Ax8 - Stand Alone or Pedalboard?

Ax8: Standalone or Pedalboard

• Standalone, love the small footprint and portability

Votes: 51 45.9%
  • Small Pedalboard: easier to have everything connected

Votes: 49 44.1%
  • Big Pedalboard: don't care about the extra weight!

Votes: 11 9.9%

• Total voters

Orbm1

Inspired
So, I just got it and went to rehearsal yesterday. I only took the Ax8 and my guitar... easy to move around and couple of cables to connect.

I was thinking of mount it on a pedalboard with 3 expression pedals, my wireless unit, and power strip. I have a Pedaltrain Pro and everything fits ok but definitely adds bulk to the rig.

I realize that it is SO simple to connect a couple of cables and get going as a standalone, but with the pedalboard, eveything is secured and ready to go, still a couple of cables to connect, but in general "simpler"

What are you doing and which one do you prefer? If you are mounting, are you using a smaller pedalboard or a big one?

Incoming from a guitar-tuner-combo amp setup so it's ax8 only for me! May add an expression pedal at some point that'll be on floor too.

AX8 on TT 18x30 board. Two -3 "Volume / Wah Type" pedals, possible A/B splitter, possible Boss switch. I only play local gigs once / twice a month, so pedal board size is not an issue.

Scott (scottburrow) and Larry Mitchell have combined the concept by mounting their AX8 to a small block that plugs into their larger pedalboard. Best of all worlds, with just a bit more added bulk used alone, and quick plug in to a full pedalboard when needed. Pretty inventive, I thought!

I just use it and an EP-1 on the floor. Awesome when the full Axe Fx rig isn't in the travel plan.

Scott (scottburrow) and Larry Mitchell have combined the concept by mounting their AX8 to a small block that plugs into their larger pedalboard. Best of all worlds, with just a bit more added bulk used alone, and quick plug in to a full pedalboard when needed. Pretty inventive, I thought!

I just use it and an EP-1 on the floor. Awesome when the full Axe Fx rig isn't in the travel plan.

Here is a quick video from my Iphone. It works pretty simple.

I'm having the same exact dilemma. Until now I have been using it as a standalone and it is really great, however, I am finding it to be a pain to keep reconnecting the cables. I just ordered a a right angle power cable and am using right angle quarter inch cables and TRS cables so I am going to experiment keeping everything connected as a standalone. If that doesn't work out it will go onto a Pedaltrain Jr. with a Mission on the floor as I don't always bring the Mission. I think that is most likely going to be the end result.

You take the Ax8, then add an expression pedal, the add a pedalboard wireless than add you favorite pedalboard. Next you know thing is a monster with the weight to match...To each is own.:rolleyes:
Personally I don't see the point, for me it's ax8, 1 expression pedal and a cable all in a bag. If I want the big rig, there always axefx2.

Mine will be on a PT Pro with two expression pedals and 4-5 flavor pedals.

Yes, extra weight. However, I was already lugging around the PT Pro AND an 80lb Mesa in a road case, so from my perspective I'm easing the load significantly.

I found a short right-angle IEC to right-angle NEMA cable, so powering it via my underboard PP2+ is gonna be super ninja and slick. UPS guy can't come soon enough!

I might modify the EB VPjr's with linear pots and TRS jacks. I really prefer their feel, size and appearance.

Mine will be on a Diago pedalboard with 2 EV-1s for gigs, and on a Diago Commuter pedalboard, on it's own, for taking out on trips and jams. Looking forward to the flexibility this will bring :)

For now, my plan is to get a nice backpack to hold, lets say, the AX8 in a nicely padded compartment, all the cables in another ( some sort of DIY cable snake), maybe a pocket for an expresion pedal(which I hope I can do without, but good to have the space for it, if needed). Hopefully keep the weight under 20 pounds! So, I voted. Stand Alone!:)

Last edited:
What is the smallest NON-CUSTOM pedalboard that there is for the AX8 and lets say 2 exp. pedals? The Pedaltrain Pro is nice but it is HUGE!

My pedalboard before cleaning it up:

image.jpeg

What is the smallest NON-CUSTOM pedalboard that there is for the AX8 and lets say 2 exp. pedals? The Pedaltrain Pro is nice but it is HUGE!

My pedalboard before cleaning it up:

View attachment 30235

I'd say it would be the PT-2. That's what I'll be going for, you should be able to squeeze the AX8 and two expressions on. There might be a little overhang though.

Last edited:
A pt2 would hold the ax8 and a regular ernie ball pedal and an EB jr exactly, that's how I had my fx8 fitted on a pt3 which is a little deeper so I had room for a wireless and polytune.

I can see the appeal of no pedal board for gigs like a fly date or grab and go at the last minute but the trade off is the time you have to spend unpacking and hooking it up.

Back
Top Bottom