AX8 through a DXR10, getting hum using 1/4 inch outs

Yes, the AX8 has TRS outputs but they're not symmetric but humbuster type ( check out the manual ). Use them with TS-TS or special humbuster cables but not TRS-TRS cables.

I had the same experience as what you've described except my XiTone & AX8 were indeed on the same circuit. This was also the same case when we tested everything at the shop. I still have absolutely no idea why I was getting such a loud ground loop hum. The explanation I was given didn't exactly make sense for me either. All I can say is when I tried their recommended remedy by putting a DI box, or the Radial IC-1 between my AX8 and the XiTone everything worked as one would expect. Great sounds and NO hum. Best wishes getting things sorted.

Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it. I learned something from all this. Here’s what I actually did, and I really don’t fully understand why this happens:

I had the DXR10 plugged into an outlet, the DXR has a three prong plug. I plugged in a Pod HD500 into a DIFFERENT outlet, the pod does not have a three prong plug. I connected them together with TS cables. There was no hum.

When I swapped in the AX8, it was setup exactly like the pod, but the AX8 has a three prong plug. It hummed.

So, I believe I created a ground loop, because the outlets are on different circuits.....or maybe I have no idea what I am talking about.

It's good to keep all equipment in the same outlet to start with. XRLs should not hum, if so either cable issue or in a rare case HW problem in the device.

Back
Top Bottom