AX8 V4.00 Release

WOW!

I honestly wasn't expecting much of a difference, but I noticed the change in feel immediately. MUCH more low end squish/thump/tightness/whatever. It seems to breath a lot better. I could see people needing to tweak their presets depending on what amps and compensations they've made in their presets.

I seems to affect different presets in different ways, but yeah, definitely better.

Sweeeeeeet!

Yeah, some subtle tweaks to make: I started backing off some previously adjusted advanced parameters that now sound a bit overcooked in some amp presets, although with most; its easier and faster to start clean with a new default amp block and dial it in:

My building amp block presets includes advanced parameter adjustments: but once saved: I try to avoid further "under the hood" adjustments. My goal is that subsequent adjustments in crafting the variety of tones an amp is capable of, and between one guitar and the next, can now be accomplished entirely with the eight physical "amp control" knobs on the AX8 - so that in practical use its adjusted like an amp.

Granted, that is how the AX8 is designed to operate, but I sometimes need to remind myself to get the advanced stuff set and then leave it alone. (Studio DAW habits lean toward a clutter of variations; and that can compromise ease of use for performing).

Set up goes very quickly now with a few months experience. In 4.0, so far; making fewer adjustments in advanced parameters to get what I'm after. Sounds great.

Last edited:
The AX8 V4.00 containing the Quantum 4.0 changes is now available for immediate download. Please take a moment to read the release notes. As always, we strongly encourage you to back up your unit before upgrading with Fractal Bot.

The new firmware is available for download here:

AX8 V4.00

In support of V4.00, a new release of AX8-Edit is also available here:

AX8-Edit V1.4.1

Firmware V4.00 Release Notes:

AX8 V4.00 contains Quantum 4.0 and so much more!

Additions
· Quantum 4.0: Improved power tube plate current vs. grid voltage accuracy. New models more accurately reflect how the response is higher order at lower grid voltages and “relaxes” into a lower order response at higher grid voltages. This improves feel when the virtual power amp is overdriven and improves harmonic content accuracy.

· All operation of AX8-Edit is now separate from the operation of the front panel. NOTE: any changes made on the front panel of the AX8 while AX8-Edit is attached will still cause a refresh of the editor. This change dramatically reduces audio dropouts due to editor interaction.

· Removed the Footswitch grid restriction of allowing the same block on multiple footswitches. Now that footswitches have the ability to be latching or momentary, it can advantageous to attach both a latching (for both BYPASS and X/Y Toggle) to a block, while allowing the BYPASS to be assigned to a momentary switch at the same time.

· Removed PICK ATTACK parameter from the AMP Block. (The value was never processed on the AX8)

· Added TILTEQ, LOWSHELF2, HIGHSHELF2, and PEAKEQ2 to the Filter block.

Fixes
· Fixed a bug causing noise issues when attaching controller to some modifiers on the AMP block.

· CS1 and CS2 now correctly load the default state on a preset change.

· The Filter on Voice 2 of the Synth block works correctly now.

· Changing the BYPASS state of a block on the LAYOUT grid correctly lights the edit LED.

· Panning all the way right with Pan parameters other than the Balance no longer mutes the output on the following effect blocks:
o Pitch
o Multi-Tap
o Enhancer
o Delay
Thank you! doesn't seem enough !!!!

Whoaaa! man this thing breathes with the new FW... getting one step closer to the real thing... or is it the real thing already!!???

First "upgrade" I had to do on a Fractal machine and I'm very pleased. It was a breeze : it took less than 5 minutes.

I sure loved my old 11rack but installing the expansion-pack back then turned out to be a nightmare.

I'm afraid my ears are not educated enough to "hear" the difference with Q.4.00 but it sounds so great that I trust Fractal engineers anyway.

The AX8 V4.00 containing the Quantum 4.0 changes is now available for immediate download. Please take a moment to read the release notes. As always, we strongly encourage you to back up your unit before upgrading with Fractal Bot.

The new firmware is available for download here:

AX8 V4.00

In support of V4.00, a new release of AX8-Edit is also available here:

AX8-Edit V1.4.1

Firmware V4.00 Release Notes:

AX8 V4.00 contains Quantum 4.0 and so much more!

Additions
· Quantum 4.0: Improved power tube plate current vs. grid voltage accuracy. New models more accurately reflect how the response is higher order at lower grid voltages and “relaxes” into a lower order response at higher grid voltages. This improves feel when the virtual power amp is overdriven and improves harmonic content accuracy.

· All operation of AX8-Edit is now separate from the operation of the front panel. NOTE: any changes made on the front panel of the AX8 while AX8-Edit is attached will still cause a refresh of the editor. This change dramatically reduces audio dropouts due to editor interaction.

· Removed the Footswitch grid restriction of allowing the same block on multiple footswitches. Now that footswitches have the ability to be latching or momentary, it can advantageous to attach both a latching (for both BYPASS and X/Y Toggle) to a block, while allowing the BYPASS to be assigned to a momentary switch at the same time.

· Removed PICK ATTACK parameter from the AMP Block. (The value was never processed on the AX8)

· Added TILTEQ, LOWSHELF2, HIGHSHELF2, and PEAKEQ2 to the Filter block.

Fixes
· Fixed a bug causing noise issues when attaching controller to some modifiers on the AMP block.

· CS1 and CS2 now correctly load the default state on a preset change.

· The Filter on Voice 2 of the Synth block works correctly now.

· Changing the BYPASS state of a block on the LAYOUT grid correctly lights the edit LED.

· Panning all the way right with Pan parameters other than the Balance no longer mutes the output on the following effect blocks:
o Pitch
o Multi-Tap
o Enhancer
o Delay
Thank you Fractal team

First "upgrade" I had to do on a Fractal machine and I'm very pleased. It was a breeze : it took less than 5 minutes.

I sure loved my old 11rack but installing the expansion-pack back then turned out to be a nightmare.

I'm afraid my ears are not educated enough to "hear" the difference with Q.4.00 but it sounds so great that I trust Fractal engineers anyway.
Its more like feeling than hearing the difference.... the notes just feel alive with this new update...

I'll have to wait until tonight for updating my AX8 but this is awesome news! Thank you so so much FAS!!!! :)

Very nice! I think the whole attack-sustain-decay cycle sounds more tubey. Clean, med, and hi gain. I think the sound of combining the new modelling with drive blocks is more organic too. Lovin' it!

Thanks again Cliff, Joe, and team.

I finally updated. Still sounds awesome.

I actually use the GR meters in the comp block quite a bit. It would be great, if Ax8edit had a button in the comp block that called up the GR meter page on the unit. Before, I just had to be in the comp block and then press the page button to get to the meters. Now, it's many more button pushes.

I only had the chance to play FW 4.0 through my headphones (AKG 712) and even through the headphones the AX8 comes alive!
Absolutely great update and the difference iis VERY noticeable. Not that it didn´t sound great before. But now it sounds quite a bit greater ;-)
Thanks again Fractal, Chris and all you betatesters!

Back
Top Bottom