AX8 to a Headrush FRFR 1x12

Joelodious

Hey everyone, first post here!

I am selling off my 6505+ and cab to get a ax8 and a headrush FRFR cab. Anyone have any expereince with this type of set up? I am mainly playing progressive metal, and I just wonder 1) if it will be a loud enough rig at practice and 2) am I making a mistake getting rid of the tube amp for the amp modeler. What frequencies will I be losing going from a normal Marshall Cabinet to a FRFR?

I have been in a few international touring acts and a lot of bands we toured with were all bout their fractals. I dunno I got a little bit of cold feet. But I am ready!

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Last week I was trying out my AXE8 with both an Atomic FR and the Headrush. I was switching between each using a Radial ABY switchbox. In pure FR mode, i preferred the Atomic, but both were very close. I also tried the Headrush’s speaker sims and that sounded pretty good too. Personally, I tend not to flip equipment until I try out the new thing (prevents Buyer Remorse, Post Purchase Cognitive Dissonance). If you can, get the AXE8 because it is an awesome piece of kit. Take it to a guitar center and try it out with a Headrush. Listen before you leap.

Thanks! I appreciate the comparison between Atomic and the Headrush FRFR. I have a Headrush on order to go with my AX8 as I have been using JBL EON 610s for quite some time now. Would like to keep them as part of my PA rig and have a dedicated FRFR strictly for my guitar. The hope was that the single Headrush FRFR could replace the 2 JBLs and possibly sound better with a bit more punch from the 12 inch speaker.

Thanks! I appreciate the comparison between Atomic and the Headrush FRFR. I have a Headrush on order to go with my AX8 as I have been using JBL EON 610s for quite some time now. Would like to keep them as part of my PA rig and have a dedicated FRFR strictly for my guitar. The hope was that the single Headrush FRFR could replace the 2 JBLs and possibly sound better with a bit more punch from the 12 inch speaker.

I have 2 headrush 112 with my AX8. At low volume there good. At high volumes gigging I haven’t had any complaints. For the price point I’m pleasantly surprised.

Headrush is extremely loud. I had to put the volume level at the back less than 10% while I practise at home (not with a band though)

i bought the baby 108 Headrush to take to rehearsals and it sounds great. Bought it due to fact it only weighs 18 lbs. :) I have a Friedman that I love. It's an FR, it looks cool like cabs I've played for 20 years and sounds awesome. can be dark but have tweaked presets to brighten up and it's killer when full tilt. Love Friedman for gigs and home use but also love the little Headrush for rehearsal as I said. My back is thanking me for it.

Agreed. I've had my FRFR-12 for nearly a year now and enjoying it. When in my rehearsal studio, I use mostly in conjunction with my Alto TS308 (which is nearly identical to the Headrush FRFR-8) for my stereo effect. For months now, anyone coming over to hear us are amazed at the sound. Great investment for the price.

I use my Friedman FR 10 for gigs. Love it but too heavy to lug to rehearsals. Headrush 8 at 18 lbs is why i bought it. SO easy to grab and go and keeps up with the band fine. Friedman sounds better live and loud, to me, but love Headrush to rehearse.
Rock on and happy Sunday. thx

Ive been using my AX8 + two Headrush 112s since about Jan!
few gigs and multiple band practices. They sound absolutely phenomenal. I thought I would miss my 4x12, yet I prefer the sound of these!

Best investments ever (Ax8 included)

I have the 12" and love it. I went to GC yesterday and looked around to find the 8" so I could test drive, but they did not have any. I have heard very good things though. My understanding is slightly less body, as you would expect, but great bang for the buck and super portable.

Try to get two 112s. One really doesn’t do it for me. Two of them in stereo is awesome!! They are loud and can sound very good. I’ve never put mine past 6 with my AX8 at about volume 4 and they were loud!!

Hi all, I own 2 matrix active speakers and they are simply awesome. Downside is that they are square and you have to figure out a way to tilt them if you want to use them as floor monitors. I recently bought a headrush active speaker because, ...well, there was this store... anyway. It sounds great too, but different. Best way to say it is that it sounds a bit more like the amp in the room. It has that acoustic thing to the sound that my marshall 1960a had too. (But my mesa 2x12 a bit less) I think the matrix colors the sound less and is better allround. Also, the headrush has more, a lot more low end. That is partly due to the connection to the ground (I think) but mainly a speaker thing. My matrix on the floor also has a bit more low end compared to being on a stand, but not a lot. And definetly way less than the matrix. Other speakers I do not have, so I cannot judge them.

Harm

Not sure if the Alto TS308 & TS312 sound identical to the Headrush 8"/12" but the TS308 is impressive but not quite up to the Headrush 112.

But the small Alto with my 112 together in the rehearsal studio is a lot of fun even if it is overkill.

Back
Top Bottom