights and possible clipping).

Definitely shouldn't be adjusting preset levels with the Out 1 knob, but it can serve as a reference if you typically have it set at a specific level. Reminder that it is simply an attenuator (I think it's a digital attenuator before the DAC, because you can read its current setting on the VU page).

As for the spikes and level differences: whenever you update to a major firmware revision, you have to make adjustments to your presets. Typically that involves resetting the amp block. You can read back through the notes of 6.0 and later updates to see everything that was changed - major stuff like the output transformer, block plate clipping, sag, preamp tube calculations. I'd definitely skip the work of doing resets for 6 now that 7 will be out soon.
Thanks, I actually tried taking the output 1 back to normal and I adjusted the amp level (as the release notes specify) but...same issue. I'm hoping that 7 won't have the issue as I'm not sure what to adjust for peaking.

Thanks, I actually tried taking the output 1 back to normal and I adjusted the amp level (as the release notes specify) but...same issue. I'm hoping that 7 won't have the issue as I'm not sure what to adjust for peaking.

Did you reset the amp block? Meaning, did you open the preset, go to the amp block, select a different amp model, and then re-select your desired amp model? You have to do that to reset various advanced parameters in the amp block that need to be changed for the updated algorithms. I can't guarantee it will fix the spikes but it's a necessary step after a major firmware update.

It also just occurred to me that we should create a new thread to discuss this issue, as we've hijacked the the 6.02 update thread.

Back
Top Bottom