AX8 Synth Pitch Tracking Tip

CodePoet

Fractal Fanatic
Summary:
Get your CPU usage as low as possible. While your preset will operate at higher CPU levels, the synth tracking improves as your CPU usage drops - keeping CPU under 75% seemed to give good results and going lower continued to help.

Details:
I was converting one of Simeon's synth patches from the Axe-Fx II over to the AX8. When I got it up on the AX8, it sounded the same but the pitch tracking just wasn't there (Track was set for Pitch+Env) - it was very glitchy with the same settings. My CPU usage was up there, but wasn't at 90% - I believe it was around 84-86% or so. In editing it, I happened to drop the reverb block temporarily, which opened up a bunch of CPU - down to the low 70% range. At that point, the pitch tracking was hugely improved - similar to the Axe-Fx II performance.

This shows us that better tracking is in there, but it seems to be more affected by rising CPU percentages than the Axe-Fx II. So if you're having tracking issues, work to pare your preset back as much as possible and your tracking will improve.

Other general synth tracking tips are to hicut/lowcut the signal going into the synth block to keep out extraneous handling noise and overtones. Increasing the synth Attack value also helps to smooth out the tracking. As always, playing super-clean is a must - keep your finger noise down and separate your notes as you play.

i always use a comp and a drive block. the drive block performs two functions - filtering the top and bottom and and providing a good strong signal level signal for the synth

Doesn't comp+drive increase the noise level big time? I only use the comp for clean sounds as the drive delivers a lot of compression on its own.

My hope is that cliff can recover som juice in the machine,the harmonizer seems to suffer a bit to,
im considering adding a H9 for reverb to gain some cpu but it seems a bit overkill,
time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom