AX8 speakers

steveofoz

Hello everyone I am fairly new to the guitar processor world , previously I have been running a Mesa dual rec through 2- line 6 150w cabs with stomp box pedals. Now I have an AX8 which I love and am running it through a power amp into the 2 line 6 boxes. Question is I have been told that I should be using flat response speakers , I have been looking at a DB DVX15 and a Mackie HD1531 to use instead of the line 6 boxes. I mainly play at home with the occasional gig. Can someone shed some light on the whole FR thing. Also should I have cab sim turned off running through power amp and line 6 cabs. Thanks

Last edited:
If you go the way of FRFR or similar speakers you will cab sim turned on because the point of the FRFR technology is that the speaker will not (by design) be imparting any color to the sound so that in theory your AX8 patch will sound as you have designed (effects, amp, cab, etc). If you're mostly playing at home you might consider getting the best set of powered near field monitors that you can afford. This will allow you to enjoy a stereo field rather than mono and get great sound a more moderate in room volumes. For gigs, there is a plethora of options and opinions for how to get the most of your rig....arguably the best approach (depending on the type/level of the gigs you play) you would send one of your outputs from the AX8 to your PA/sound guy/sound board - this signal will have your full patch with effects/amp/cab etc....the other output would go to your stage monitor or in ear monitor feed - your stage monitor can be a traditional floor monitor in front of you or (if you prefer a backline style) you could get an FRFR monitor that looks more like a speaker cab (powered of course) like Friedman, Mission Engineering, Tech21, etc...or power amp/Cab. Again if you go with FRFR power amps/cabs, etc...you can keep your power amp sim on as well as your cab sim. The only time you should consider turning off your power amp/cab simulations in your AX8 patches as if your feeding the front end of a traditional amp/cab.

If you go the way of FRFR or similar speakers you will cab sim turned on because the point of the FRFR technology is that the speaker will not (by design) be imparting any color to the sound so that in theory your AX8 patch will sound as you have designed (effects, amp, cab, etc). If you're mostly playing at home you might consider getting the best set of powered near field monitors that you can afford. This will allow you to enjoy a stereo field rather than mono and get great sound a more moderate in room volumes. For gigs, there is a plethora of options and opinions for how to get the most of your rig....arguably the best approach (depending on the type/level of the gigs you play) you would send one of your outputs from the AX8 to your PA/sound guy/sound board - this signal will have your full patch with effects/amp/cab etc....the other output would go to your stage monitor or in ear monitor feed - your stage monitor can be a traditional floor monitor in front of you or (if you prefer a backline style) you could get an FRFR monitor that looks more like a speaker cab (powered of course) like Friedman, Mission Engineering, Tech21, etc...or power amp/Cab. Again if you go with FRFR power amps/cabs, etc...you can keep your power amp sim on as well as your cab sim. The only time you should consider turning off your power amp/cab simulations in your AX8 patches as if your feeding the front end of a traditional amp/cab.
Thanks mate very helpful

Back
Top Bottom