AX8 to a Headrush FRFR 1x12

I have two Headrush 112's running stereo; if I run them past 6 o-clock saw dust starts falling from the wood ceiling joists in my basement rehearsal space.....one would be PLENTY loud to start and sound just as good as anything out there for the money.

I'm interested in getting a pair of these. Would like to hear these speakers demoed with a variety of playing styles/tones.

I may be biased, but I'm using the AX8 with two QSC CP8's (1000W 8" 2-way powered loudspeaker with more than enough LF extension to handle guitar frequency reproduction), and the sound is massive. But take my opinion with a grain of salt. ;)

I picked up the Headrush 108 online recently as a blemished model for $170. Such a great value! If I am gigging I will still use my CLR, but the portability of the Headrush makes it a winner for weekly rehearsals. Plenty of volume. The bass is a little hyped as mentioned but I’m loving the added thump.

Update on the Headrush 108. I’ve now spent some additional time with it A/B-ing it with the CLR. Not surprisingly the CLR sounds better in terms of clarity and sounding like a real amp. The Headrush is certainly workable but side-by-side is “fizzier” and sounds more digital.

Any help in how to better EQ the Headrush would be great. I’ve played around with a GEQ cutting the highs and couldn’t quite get it to where I wanted.

Bottom line, still a good option and my back appreciates the portability.

Update on the Headrush 108. I’ve now spent some additional time with it A/B-ing it with the CLR. Not surprisingly the CLR sounds better in terms of clarity and sounding like a real amp. The Headrush is certainly workable but side-by-side is “fizzier” and sounds more digital.

Any help in how to better EQ the Headrush would be great. I’ve played around with a GEQ cutting the highs and couldn’t quite get it to where I wanted.

hard to tell. we'd have to hear it to figure out what "more digital" sounds like to suggest frequencies.

Does is still sound fuzzy when playing with the rest of your band in a mix? The fizz might get lost in the mix

I’ve also recorded a clip on my phone playing through each speaker. Can’t figure out how to upload an iPhone video to the forum or SoundCloud though. In the room I can tell the difference but on the recorded clip it’s not very noticeable and it’s likely even less noticeable in a full band mix.

So I am using an old Ultra split in stereo to a Headrush 112 and an FBT. The Headrush sounds slightly less organic than the FBT Ventis (which is a $1500 powered FRFR monitor) but damned good for the price and in a live situation, the difference is sorta lost in the mix. The Headrush is very low end heavy, but for the music you play, like what I do, that thud is probably more of an asset. Plus, it has a nice clean and bright high end when you need it. I would just say get two...because they're cheap as hell and why not?

I have had a pair of 112's and struggle with a resonance issues I get srong booming sound at ~ 118Hz Close to double the line rate in the USA of 60Hz. I have the same issue with the cabs on the floor or 6' up on a post stand. Asside from the output EQ, any suggestions on taming the thump?

I play nu-metal type of music. Big open sounds. Played on 6505, 5150 and dual Rec all with 4x12 Mesa cab. Although headrush is descent. I can’t use it in practice. It doesn’t cut good enough. And it’s too muddy with lows in a bad way. I might not tweaked my ax8 good enough. But I prefer using my amp for practice and brining just ax8 for the gigs

I have had a pair of 112's and struggle with a resonance issues I get srong booming sound at ~ 118Hz Close to double the line rate in the USA of 60Hz. I have the same issue with the cabs on the floor or 6' up on a post stand. Asside from the output EQ, any suggestions on taming the thump?

Are you using the low cut in the cab block? If so where is it set at?

I have a pair of 108's with my FM3 and they sound great. Super loud too...

I have a bit of a Low Cut on the Out EQ.

I use my 108 for rehearsal only, a Friedman ASC-10 for gigs. Personally, the Friedman looks and sounds like a bad ass old school tube amp and sound is incredible so I'd not want to use anything but that at a gig. However, next gig, I'm running my AX8 to FOH and will use my Headrush as a monitor.
Sorry couldn't help answer much. Also has alot to do with how hard your drummer hits and the venue.

I’ve used the 108 at rehearsals many times with a LOUD drummer. There’s plenty of volume on tap. Full disclosure, I’ve since sold it as I didn’t love the sound.

Back
Top Bottom