AX8 Scenes VS Presets - How best to play live sets

I usually use a preset for a particular sound, and up to 8 scenes.

For example, my Marshall preset is set up for the bottom and top rows. The bottom rows are all base sounds, and the top rows are usually my lead tones based off of my base sounds (like I had set up with my old analog rig). This is how I have my AX8 and my AXE II set up. (On my AXE II, I have more switches to control effects ) I always look at the bottom row as rhythm tones and the top row as lead tones or special effects.

Top row: Lead (+drive +echo +filterboost) Lead (same as left +Chorus) *Special* (depends on patch) Munch Lead

Bottom Row: Crunch Crunch+Chorus+Echo Clean (amp switch) Munch (+Drive)

The special could be anything - lead + Phaser, or Rotory, etc. Depends on the patch. And I only use the Munch lead on my main patch, for other song-specific patches, it could be something different

I made a similar patch using a Rectifier Tones, an identical patch to this with a different clean tone, some special effects for particular songs on the top row, in place of Special and Munch Lead, etc.

I have other song specific patches, that might only have a few scenes, but my lead tone is always the top row, left-most switch. I played that way for over 20 years with my analog rig (ADA MP1, Quadraverb, etc.) so I am real used to the setup.

If I only have a few scenes in a patch, I usually use the extra switches for drive, reverb, delay, other effects, etc.

I usually use a preset for a particular sound, and up to 8 scenes.

For example, my Marshall preset is set up for the bottom and top rows. The bottom rows are all base sounds, and the top rows are usually my lead tones based off of my base sounds (like I had set up with my old analog rig). This is how I have my AX8 and my AXE II set up. (On my AXE II, I have more switches to control effects ) I always look at the bottom row as rhythm tones and the top row as lead tones or special effects.

Top row: Lead (+drive +echo +filterboost) Lead (same as left +Chorus) *Special* (depends on patch) Munch Lead

Bottom Row: Crunch Crunch+Chorus+Echo Clean (amp switch) Munch (+Drive)

The special could be anything - lead + Phaser, or Rotory, etc. Depends on the patch. And I only use the Munch lead on my main patch, for other song-specific patches, it could be something different

I made a similar patch using a Rectifier Tones, an identical patch to this with a different clean tone, some special effects for particular songs on the top row, in place of Special and Munch Lead, etc.

I have other song specific patches, that might only have a few scenes, but my lead tone is always the top row, left-most switch. I played that way for over 20 years with my analog rig (ADA MP1, Quadraverb, etc.) so I am real used to the setup.

If I only have a few scenes in a patch, I usually use the extra switches for drive, reverb, delay, other effects, etc.
Hello there, I see you have a very efficient and organized system for yourself. I like that idea a lot. So would you just X/Y another different amp block for the appropriate preset and scene if you want another rhythm tone?

Hello there, I see you have a very efficient and organized system for yourself. I like that idea a lot. So would you just X/Y another different amp block for the appropriate preset and scene if you want another rhythm tone?

Yes, my "clean amp switch" refers to a scene switching to my "y" amp, which is the USA clean for my clean tone, and I happen to use the Brit 800 for my Marshall tone.

For my Recto Patch, we play a Seether song, Fake It, and I noticed a crunch tone during the verse, a munch tone (my term for even heavier overdrive!) during the chorus and then a clean tone during the first half of the second verse. In that instance and I decided to play with the scene controller on the input gain of the amp (scene controllers are separate from scenes, and control something, in this case, input gain, and there is a setting one can program for each scene - in this case, percentage of gain compared to where the gain knob is set on the amp). I have the gain knob set at 5, and the scene controller, when at 100% for munch (which is the gain knob at 5 in full), less for crunch (about 60% of the gain knob at 5) and very low (14%) for an almost clean tone. For the lead in that song, I have it in the "special" spot, my standard lead boost+rotary. (I can re-use this patch with my standard lead and chorus tones for other songs that use the rectifier tone as the base tone - this was my first!)

So that's a different and precise way to clean up the amp using the exact same amp model, without having to roll the guitar volume knob up and down.

Last edited:
What a fantastic program the Fracpad has become. I've now got 10 sets with the song opening preset, scene, etc and depending on what guitar I'm using. No Fred Astaire on the AX8 switches.
This makes it so easy. BIG fan of the AX8 and the Fracpad, worth every penny.

For Pink Floyd in particular, I'd suggest you check out Fremen's preset bundle. Over 400 presets and he has a continually evolving set of many Pink Floyd presets as well for many songs and particular styles, dialed in already. It may be a fast way for you to get the presets setup and get your scenes as you like.

Where does one find Fremens Preset Bundle?

Back
Top Bottom