AX8 signal routing

BigJay

Hi guys :) I'm thinking about ditching most of my gear and replacing it with a AX8. Since I play in a "2 man" band, I need a very specific signal routing and I'm not sure the AX8 can do it. I'd have to set it up like that:

L jack : guitar signal (with cab emulation turned on/off depending if I'm playing through a guitar cab or an FR/FR)
R jack: "bass" signal, needs to be unaltered or to have it's own effects (guitar effects/amp/etc only on output L jack and xlr) and to be muted with the press of 1 switch
L xlr : guitar signal with cab emulation always on (even when L jack has cab emulation off), goes to PA
R xlr : clone of L xlr, goes to IEM
effect loop: needs to be after the cab emulation section, since I have a jamman looper running at the end of my chain.

[edit for Clarity]:I don't need a stereo input nor a dual amp.
I need a amp/effect signal on the L jack output and a dry signal (that can be switched off) on the R jack output, that will then be handled by some other pedals to transform it into a bass sound (nanopog>b3>amp). The ax8 would act like a kind of splitte

Is the AX8 able to handle such a signal routing? I'm using a gt-100 + amp for that right now. It works, but it is too much cable-work.

Another possibility would be to have the AX8 control a midi switcher that handles the "bass" side of the signal, but that would increase the cost of that setup.

Last edited:
The AX8 has a mono input. You cannot do what you want with the AX8 unless you use the FX Loop, which is stereo, for the input. Then you won't have an FX Loop. Also, the AX8 only allows one amp-block instance so you cannot run an amp block for bass and another one for guitar.

The AX8 is not an AxeFX on the floor. It uses a cheaper and less powerful chipset than the AxeFX. You'll need the AxeFX to do what you want, or look at competing products.

If you want to use the AX8 with a separate bass setup, make sure the AX8's midi implementation can handle what you want. The AX8 midi implementation is fairly limited.

@ethomas1013 is correct, ax8 does not have the functionality you seek, and much as I dislike touting the competition on this forum, the reality is that Helix would do this routing elegantly, if you can live with the tones.

The AX8 has a mono input. You cannot do what you want with the AX8 unless you use the FX Loop, which is stereo, for the input. Then you won't have an FX Loop. Also, the AX8 only allows one amp-block instance so you cannot run an amp block for bass and another one for guitar.

The AX8 is not an AxeFX on the floor. It uses a cheaper and less powerful chipset than the AxeFX. You'll need the AxeFX to do what you want, or look at competing products.

If you want to use the AX8 with a separate bass setup, make sure the AX8's midi implementation can handle what you want. The AX8 midi implementation is fairly limited.
Sorry, my OP wasn't clear enough. I don't need a stereo input nor a dual amp.

I need a amp/effect signal on the L jack output and a dry signal (that can be switched off) on the R jack output, that will then be handled by some other pedals to transform it into a bass sound (nanopog>b3>amp). The ax8 would act like a kind of splitter. Could it work like that?

Thanks for the info about the midi implementation

@ethomas1013 is correct, ax8 does not have the functionality you seek, and much as I dislike touting the competition on this forum, the reality is that Helix would do this routing elegantly, if you can live with the tones.
Nah, I didn't like a single of the samples I heard from the helix (the weren't bad, just not good enough that I'd want to replace my amp with it). I the ax8 doesn't work, I'd rather go with the atomic amplifire

Ok, I read it as if you were using it for two people, a guitarist and a bass player, and needed separate signal paths for each.

From a signal routing standpoint, you should be able to do that. The 4x8 grid gives you a lot of flexibility, and the Output lets you pan each row of the grid to the left or right outputs. I did a simple test where I set up row two with an amp and cab block, and row three with a dry signal. Panned row two to Left in the output, and row 3 to right in the output. Worked fine. To turn off the output from row three (the dry signal) you could use the Vol/Pan block and set the output to Mute when the block is bypassed, and then either use Scenes or put the Vol/Pan block on a footswitch to turn it on/off.

There's probably several ways you could configure this, and my test may not be the best way to do it.

Last edited:
Thank you :D That's great news.

I went into the manual and saw that the effect loop and cabinet simulator are handled as blocks, I should be able to place the cab before the loop in the signal chain.

PS: wow, I had never realised there was such a HUGE price difference between the US and europe for fractal products :confused: Converted in my local money, the ax8 is ~1230.- on the US shop and 1760.- on the european one. It is the same price as a Kemper head. Would probably be cheaper for me to buy a plane ticket and go for a week-end to NY to buy it there :p

... and then pay import tax when you enter Europe again .

Back
Top Bottom