AX8 Shrill High End

KAM

I just got my AX8 and it's awesome, but I've noticed, compared to my Kemper, it has a harsh top end. I tried a different set of monitors which are darker and it was a great improvement. However, I'd like to know which settings to tweak to get rid of the top end harshness. Thanks in advance.

What amp models have you tried so far?

High cut in the cab block (anywhere from 5.5k up when playing loud helps a lot), treble and presence controls on the amp are the places to start. "Ears not eyes" is always the best rule so don't be afraid of turning certain settings to 0. Alternatively, audition darker sounder IR's.

I heard something about the high cut, but wasn't didn't want to go messing around with the settings without understanding it first. I think I have an idea of what to do now. Does that have to be done individually per cab or is there a way to apply the same setting to multiple cabs?

To apply to multiple presets: use the global EQ in the Global menu.

I heard something about the high cut, but wasn't didn't want to go messing around with the settings without understanding it first. I think I have an idea of what to do now. Does that have to be done individually per cab or is there a way to apply the same setting to multiple cabs?
Yek's suggestion of using Global Eq is a great one.
I would still recommend trying the cut within the cab block. Although you will need to do it to each Cab you use, I find that I may like it at a slightly different setting on different Cabs (IRs), so it's a setting you may want to play with and get comfortable using it.
Once you do, it becomes second nature when creating a preset.

Yek's suggestion of using Global Eq is a great one.
I would still recommend trying the cut within the cab block. Although you will need to do it to each Cab you use, I find that I may like it at a slightly different setting on different Cabs (IRs), so it's a setting you may want to play with and get comfortable using it.
Once you do, it becomes second nature when creating a preset.

If I apply it to the cab block, then will that only apply to that cab in the patch or will the cab always have that setting?

It only applies to that cab, in that preset.

Yek's suggestion of using the global eq would apply to all presets.

I do it in the cab block because I sometimes like to tweak it differently based on the IR I'm using.

From what I heard I suspect most kemper profiles are captured with a high cut filter already applied, that's why at first the ax8 might sound harsher

I usually keep the output eq flat so I can use it to fine tune the whole rig when playing different venues. Each amp/ir pairing will want a different hi cut setting (and low cut too)

I believe you can use fractool to batch edit multiple presets though if you want to set the hi cut across all your presets

Well, I fiddled with the high cut feature and it works, but it needs very careful tweaking as it seems to lose too much brilliance if you don't adjust to a rather fine point. One of the JCM800 patches was a bit harsh in the high end, so just a little nudge of the high cut worked perfectly. It maintained the sizzle but cut the harshness.

Hi kam,
I'd be going with yes idea and using the global eq because you won't always have those harsh speakers. If you use global eq, when you get better speakers you can just adjust once and all your presets will be fixed accordingly. Using the hi cut means every preset will have to be altered.
Thanks
Pauly

Hi kam,
I'd be going with yes idea and using the global eq because you won't always have those harsh speakers. If you use global eq, when you get better speakers you can just adjust once and all your presets will be fixed accordingly. Using the hi cut means every preset will have to be altered.
Thanks
Pauly

I thought about that, but since I'm only using a couple of presets right now, I just changed the two cabs. I'll experiment with the global feature though and see how that works out. Thanks.

You can try cutting the highs in the cab block (I like 7500) and also set the filter slope to 12 rather than 6.

Odds are that it's not the highs that are harsh but in fact the upper mids.. 2-5k is absolutely brutal on the ear drums so try notching some of that out

Back
Top Bottom