AX8 + Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 + Matrix Q12x2 = :-)

rednebb

Inspired
Hello, I just wanted to share my experiences with this new setup. I've had the AX8 and two Matrix Q12 coaxial cabs for a while, but recently I bought the new Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 to power my Q12's. It's got plenty of volume, it fits perfectly on top of one of my Q12's (attached with velcro..), and it's got four big knobs on the front for volume and eq, which I love. I've used this setup on various gigs lately, from a loud 7-piece rock band to "acoustic" solo gigs, with all kinds of guitars, with the Q12's on the ground or on speaker stands, and so far I'm very happy, it seems to sound great in all situations :) Sometimes I only use it in mono, using just one of the channels on the Powerstage and one of the Q12's, that works great too. I have my AX8 mounted together with 4 expression pedals in a pedalboard flightcase, and the Powerstage is so small it fits snugly on top of the pedals inside the case, so it's super easy to carry and set up. :)

Are this power amps FRFR or just another take on the "amp like" EHX mag44, Quiltner's, etc.?
Well, it sounds FRFR to me, but SD doesn't actually say that it is FRFR. What they do say, is this: "PowerStage 700 is a revolutionary power amp designed specifically for guitarists using modelers, pedals and effects processors to create their tone" and "When you create your tone from a modeler, pedals or effects processor, what you want is a clean, transparent power source that brings your tone to life."

There's an informative episode of That Pedal Show where they test the PS 170 (and the 44).

I don't think the 170 is really FRFR (with controls at noon), because it sounds even nice as a standalone clean amp, without any amp model or preamp in front of it.

It doesn't aim at simulating a full-blown tube power amp either. You'll want to keep Power Amp Modeling enabled in the AX8 or Axe-Fx, for dirty tones at least.

It succeeds very, very well at providing loads of power, while staying clean all the way (very important), and sounding great.

I'm using the 700 with a cab, sounds dead flat to me. But it's a different quality of flat, compared to the matrix I had, early model, which sounded more harsh and congested.

Back
Top Bottom