AX8 V4.00 Release

And history learns us that the option to switch often is removed after a while anyway because 99% of the users use/prefer the latest version.

Sure, but i thought it would become a useful "safeguard" feature if you have a huge set of presets that would take time to re-adjust to new FW changes especially if you are a constant live player, history has also showed this has become a huge deal to many that hold back on FW updates because of this precise thing.

You have 3 hours... you still have time :D
LOL..... Yea, I was thinking the same thing. I have been putting a mic on my cab the last 3 or 4 gigs and last night went direct for the first time. Worked out great but a firmware update seemed a bit much for one night...

Has anyone recorded comparison clips between the previous FW and 4.0? I don't have time to update for several days and I'm missing out on the fun. I'm particularly interested to hear how the low-to-medium gain sounds have changed (generally of the EL84 variety).

Has anyone recorded comparison clips between the previous FW and 4.0? I don't have time to update for several days and I'm missing out on the fun. I'm particularly interested to hear how the low-to-medium gain sounds have changed (generally of the EL84 variety).
Yes. In the AFII Q4.00 release thread.

It's not about how the sound has changed but more the way the power amp behaves and reacts to your way of playing. The top high end is smoother too.

In general, amps feel more natural.

Thanks Fractal. I just loaded up Ax Edit and saw that there was an update for it. My mind started to race and I guickky checked Fractal bot for the heck of it and Bingo! Loaded up flawlessly.

As someone who is still really new to Fractal products, how badly is this gonna set me back on my presets? I've really been digging mine and I'm kind of worried the update will mess with them

As someone who is still really new to Fractal products, how badly is this gonna set me back on my presets? I've really been digging mine and I'm kind of worried the update will mess with them
this is an update, it will move you ahead not back. there is not that much difference IMHO, so if it messes up your presets to much to use you have better ears then I. or you are very picky. I myself am enjoying the update of 4.0 on my AX-8 and XL. the only trouble I am having is with 1 single preset on the AX-8 with a plexi with a scene controller on the amp boost that now will not work unless the scene controller is removed, but I have other presets that have the same controller set up that work fine. so out of over 1400 presets between the 2 machines, only 1 preset is unusable for some reason I have not figured out yet, and aparntly I am the only one having this problem.

this is an update, it will move you ahead not back. there is not that much difference IMHO, so if it messes up your presets to much to use you have better ears then I. or you are very picky. I myself am enjoying the update of 4.0 on my AX-8 and XL. the only trouble I am having is with 1 single preset on the AX-8 with a plexi with a scene controller on the amp boost that now will not work unless the scene controller is removed, but I have other presets that have the same controller set up that work fine. so out of over 1400 presets between the 2 machines, only 1 preset is unusable for some reason I have not figured out yet, and aparntly I am the only one having this problem.
Cool thanks. I'm gonna record the sounds of my favorite presets then update, just so i have a reference point for EQ in case it does change some. I'm not terribly picky, but my presets do sound lovely!

FWIW - I can't hear any differences in my presets from the last update. Played for about an hour going through a bunch and they sound the same to me.

Just loaded the new AX8 firmware and AX8-Edit. Working smoothly, sounding good. It's almost shameful how blasé we become about these awesome updates. Most of my digital gear has not seen in its lifetime the number of updates my FAS gear sees in any year. Thanks to everyone working on the Fractal gear, firmware, back at the office... anywhere that keeps this incredible machine humming.

I finally updated. Still sounds awesome.

I actually use the GR meters in the comp block quite a bit. It would be great, if Ax8edit had a button in the comp block that called up the GR meter page on the unit. Before, I just had to be in the comp block and then press the page button to get to the meters. Now, it's many more button pushes.
But once you are there it won't change (unless you move, delete or add a block).

So yea, the Quantum 4.00 firmware feels/sounds just great & I got a 3% CPU savings without doing anything on my end at all.

I love all of the new features, but the optimization of this already stellar unit has BLOWN ME away!!! :eek::D

GREAT job Fractal!!!!

I just recorded a clip with this preset & I can hear the difference & feel it too. I loved the previous firmware & this is more greater too! :rolleyes:

X

Last edited:
Cool thanks. I'm gonna record the sounds of my favorite presets then update, just so i have a reference point for EQ in case it does change some. I'm not terribly picky, but my presets do sound lovely!
Better still, do a full backup with Fractal-Bot and then update, if u don't like (which I doubt).. just revert!

Please attach the preset, so we can evaluate it. Thanks.

When I Import a preset-cab bundle, I have lost the ability to save the Cab from Scratchpad to a user Slot. AX8(-Edit no longer ask me for a place to save de Cab... it remains in the scratchpad and get lost when I turn off and on again the AX8. This happened with Danny Danzi EVH preset.

When I Import a preset-cab bundle, I have lost the ability to save the Cab from Scratchpad to a user Slot. AX8(-Edit no longer ask me for a place to save de Cab... it remains in the scratchpad and get lost when I turn off and on again the AX8. This happened with Danny Danzi EVH preset.
The same happened with me! I was looking an alternative way to do that...

Back
Top Bottom