AX8 to FM9 transition

hitmusic

Hi all,

I thought i'd post a review of my transition from the AX8 to the FM9 and lessons learned and ideas for footswitch setups. The idea here is to hopefully fast track people and avoid making the mistakes i've made in the transition.

I've moved from Axe FX 2 -> AX8 (Early adopter) now to FM9 (recent UK waitlist recipient) and delved pretty deep into the AX8 advanced stuff to get my current sounds.

Main summary (TLDR): Create all patches from scratch, don't convert patches and don't try to copy all your settings/tweaks into the FM9 blocks. I began thinking that I'd made a purchasing error, then I stumbled on a guy on YouTube and it forced me to follow some basic advice that I should have remembered from my AXE FX 2 -> AX8 transition (Bradley Spaulding - FM9 unboxing & pre-set build). Within 10 minutes, I had refocussed and I now have tones that are better than what my AX8 can produce. I wasted 3 days doing it the other way.

Basically, if you just add an amp and cab block in a new pre-set on the FM9, it will immediately be usable and pretty great, this wasn't the case with previous products - I think that's a key takeaway message.

With that said here's the ramble on what works for me:

Footswitches

I love the AX8 switch set up, I struggled with the FM9 setup for these reasons:

a) I preferred the ON/OFF nature of the lights
b) I use the kick tag labels (Clean, Driven, Crunch, Heavy, Solo)
c) I like the ability to see all the patches in a bank on the main screen
d) I'm used to my bottom row being scenes and top row individual effects
e) As a gigging musician, the tap dance is familiar so I want to re-learn as little as possible
f) I use patch names (Songs) but also have a couple of generic Low, Mid and High gain pre-sets.

Solutions:

1. I set the FM9 to use the OMG9 footswitch layout - an excellent starting point.
2. I set the bank size to 5 (Setup/Onboard switches/Config) so i can use the first 5 switches as patch selection (This kind of covers C - Its not ideal).
3. I set the Ring Intensity MIN to the DIM 1% which covers A above. (Setup/Onboard switches/Config)
4. I found that setting the displays to invert (dark with light text) feels more familiar and stops my eyes searching (Setup/Onboard switches/Config).
5. Mini Display Contrast = 38% and Brightness = 77% currently works for me.
6. On the scenes, I've set the hold functions to bring in effects (covers D - effects on rows above). So for my CLEAN scene, holding adds CHORUS, for my DRIVEN scene, holding adds the DRIVE block etc.
7. I changed the Layout Links so that when I select a patch, it defaults to the Scene's layout - one less button to press and mimics the AX8 behaviour.
8. The Top right button has the TUNER set as the hold function (just like the AX8). - The top right and bottom right buttons are set to bank up/down for pre-sets.
9. The bottom 6 buttons for each patch for scenes are CLEAN (S1), DRIVEN (S2), CRUNCH (S3), HEAVY (S4), More..., SOLO (S8)
10. I set the hold features for ON/OFF as follows CHORUS, DRIVE 1, AMP Boost (Control Switch 1), DELAY 1, More..., SOLO ALT (Scene 7)
11. The AMP Boost is a control switch (Check out the CS per scene ON/OFF/LAST settings for the CS switches - very useful)
12. I'm using the Mini-Display custom label to get the CS1 switch to say AMP Boost instead of CS1 - again very useful.

Patches

Create from scratch (See the summary above) - don't do this...

1. Connected both AX8 and FM9 to my PC and used an A/B/Y both to switch my guitar input between them.
2. Converted my AX8 patch to AXE FX 3 then imported to FM9 (The blocks may work but do seem to start form a "screwed up" place so just don't do this).
3. Reset each block and started copying parameters back in manually. I got odd results because the patch was still 'converted' - so again, don't do this.
4. I created a new patch, manually added blocks and immediately went through every parameter matching them up - This got me reasonably close but the AX8 still sounded better (mainly clarity & string separation)- This is obvious, my patches are familiar and all tweaks over the many years work with that particular firmware.
5. I then tweaked the FM9 to 'try' to get closer but was never able to achieve it. This tricked my brain into thinking it was inferior.
6. I went to rehearsal, and it sounded great but not as good as the AX8. Again, my brain is using confirmation bias so i'm thinking its not good enough.
7. At that point, i reset myself and expectations and watched a few more 'unboxing' videos and got where i am today.

General Issues/observations:

1. The mini-displays aren't big enough to show full patch names so you've got to be careful so you know what the patch is. I wish you could see all the patches in a bank on the main display (as per the AX8) but it doesn't seem that's possible right now.
2. I can turn the colour of a switch to OFF/No Colour but it would be nice if the DIM could be 0% instead
3. I had some very strange loud digital noises when changing patches - This is because I set the global spill over to ON (As per my AX8). This is unnecessary because you can generally do everything in a single pre-set. Turning it off again solved that problem.
4. With the AX8 I made use of scene controllers for input drive for amps etc. Basically I just moved this over to Channels (4 amps) and Drive block (4 drives) or more if you use 2 amps etc. I got much better results because with Scene controllers you're just upping the input drive and not compensating other aspects. With this channel approach, you can adjust the input drive and take down a little bottom end or mids or whatever you need.
5. I'd like to look at the set/song list feature because we do a virtual jukebox of over 100 songs and I could draw on the best patches/scenes and put them in Alphabetical order. The issue I have, is that the mini display approach feels like i'd be wasting time to get from Song A to Z (having in mind we don't have a set list to work from so don't know what's been requested next) . I currently use around 10 'song specific' patches and the rest just draw on my LOW, MID and HIGH gain pre-sets. I guess for now I'll stick with that approach.

Right - I think that's enough information for now. I hope it helps on the AX8 -> FM9 transition journey.

Andy.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your impressions. I tried to port one of my AX8 patches to the FM9. Took me about a day to obtain almost the same sound. Neither amps nor factory IRs (even when having the same name on both units) sound alike. I eventually swapped the IRs out for non-legacy IRs, took me a while to audition 100s of them. Effects are pretty similar and easier to port as far as I can tell. Bottom line is the same you made : setup your amp sound from scratch and get used to the result.

Yeah, just having the amp and cab block engaged and spending 10 minutes or so auditioning different cabs is the way to go for me in terms of saving time and getting the best result.

What I still don't quite understand is why even IRs sound different (assuming IRs with the same name are identical on both units). But then again the cab blocks parameter set is not the same, especially the proximity settings.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has struggled with the transition from AX8 to FM9...I was going for my favorite AX8 performance preset and could just not get there with the FM9 to the point where I was questioning whether the FM9 was really better sounding taking into account the obviously far superior processing options of the FM9 (tricked my brain as well...Lol).
At the end of the day you have to tune up your ears and pay your dues with taking the time to re-audition and re-evaluate IR's and even amp blocks; the Friedman amp I was using on the AX8 does not sound the same to me on the FM9-everything seemed darker and not as open as the AX8. Fortunately I have started to slowly make the transition and better understand the FM9's architecture.
Love the discussion...Thanks for posting.

What I still don't quite understand is why even IRs sound different (assuming IRs with the same name are identical on both units). But then again the cab blocks parameter set is not the same, especially the proximity settings.
Late reply on this, and I didn't come from AX8, but rather the Axe Fx II -> Axe Fx III and also FM9.

The Legacy IRs are (as far as I understand) identical to the ones on the Axe Fx II and AX8.

The Cab block is different but not sure that's true as far as the end result of the IR's sound.

However, the Amp block has changed a lot and some of that is "interaction" with the speaker. In particular, there is the SIC (Speaker Impedance Curve) that will definitely impact things. There are many parameters that are new or changed in the Amp block. Speaker Drive, Speaker Compression, Breakup, Thump, etc...

If you did something like sending fixed test tones from the Synth block to the Cab block on both units you could better compare what the Cab block and IR "sound" like... But that doesn't really help your situation since ultimately you're going to use them with the Amp block. :(

Hi all,

I thought I'd post an update of my AX8 to FM9 transition journey...

All in all, it's been frustrating so far. I haven't gigged the unit as yet for reasons that will become clear below.

The unit is excellent and will suit loads of users, so this isn't an anti FM9 rant, it's a great unit these are just my honest observations.

A couple of things to get out of the way:

1. I gig 2-3 times a week (mainly pubs/bars etc). 3-piece guitar, drums, bass.
2. I run live sound (DB Ingenia + subs); we are all IEM for monitors.
3. We run a live jukebox show (100+ songs) - the audience chooses via their phones, so we only know 10 minutes in advance what we're playing that night.
4. I sing and play guitar and need my 'rig' to be flexible to cover Elvis to Iron Maiden and everything in between.
5. With the AX8 i have LOW, MID and HIGH gain pre-sets with CLEAN, DRIVEN, CRUNCH & HEAVY scenes on each.
6. Varying degrees of gain available on those but as part of this transition i noted that I was only really using 5 'levels' of gain across those pre-sets, so I've also consolidated to a single pre-set on the FM9 for testing.
7. In addition, I have around 10-15 pre-sets for specific songs where it's better to do that (She sells sanctuary/Streets have no name etc.).
8. I currently use an iPad with all songs listed in alphabetical order showing which pre-set to use for each.
9. Important - I have successfully matched my AX8 pre-sets over to the FM9 to a level where I'm happy so it's no longer an AX8 vs FM9 'sound' transition, it's now a usability transition.
10. Generally from what I've seen, most people don't seem to have the same performance requirements as me in terms of multiple changes per song whilst doing other things (singing etc.). It's frantic but people love the show because its authentic and extra effort is being put in.

My AX8 layout:

1666270270814.png

So here's where I keep getting stuck...

I am struggling with foot movements and patch changes more than anything else.

When changing pre-sets on the AX8 it shows a long list of pre-sets in the main screen. I can visually scan them, press the right button (or bank up/down) and I'm good to go. Once in the pre-set, I can see the scenes and effects in the main screen. At worst this is 3 button presses.

I should mention I use the kick tags for each button as well as the main display (mini display on FM9 does the same for me now).

FM9 experience...

I started with a layout with dual function buttons (so for example I press and hold a button to engage a drive block), I tried this in rehearsal, and it just doesn't work for me because whilst trying to play and sing and foot-tap I either didn't press long enough (so changed the scene) or I wanted the scene and just ended up engaging the drive.

I tried increasing and lowering the hold time, but my brain simply has too many things to do within each song to do that in the heat of battle.

In rehearsal, i had issues with a number of buttons changing the views - mid song I'd have no displays until i clicked on scenes again and got back to where i needed to be. This must be a multi-function button again where I've left a 'hold' on somewhere for a different view. Scary stuff and i can't have this happen so I need to reset all and start again.

My main conclusion
- It seems a single button press is my best option (same as the AX8) for the way i need to work in order that i can start gigging with this unit. I am also now looking into scene toggle instead (see later on).

I tried a few different layouts and options and came to this as a compromise. This considers that I continue to use the LOW, MID, HIGH gain approach:

1666269727978.png

What I miss here is the ability to instantly add a CHORUS or DRIVE unless I go into the EFFECTS layout which is difficult when I'm clicking between scenes and singing etc. - I have used an extra button (ROCK) which I could repurpose for drive ON/OFF. My compromise was to use press/hold for DRIVEN/DRIVE and CLEAN/CHORUS, but I had the foot tapping issue as previously described.

Solution (possibly): I'm actually now playing with an alternative layout which gives me an "ALL IN" consolidated single pre-set (meaning less to think about in terms of moving from song to song), where I do have to re-learn some foot movements a tiny bit and use scene toggle for Solo's. It looks like this:

1666270701746.png

This might work given enough time because each time I do a solo, I'm not singing and to get out of the solo is a single tap on the same button again. If I mess it up, another 'desperate' single tap hopefully gets me back to where I need to be again.

I will have to relearn my foot movements, but I believe I can work on this.

Finally....Sets/Songs

I was excited with this feature but it's not working out for me.

1. I inputted all 100+ songs and made my selections for pre-sets.
2. I understand the 10 Char song title limit for the mini display but wish it could at least capture the whole song name in the editor.
3. I've been really lucky that I haven't so far had two songs that both start with "I want it" (for example) and 10 chars gives just enough to go on.
4. I created 4 sets (A-D, E-K, L-R, S-Z) each has room to spare after adding the songs in alphabetical order.
5. I worked on the FC layouts and simply can't find a usable way to be able to select songs quickly because I can't see a list of the songs either on the main screen (AX8 style) or the bottom mini displays (e.g. similar to pre-sets in a bank).
6. For me to get to a song halfway through a set list, can mean 15 button pushes.
7. I do get there are options to go to song +/- 5 etc. for example but it's so non intuitive that I just can't use it in the heat of battle.
8. I fully understand that the feature would work great for a 'normal' set list where you just go up/down to the next song. Its a good feature, but just doesn't seem to work for my use case which is such shame for me.
9. Genuinely if I've missed something, please do correct me as I'd love to use this feature.

Summary

I really like the unit, but a lot of the features I thought I'd make use of, simply don't work for my use case.

I want to make this work because with our live jukebox, this unit can create sounds that the AX8 just can't and that will make our show better and set us apart from the other bands.

So....I battle on and at some point, I guess if I'm honest with myself, I have an important decision to make. After all, the AX8 platform isn't exactly a step back into the dark ages now is it :)

Hope this helps on your journey.

Attachments

• 1666269681082.png
    1666269681082.png
    8 KB · Views: 4
  • 1666270652493.png
    1666270652493.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 4
The easiest solution to quickly accessing your effects would be to add a Layout Link to each of the Preset switches that is assigned to your 'Effects' layout. Then, when selecting a preset, the FM9 would automatically go to your 'Effects' layout. In the 'Effects' layout, assign one of the switches (top right for consistency) to take you back to your 'Presets' layout. This leaves you 8 switches for different effects or functions (16 total if you use the Hold feature).

Layout Links are an incredible feature and a great timesaver. I have an external 2 button switch with the FC-6. Switch 1-(Tap) is linked to the Presets layout, (Hold) toggles View: Switch 2-(Tap) is linked to the Scenes layout, Hold is linked to the Effects layout.

My FC-6 Effects layout (Layout 3- View 1) configuration: 3 switches for effects (Hold changes channels), 1 switch for Scene toggle 1/2, 1 switch for Boost, and the last switch is assigned to my 2nd Effects layout (Layout 4). My second Effects layout has 4 effect switches, 1 switch assigned to Scene 3 and the last switch assigned to go back to the main Effects layout (Layout 3).

One last thought, having a switch assigned to the 'Presets' layout within the Presets layout is redundant. I don't use the Set List feature, I have all of our songs in the first 4 banks and have 2 switches Hold feature in the Preset layout assigned to either Bank up and Bank down. You could also assign this 'Presets' switch to Bank up/down (Tap/Hold) to go through your preset banks. Set the bank size to the number of switches you're using for preset selection.

You might consider connecting your iPad to your FM9 and using something like BandHelper to select presets... Since you're already keeping a list, you can still do that but use it to send the preset changes, show lyrics, etc

Solution (possibly): I'm actually now playing with an alternative layout which gives me an "ALL IN" consolidated single pre-set (meaning less to think about in terms of moving from song to song), where I do have to re-learn some foot movements a tiny bit and use scene toggle for Solo's. It looks like this:

View attachment 110090

This might work given enough time because each time I do a solo, I'm not singing and to get out of the solo is a single tap on the same button again. If I mess it up, another 'desperate' single tap hopefully gets me back to where I need to be again.

I will have to relearn my foot movements, but I believe I can work on this.
Hold switches became a thing a while ago to reduce switches and make gear smaller, as well as give functionality to "smart" switch systems that have Tap and Hold functions for more utility from a single switch.

to get use to it, in my mind, when i have to Tap i think "smack the switch." a fast action where i tap quickly and get off quickly, almost like a slap you'd do with your hand, but with your foot instead. i sort of "hover" my leg briefly and then from the ankle down smack the switch to get off of it quickly. a bit exaggerated but that's sorta whats happening.

then for Hold my mind thinks longer smoother action. because these actions feel so different in my mind - smack vs smooth - i pretty much never misfire a tap instead of hold or hold instead of tap. yes it takes a bit to get used to, but 5 - 10 minutes of practicing those actions and associations in my mind set me up for the rest of my button smacking career.

question: scenes 6 - 8 are those actually different lead tones, or are they the same tone just on several switches to stay in line with "rock" sound, "crunch" sound, etc.?

if it's the former, what are you doing to make them lead versions?

if it's the latter, i might dedicate one switch to the lead tone for muscle memory. it may make sense for the button to press after the lead, but it could be more confusing for getting to the lead tone. there is also a "2nd Press previous Scene" option which can let you just press the same single Lead switch to go back. again, if the lead tone is actually the same for all those scenes.

i also press switches while doing a bunch of other things, so i understand where you're coming from. i'd say try to simplify the switch setup as much as possible (which you are doing!). muscle memory is way faster and easier vs looking down, reading, thinking about what you just read, then pressing the switch, and repeating for every other switch press during the gig.

Finally....Sets/Songs

I was excited with this feature but it's not working out for me.

1. I inputted all 100+ songs and made my selections for pre-sets.
2. I understand the 10 Char song title limit for the mini display but wish it could at least capture the whole song name in the editor.
3. I've been really lucky that I haven't so far had two songs that both start with "I want it" (for example) and 10 chars gives just enough to go on.
4. I created 4 sets (A-D, E-K, L-R, S-Z) each has room to spare after adding the songs in alphabetical order.
5. I worked on the FC layouts and simply can't find a usable way to be able to select songs quickly because I can't see a list of the songs either on the main screen (AX8 style) or the bottom mini displays (e.g. similar to pre-sets in a bank).
6. For me to get to a song halfway through a set list, can mean 15 button pushes.
7. I do get there are options to go to song +/- 5 etc. for example but it's so non intuitive that I just can't use it in the heat of battle.
8. I fully understand that the feature would work great for a 'normal' set list where you just go up/down to the next song. Its a good feature, but just doesn't seem to work for my use case which is such shame for me.
9. Genuinely if I've missed something, please do correct me as I'd love to use this feature.
The Setlist feature works best for going up and down in set list order. A set list is exactly that - a set order of songs. So that's how this Setlist function works best. There are easy ways to rearrange the order of Songs from the front panel before the gig starts, but in my opinion it's not intended to have a selection of songs to choose in random order with the footswitches. Yes you can display 9 songs at a time, but it doesn't "bank" songs so that approach doesn't work. Setlist is best used for songs in order at this time.

--
i think the FM9 is much better suited for what you're doing vs the AX8. just consider you're both learning a new device and un-learning the previous AX8 habits/switches.

I tried increasing and lowering the hold time, but my brain simply has too many things to do within each song to do that in the heat of battle.
You can also globally set the Hold function to trigger on release of the switch. Timing can be a lot better that way.

Hi all,

I really appreciate the time and thought you've put in to help me get a solution that works for me.

I will take all your comments and suggestions and try them out as there are certainly features that I've not considered or was not fully aware of.
As you'll see below, ideas come to me whilst typing (triggered by your suggestions) so I ramble a bit, but at least you see my raw process.

In terms of things to try I think it summaries as follows:

1. Layout links - sound like it could save me a physical button.

2. Views - was never quite sure what these did so i will investigate further.

3. I will look into redundant permanent buttons (pre-sets/scenes). I initially saw having these always available as 'get out of trouble' buttons but from all comments, it seems there are alternatives.

4. Sets/setlists - I accept my use case doesn't fit the intention here. I may revisit this another time as it's not the most important thing.

5. I'll look into connecting the iPad to the FM9 to control patch changes. I think using a single master consolidated patch might make this redundant, but I'll check the software to see what's possible anyway.

6. I'll look into the hold function "trigger on switch release" - that might make timing better.

7. The 're-learn/muscle memory' comments are taken on board. It's human nature to not want to relearn something that currently works and it's hard to break 'learned' behaviour, however I'm up for the challenge. If I can reduce the overall complexity in other areas, it will make it easier.

8. In my ALL IN patch scenes 6-8 are lead tones that add delay/plex delay and a bigger reverb for each style of tone (Rock lead, Crunch lead, Heavy lead). They are copies of scenes 3-5 but with those effects added. I used to have LOW,MID,HIGH gain pre-sets so that the lead tones were appropriate for each. I need flexibility to go from a bluesy lead to a full-on metal lead (not in the same song).

9. Interestingly, Using the BOOST (CS1) works really well if I really gain it up (e.g. +18-24db) and its possible that with a little cleverness, I could assign CS1 to boost the amp, turn on a delay, add a different reverb, engage a volume block etc. all in one go. That could be different features for S3-5 as well which could free up the 3 toggle buttons for other functions. It would give me a single 'Solo' button again but with a tone that's appropriate for the scene I'm currently on (but without using another scene). Quite excited about that possibility!

Once again, thank you and I'll return with a progress update.

Andy.

My transition from the ultra has been FAIRLY painless. Though there is one patch with a fancy hold delay trick thing where I switch amps while playing over a huge sustained decay from the previous amp that I STILL can't get dialed in right to save my life!

AX8 to FM9 user here too. Nothing constructive to add to the conversation but:
cover Elvis to Iron Maiden and everything in between
That sounds like a great variety. Ever have requests to play Elvis and Iron Maiden on the same night? Which particular songs? ;)

AX8 to FM9 user here too. Nothing constructive to add to the conversation but:

That sounds like a great variety. Ever have requests to play Elvis and Iron Maiden on the same night? Which particular songs? ;)
Yep, we have gigs where we start with Suspicious Minds, Gimmie Shelter & Cocaine then we're suddenly doing Paranoid, Plug in baby & Run to the Hills - People love it, they feel really engaged and its genuinely like a jukebox.

It's really hard work for us to keep our chops up though, as we don't know what's coming next but hopefully sets us apart from the rest.

PROGRESS UPDATE:

So, after all the excellent comments and advice I have settled on this setup.

1667476602509.png

It is actually pretty basic but consolidates three primary AX8 pre-sets into one. Here's what it's doing for me:

1. This is my ALL IN PRESET - general purpose, covers all types of music. If I had to live here, I could do a whole gig with great results.
2. S1 -S5 are now single stomp switches - no holds etc. - I can stomp on one and know without thinking where I'm going.
3. It uses 2 amp blocks and a single cab block - Idea is that usually I only need clean, "an appropriate gain patch" and Solo on any given song.
4. I'm still playing with the amp switching/un-muting options to see if I can get gaps down between commonly used scenes etc. but it's not something that is bad, so I won't lose sleep about it. Mostly - I keep the clean amp the same for S2-S5 then use mute/unmute amp block and a channel switch on the CAB block.
5. The BOOST CS1 adds the amp boost and any other option that I feel is needed (e.g. unmute a delay bock, Vol block engage for boost) for that scene. This works really well and doesn't require any amp block changes so is really smooth.
6. I took the advice around 'redundant buttons' and now don't have a dedicates one for pre-sets and scenes. I can access that with the Master layout function.
7. This then allows me to have a dedicated button for Chorus and Drive - two of the one's used most on the AX8.
8. Finally, I added a Pitch 1 as the Chorus hold option and Drive 2 as the Drive 1 hold option. This gives me access to other flavours if needed.
9. The DLY/CS2 option basically gives me a Delay option (usually the Aurora) and other CS2 controlled options.
10. Pre-set is currently running at 80.5% and so far doesn't have any 'overload' issues. I definitely don't want dropouts so i may look to optimise that a little further.

Summary

I still have a number of song specific patches, but this overall seems to be working so far and sounds great.

I did have one unexpected issue where the screens would go blank meaning, I couldn't select anything - Mid song this is a showstopper.

I discovered this was to do with switching layouts and to solve this, I had to go through each pre-set and ensure I didn't have any LAYOUT LINKS turned on especially for per pre-set overrides. Once I'd done that, everything seems to be working consistently.

I'm going to be using this live for the first time in a couple of weeks so I will report back on how that went and hopefully bring this journey saga to an end.

Again, thanks for all contributions and suggestions - everything has helped get to a solution that works for me.

Andy.

Is it smart to gig with both an ax8 and an fm9? I mean after gigging for a while you'll get use to the scene switches on autopilot and if they're in a different layout or order on the fm9 that could cause you to forget at crucial times during your performance and muck up.

Furthermore, why convert from ax8 to fm9? Fm9 has new technology. I bought custom u2 presets for the ax8 for about 60 songs. I would never convert them for the fm9. I'd either buy another ax8 as backup and restore them on that unit, or buy brand new custom presets for the same 60 songs again for the fm9. The reason is converting can cause all kinds of small problems you may never figure out on your own and you're not taking advantage of the fm9's new cygnus technology sound quality which is the whole purpose you bought the fm9 in the first place!

Back
Top Bottom