ax8 USB MIDI and standard MIDI ports at same time?

6stringscott

Inspired
I'm looking at a Strymon Big Sky to offload DSP/CPU from the Ax8, and ideally would like to use scenes to send MIDI PC changes to trigger different presets in the Big Sky.

I also want to use Fracpad via bluetooth to USB MIDI to enable patch tweaking during rehearsals or shows. I might even get fancy enough to use Set List Maker on the iPad to change presets on the Ax8.

One thing I was initially excited about but holding off for now, is using a MIDI Fighter Twister with some custom coding to enable hardware endless rotary switches with lighted rings to have quick-access to deep editing parameters (like reverb decay, delay time, delay mix, chorus depth, etc.). I am back-burnering that pending how Fracpad works out for me. But if I want to revisit that for simplicity and instant tweaking during shows... would I be able to do some small midi-merge box between that midi controller (which relies on SysEx) and the BigSky both going into the standard MIDI ports? Seems like this is a good candidate for a purpose-built Arduino controlled MIDI router and USB power provider to the MIDI Fighter Twister. I'm getting more motivated as I think about it- how much do I hate the touch-screen controls for hot/cold/fan in my car, and wish I had the old physical twist knobs? I can see this being the same thing to really enable ongoing trivial tweaking of the deeper parameters.

Anyone doing something like this? My google-fu wasn't strong enough to find details of simultaneous use of 2 MIDI ports for the BigSky MIDI + fracpad solution, and the Ax8 pdf manual isn't that explicit (unless I messed up in my skimming).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom