Bug? AX8 Scenes Change Spontaneously +Volume Drop

ucnick

Inspired
Posts moved to new thread at request of Chris ( moderator) on 2/1818.

ORIGINAL POST 1/25/18:

Running 9.03. I have had (and am still occasionally having) scenes spontaneously changing of their own accord in some of my presets. The initial occurrence was in a Marshall preset, I moved it to another location and it seems to have stopped in that preset, but it is now beginning to occur on a Dumble preset. Seems to always be a move from a higher gain (higher numbered) preset to minimum gain preset (scene 1) regardless of the preset.

I have also experienced a volume cut-out or drop (not sure which, band was playing, so if volume just dropped really low would not have been able to hear it) during a gig that thankfully was seemingly fixed by going from the preset and then back again during the song. Of course, the volume dropped out just when I was about to do a solo, so that kind of sucked. I was running it connected to FracPad on my tablet. I'm a little unhappy with these occurrences, they didn't start until last fall (version 8 something) of and have lost some confidence in the AX8 at this point, so I haven't used the AX8 at a gig since the volume cut-out back in early December, I use it just to woodshed at home, I want to see if and how often the issues (in particular the volume loss) occurs again. I'm relying on my little backup pedalboard and my Katana to get me through gigs until I can figure out what is going on and get it fixed.

UPDATE 2/18/18:
The spontaneous scene change is happening much more frequently on the first preset I noticed it last summer, my go-to Marshall Plexi 50 - based preset. Last night I fired up my AX8 to work on some tunes and I went to my Marshall go-to and almost immediately after selecting a higher gain scene it popped back to the minimum gain scene. I was playing for about 15 minutes and it happened three times. It is also beginning to occur on another preset I created a few weeks back using the ODS amp to get the Robben Ford "Cannonball Shuffle" tone. I havent noticed it occurring in other presets. Yet.:confused: BTW, USB was not connected.

Workaround is to create a different Marshall go-to preset to use, but I am now a bit gun-shy about using my AX8 live or recording, as I don't know when a given preset may act up. The volume drop issue is also very annoying, and seemed to happen particularly when playing live, although less frequently. I may also try rolling back the fw to pre-8.02. It now seems to me was early last summer when this began, about the time 8.02 came out. During a gig, of course.

In the meantime I am using my backup pedalboard and my Katana, hopefully this can be resolved sometime soon.

FWIW I have attached the problematic presets. The Marsh preset (which uses JVM 410 not Plexi) is the worst offender.

Attachments

• Marsh_Cln2Mean.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Cannonball Shuffle.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Posts moved to new thread at request of Chris ( moderator) on 2/1818.

ORIGINAL POST 1/25/18:

Running 9.03. I have had (and am still occasionally having) scenes spontaneously changing of their own accord in some of my presets. The initial occurrence was in a Marshall preset, I moved it to another location and it seems to have stopped in that preset, but it is now beginning to occur on a Dumble preset. Seems to always be a move from a higher gain (higher numbered) preset to minimum gain preset (scene 1) regardless of the preset.

I have also experienced a volume cut-out or drop (not sure which, band was playing, so if volume just dropped really low would not have been able to hear it) during a gig that thankfully was seemingly fixed by going from the preset and then back again during the song. Of course, the volume dropped out just when I was about to do a solo, so that kind of sucked. I was running it connected to FracPad on my tablet. I'm a little unhappy with these occurrences, they didn't start until last fall (version 8 something) of and have lost some confidence in the AX8 at this point, so I haven't used the AX8 at a gig since the volume cut-out back in early December, I use it just to woodshed at home, I want to see if and how often the issues (in particular the volume loss) occurs again. I'm relying on my little backup pedalboard and my Katana to get me through gigs until I can figure out what is going on and get it fixed.

UPDATE 2/18/18:
The spontaneous scene change is happening much more frequently on the first preset I noticed it last summer, my go-to Marshall Plexi 50 - based preset. Last night I fired up my AX8 to work on some tunes and I went to my Marshall go-to and almost immediately after selecting a higher gain scene it popped back to the minimum gain scene. I was playing for about 15 minutes and it happened three times. It is also beginning to occur on another preset I created a few weeks back using the ODS amp to get the Robben Ford "Cannonball Shuffle" tone. I havent noticed it occurring in other presets. Yet.:confused: BTW, USB was not connected.

Workaround is to create a different Marshall go-to preset to use, but I am now a bit gun-shy about using my AX8 live or recording, as I don't know when a given preset may act up. The volume drop issue is also very annoying, and seemed to happen particularly when playing live, although less frequently. I may also try rolling back the fw to pre-8.02. It now seems to me was early last summer when this began, about the time 8.02 came out. During a gig, of course.

In the meantime I am using my backup pedalboard and my Katana, hopefully this can be resolved sometime soon.

FWIW I have attached the problematic presets. The Marsh preset (which uses JVM 410 not Plexi) is the worst offender.

Pardon me, but I beg to differ. It is indeed a bug, or a glitch.

According to dictionary.com definition of the word "bug":

Informal. a defect or imperfection, as in a mechanicaldevice, computer program, or plan; glitch:
The test flight discovered the bugs in the new plane

There is no requirement that it apply to all affected devices. A glitch does not necessarily affect all similar devices the same. Definition of "glitch", again from dictionary.com:

Computers. any error, malfunction, or problem.
Compare bug1(def 5).

ANY error. Does not specify it must occur to all such devices.

In any event, I became tired of waiting and have moved on to a Helix, which is working and sounding quite well, and have put the AX8 into storage. However, I will contact them and see what they have to say. Thanks for the help.

guys, let's not derail this thread.

this issue is documented and known. but it is so intermittent, even to the people reporting it.

this one is very hard to track down and none of the testers have experienced it yet, to my knowledge. we can only fix bugs that have a clear repeatable process. once we get that, it can be fixed.

further, this report differs from the other ones: this one mentions scenes changing. no other report with the "volume drop" problem mentioned that. so this could be several things happening, or something completely different.

it's unfortunate that this is happening to a small amount of AX8 users, but it should not be cause for concern for everyone.

thanks.

If it would help, I can send you the unit for evaluation as it is not being used at present. And as long as you don't charge me by the hour. :eek:

If it would help, I can send you the unit for evaluation as it is not being used at present. And as long as you don't charge me by the hour. :eek:

I downloaded the Cannonball Shuffle..no weirdness at all. More the reason to contact Fractal directly. No scene change issues. The only volume drop is scene one, but you have it set like that so it's expected.
I was hoping it was the preset, but evidently not.

Back
Top Bottom