AX8 V3.52 Release

They talk about every update as if its the greatest thing ever...

We have no idea what other goodies that they might be including in the next AX8 FW update. If the past updates are any indication, it's rarely just the modeling update. Cliff mentioned the possibility of adding global block functionality for the amp block to the AX8. Who knows what else they may be working on based on user input! So, it very well may not be as simple as porting the amp-block/modeling code. There could be a few other things going in as well.
That would be awesome!

They talk about every update as if its the greatest thing ever...

We have no idea what other goodies that they might be including in the next AX8 FW update. If the past updates are any indication, it's rarely just the modeling update. Cliff mentioned the possibility of adding global block functionality for the amp block to the AX8. Who knows what else they may be working on based on user input! So, it very well may not be as simple as porting the amp-block/modeling code. There could be a few other things going in as well.

Yep, very true man, now i'm at ease.

Maybe they found a way to do global blocks on amps and are incorporating the change in this release.

Block banks? What is this..

Global blocks would be huge but from what I understand there are problems with implementing this into the AX8. I've been advocating a simple (I believe) work around which would be global controllers. Basically have the same functionality as an expression pedal but internally so you can tie it to boost levels or what not which would enable you to turn up or down a lead patch across multiple presets at once. The sound guy is always telling me to turn up or down my lead patch. I use a different preset for each song so it's not that awesome to have to edit 20-30 presets while all of sound check is waiting on me.

Last edited:
Block banks? What is this..

Global blocks would be huge but from what I understand there are problems with implementing this into the AX8. I've been advocating a simple (I believe) work around which would be global controllers. Basically have the same functionality as an expression pedal but internally so you can tie it to boost levels or what not which would enable you to turn up or down a lead patch across multiple presets at once. The sound guy is always telling me to turn up or down my lead patch. I use a different preset for each song so it's not that awesome to have to edit 20-30 presets while all of sound check is waiting on me.
I bet. Thats why I only have 4 presets.

Block Banks:

He's just talking about the ability to save a block in AX8-Edit, and then recall the saved block when making or editing another preset.

Duders, it's a different chipset and product. They had to port it first and now have to spend time beta testing it for any bugs or unforeseen issues (and please take all the time needed, polished updates are preferred here).
The thing is i dont wana start getting worried about the upgrading potential of the ax8 due to processor limitation... that would b a nightmare...

i hope they come up with a new and improved ax8 with more power, i would be all over it, and so would everybody, the sales would be out the roof. with the ax8 i keep running out of juice with simple chains so have to think of getting external reverbs etc.

i hope they come up with a new and improved ax8 with more power, i would be all over it, and so would everybody, the sales would be out the roof. with the ax8 i keep running out of juice with simple chains so have to think of getting external reverbs etc.

I asked a ex AX8 user that complaint about this DSP limitations but he didnt care to answer as he is all over the helix no, but i ask you for a Screenshot of the AX8 edit of your signal chain that is simple but makes the DSP run low, i want to understand what is making this happen.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I haven't even had the chance to update my XL to Q4 yet. Need to get to that this weekend. But I gig with my AX8 so I'm fine with FAS taking the time to iron out all the bugs before it's release.

I suspect the reverb block was a CPU hog in your setup. When I changed the echo density and other settings it all works fine. I have plenty of presets with a number of 3-4 FX, EQs, x\y amps and cabs and no CPU issues.

Also, the AX8 was sold out for the first 6-7 months, so I dont think sales have been a problem for Fractal.

Sales are already through the roof...no doubt, although I am sure they will take your marketing advice under consideration :)

There will never be enough power...the more things you can add in a signal chain the more you will. It is like disk space for your computer or memory for your phone, the more you have the more you fill. I don't think it runs out of juice with simple chains...ask some of the experts on the forum how to help.

Want to post a preset? I'd be very much interested in what you've got that's causing CPU to run out.

I built a preset from scratch last night to find where ~85% was while trying to keep it useful. A friend had asked me if a "simple" amp -> cab -> delay -> reverb preset would top out the CPU and I honestly wasn't sure.

I got a VERY flexible preset for a live sound with lots of delay and reverb options. Including a switch-able shimmer/crystals thing in the reverb chain. Here's what I ended up with:

Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 11.04.24 PM.png

The AMP block had an X for clean (an edge-of-breakup AC-20) and Y for dirty (an Orange AC-30). All the other blocks were setup for X/Y and I had a Scene 1/2 switch plus a switch for every effect.

Actually, I was even able to get a wah block on there with auto-engage after I reduced the CAB block to Normal resolution on the IR.

With the X/Y states that's a tone of sonic options in one preset.

I think people mostly fear "normal resolution" in the Cab and Reverb blocks. Normal is a very high standard on FAS gear. For many, it's a mind game; the fact that they aren't using the highest means it must sound bad. It doesn't. Honestly, if FAS removed the higher quality settings, I don't think many could tell and there would be less CPU complaints.

FAS gear gives us many more options than other products, but with great power comes great responsibility. They give us options that purposely use more CPU than it needs to. If we choose those options, then we have chosen to have less CPU available for other things.

I think people mostly fear "normal resolution" in the Cab and Reverb blocks. Normal is a very high standard on FAS gear. For many, it's a mind game; the fact that they aren't using the highest means it must sound bad. It doesn't. Honestly, if FAS removed the higher quality settings, I don't think many could tell and there would be less CPU complaints.

FAS gear gives us many more options than other products, but with great power comes great responsibility. They give us options that purposely use more CPU than it needs to. If we choose those options, then we have chosen to have less CPU available for other things.
+1. Normal is better than most others high quality.

Back
Top Bottom