AX8 to FM9 : Will old AX8 presets load and work with the FM9?

I just got my FM9 and am wanting to convert AX8 presets to FM9. I tried the FracTool but it did not work for me. Converting all my AX8 presets to FM9 manually would take a long time. Any advice is appreciated.

I just got my FM9 and am wanting to convert AX8 presets to FM9. I tried the FracTool but it did not work for me. Converting all my AX8 presets to FM9 manually would take a long time. Any advice is appreciated.
There is no tool that can accurately translate the parameter settings from one generation to another because too much has changed in the interim: Parameter limits are different, some parameters don't exist, and others were added or were split into multiple parameters.

Probably the best thing to do is to replicate/transfer the layout of the preset from the AX8 to the FM9 using FracTool, then listen to the sound of that preset on the AX8, and begin adjusting the FM9's parameters by ear, ignoring what positions you see the knobs in on the AX8. Like Cliff says, "Use your ears, not your eyes."

You might want to cruise through the factory presets first and see if any catch your ear as being similar to ones on your AX8, and use those as jumping-off places. Many people have commented that they found factory presets they liked even better than their originals when doing that.

There is no tool that can accurately translate the parameter settings from one generation to another because too much has changed in the interim: Parameter limits are different, some parameters don't exist, and others were added or were split into multiple parameters.

Probably the best thing to do is to replicate/transfer the layout of the preset from the AX8 to the FM9 using FracTool, then listen to the sound of that preset on the AX8, and begin adjusting the FM9's parameters by ear, ignoring what positions you see the knobs in on the AX8. Like Cliff says, "Use your ears, not your eyes."

You might want to cruise through the factory presets first and see if any catch your ear as being similar to ones on your AX8, and use those as jumping-off places. Many people have commented that they found factory presets they liked even better than their originals when doing that.
Thanks for the reply. Is there a resource on how to bulk or individual "transfer" the preset layouts from AX8 to FM9 using FracTool? I tried using FracTool to show the blocks for one preset and attempted to replicate the block settings for the present preset, but, as you indicate, parameters are different.

My procedure is to first get the amp/cab blocks right. I pull up the same amp model and cab IR (if it's a factory IR). If there's no matching cab IR I try to find a similar one. Then adjust the amp parms to match the original which is a lot of work in case the advance parms have been touched. Then adjust the amp block by ears. Everything else is comparatively easy. Add the corresponding block, select the type and copy the parms. In most cases that works ok. Modifiers can be a bitch to port as the parameters they control don't necessarily exist on the target device. That's when you have to start experimenting.

Edit: I use a modified 4CM template to keep the AX8 in the FM9 FX loop to allow for quick switching back and forth between the two using a looper block at the input to keep repeating the input pattern while comparing and adjusting parameters.

My procedure is to first get the amp/cab blocks right. I pull up the same amp model and cab IR (if it's a factory IR). If there's no matching cab IR I try to find a similar one. Then adjust the amp parms to match the original which is a lot of work in case the advance parms have been touched. Then adjust the amp block by ears. Everything else is comparatively easy. Add the corresponding block, select the type and copy the parms. In most cases that works ok. Modifiers can be a bitch to port as the parameters they control don't necessarily exist on the target device. That's when you have to start experimenting.
Yep. Use the 'Tool to get into the ballpark then start tweaking.

Edit: I use a modified 4CM template to keep the AX8 in the FM9 FX loop to allow for quick switching back and forth between the two using a looper block at the input to keep repeating the input pattern while comparing and adjusting parameters.
Excellent tip!

Most of mine were mostly ok (from AxeFX IIXL+ to FM9). But I think I converted to AxeIII or something. Dont' remember.
Some Drive blocks (mainly TS) though came in weird and simply didn't work properly even though settings showed ok.
Even to the point of taking out all the distortion from an overdriven amp behind it. so weird. turn the block off and it was ok.
So those I had to delete out and bring in a new block from scratch.

FracTool just converts blocks and parameters values. But a parameter X set to V on ax8 doesn't have the same effect on fm9 , of course... If it did what would be the point of gen3?

FYI, I discovered another Forum thread that recommended converting to axefx3 format using FracTool and them import with FM9edit. This seems to work well. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Back
Top Bottom