AX8 stereo feed into Gemini 2

Jose Guevara

Hey all!! Anyone running a stereo feed into a Gemini 2 using the balanced 1/4" L and R outs?? (I'm reserving the xlr outs for front of house)I'm not having any luck getting sound out of both speakers. Just the left. I'm using 20 ft TRS 1/4 " cables going into a TRS tipped Y connector. Am I doing something wrong?? This is all new to me so any insite would be greatly appreciated!! TIA!

Might be wrong here but when you have the two lines from Output 2 going into a Y cable you are basically combining the signal into one path. So not sure how it would become a stereo feed.

Might be wrong here but when you have the two lines from Output 2 going into a Y cable you are basically combining the signal into one path. So not sure how it would become a stereo feed.
Are you going into both inputs on the Gemini 2?
The Gemini 2 only has 1 input. But it's suppose to be a stereo input ...hence using the stereo trs cable. I wish they would have installed seperate L and R inputs...huge design flaw in my opinion.

Have you tried just one output from the AX8 into the Gemini 2? Maybe you will hear it then.

Also, how are your patches set? I don't use stereo but Sum L/R. Try both to hear any differences.

Maybe someone that uses a stereo setup will chime in.

Have you tried just one output from the AX8 into the Gemini 2? Maybe you will hear it then.

Also, how are your patches set? I don't use stereo but Sum L/R. Try both to hear any differences.

Maybe someone that uses a stereo setup will chime in.
I've only had my ax8 for a couple weeks so I'm still learning how to create my own patches. I've been using factory presets to test the Gemini 2. I've pulled up patches with stereo delays and still only the left speaker works. Kind of at a loss. Thanks for your input!

I just bought a Gemini 2 and am running it in stereo. You might find it easier to use the XLR for the Gemini. In that case, you need a balanced cable that is 1/4" on one end and female XLR on the other. Then mate that with a Hosa YFX-119 (6") or YFX-101.5 (18") or equivalent Y cable to connect to the both XLR outputs on the AX8. That is how I'm running it with my Axe-FX III anyway. I'm sure there is some combination of cable and adapter to go from dual 1/4" TS to 1/4" TRS (delivering two mono signals, not a balanced signal). If you do it like this then get balanced 1/4" TRS cables to send to front of house. If you want, you get just get short ones and connect them to regular mic cables.

I agree that not having two (ideally balanced) inputs on the Gemini 2 is lame. I'm sure there are some technical constraints but whatever, work it out. Also, Mission makes it less than easy to understand how to use the stereo option. It took me a while to figure it out and even longer to find the Y cable.

I have also used the USB to send a stereo signal from my computer to play program material, and I have to say it does sound pretty awesome. When your wife or girlfriend complains about how much your Gemini 2 cost, you can say, "but babe, we can blast tunes at our parties".

Attachments

• Hosa YXF.png
    Hosa YXF.png
    126 KB · Views: 13
  • Hosa YXF-100 Pinout.pdf
    111.1 KB · Views: 10
It should work if you use the 20-ft TRS cable, plugged into the stereo TRS jack (Input 1) on the Gemini, then plugged into the correct Y-adapter (female TRS jack to two male TS plugs, 'ring/tip type') plugged onto the AX8 left and right outs.

https://www.zzounds.com/item--HOSYP...MIgNSYsZ-e4AIVBb7ACh2oXQspEAQYAyABEgKBlvD_BwE

Make it simple... Use two standard 1/4 TS instrument cables from the AX8, 1/4" jacks... to the Left and Right 1/4" combination inputs on the Gemini 2.

Last edited:
I just bought a Gemini 2 and am running it in stereo. You might find it easier to use the XLR for the Gemini. In that case, you need a balanced cable that is 1/4" on one end and female XLR on the other. Then mate that with a Hosa YFX-119 (6") or YFX-101.5 (18") or equivalent Y cable to connect to the both XLR outputs on the AX8. That is how I'm running it with my Axe-FX III anyway. I'm sure there is some combination of cable and adapter to go from dual 1/4" TS to 1/4" TRS (delivering two mono signals, not a balanced signal). If you do it like this then get balanced 1/4" TRS cables to send to front of house. If you want, you get just get short ones and connect them to regular mic cables.

I agree that not having two (ideally balanced) inputs on the Gemini 2 is lame. I'm sure there are some technical constraints but whatever, work it out. Also, Mission makes it less than easy to understand how to use the stereo option. It took me a while to figure it out and even longer to find the Y cable.

I have also used the USB to send a stereo signal from my computer to play program material, and I have to say it does sound pretty awesome. When your wife or girlfriend complains about how much your Gemini 2 cost, you can say, "but babe, we can blast tunes at our parties".
I purchased 2 humbuster cables from Fractal. Trs on one end and ts on the other. Used the Trs end in the 1/4 outs Left and Right into a Hosa Y cable with 1/4 Trs into mission. I'm reserving the xlr outs to go to FOH. Thanks for the info!!

I purchased 2 humbuster cables from Fractal. Trs on one end and ts on the other. Used the Trs end in the 1/4 outs Left and Right into a Hosa Y cable with 1/4 Trs into mission. I'm reserving the xlr outs to go to FOH. Thanks for the info!!
Humbuster cables won't give you stereo.

That should work. Maybe you have a faulty Y cable. I would try a different one. If that is not the problem and both humbuster cables are OK then I would suspect that there is a problem with your Gemini 2.

I would also try just going left out only to the Gemini set to Mono and then try right out only to the Gemini to verify both outputs from the AX8 are working.

I might be wrong, but I don't believe the Humbuster cables are intended to use with an FRFR speaker, but rather when using a guitar amp.

It should work if you use the 20-ft TRS cable, plugged into the stereo TRS jack (Input 1) on the Gemini, then plugged into the correct Y-adapter (female TRS jack to two male TS plugs, 'ring/tip type') plugged onto the AX8 left and right outs.

https://www.zzounds.com/item--HOSYP...MIgNSYsZ-e4AIVBb7ACh2oXQspEAQYAyABEgKBlvD_BwE

Make it simple... Use two standard 1/4 TS instrument cables from the AX8, 1/4" jacks... to the Left and Right 1/4" combination inputs on the Gemini 2.
Well stated and that is a really simple solution. I didn't even think of that. It should work. I wouldn't have used it anyway because I have an Axe-FX III and I have two sets of XLR outputs. Because they are XLR they lock in and I don't have to worry about them coming out, whereas the 1/4" TS/TRS could get accidentally disconnected more easily. With an AX8, this should not be a problem if you tape your cables down with gaffer's tape.

Back
Top Bottom