AX8 Rig… Should I do it?

D-Nastee1

I'm considering putting together an AX8 pedalboard style rig. I'm concerned about the concept of running direct though (since I won't have my own sound guy) and then just using QSCs as monitors on stage. Worried the sound I'm hearing on stage and what's coming out FOH won't be consistent. Also that having the guitar direct will totally screw up some of your less competant sound guys. I do have a Marshall JCM800 2203x Reissue half stack so I guess I could always use that as a power section with a 4x12 and just let the sound guy mic me, but the whole idea is really not to lug some much gear and always be able to have my tones.

So I guess my first thought is to get some opinions on whether or not I should be concerned if I program the rig through the QSCs and then just go direct? Especially from people who are currently doing so...

and secondly, for people using this kind of rig are you finding you need other pedals as well to make it work? or can these things really cover most all the bases with a few expression pedals? I'm playing pop rock and going for similar tones to Matchbox 20, Jeff Buckley, etc.

Also if anyone has an AX8 pedalboard rig would love to see pics of what you are running.

Thanks!

First off check here for pics of pedalboards 20+ pages of them to check out! As to if you should do it or not is totally up to you! I went there from an Axe FX II rig no regrets at all.

Dialing in tones from the QSC should translate fairly well as most PA's are not flat so it should get you close enough. For incompetent sound guys you can make that same argument with a mic'd cab. At least with the Ax8 you have more consistency from stage to stage without all the weight.

Last edited:
I am just running just an AX8 and exp pedal with an EV PA speaker behind me. It's been working for me... My old rig was a AC30 style Hayseed amp with 15 pedals. The only issue I have seen is getting the levels set between the presets\scenes. Pretty minor stuff...

I would say pick a small gig and give it a shot with just your AX8 and QSC speakers. If you want to hedge your bets, you could create presets where the FX loop out is feeding your Marshall (without the amp\cab sims) and send the main outs to the QSC PA speakers.

Who made your interface?
Interface?

Pedal board Trailer trash pro series 36x18
Wireless Shure GLXD16
two EV-1's
two Fs5 foot switches
and a PSM 900 underneath.

I have the AX8 on another smaller board, so I can pull it off, if I don't need all that other stuff.
It's attached by Clevis bolts.

I'm considering putting together an AX8 pedalboard style rig. I'm concerned about the concept of running direct though (since I won't have my own sound guy) and then just using QSCs as monitors on stage. Worried the sound I'm hearing on stage and what's coming out FOH won't be consistent. Also that having the guitar direct will totally screw up some of your less competant sound guys. I do have a Marshall JCM800 2203x Reissue half stack so I guess I could always use that as a power section with a 4x12 and just let the sound guy mic me, but the whole idea is really not to lug some much gear and always be able to have my tones.

So I guess my first thought is to get some opinions on whether or not I should be concerned if I program the rig through the QSCs and then just go direct? Especially from people who are currently doing so...

and secondly, for people using this kind of rig are you finding you need other pedals as well to make it work? or can these things really cover most all the bases with a few expression pedals? I'm playing pop rock and going for similar tones to Matchbox 20, Jeff Buckley, etc.

Also if anyone has an AX8 pedalboard rig would love to see pics of what you are running.

Thanks!

I used to use a QSC K12 as my monitor and go direct when available, and it worked great. This was with the Axe FX II, but it should be identical with the AX8. Every PA will be slightly different, but if you're miking an amp, you're introducing even more variance to the FOH tone, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Also, I think you can easily cover the vast majority of pop rock tones with just the AX8.

Thanks!

Here's my (extremely tidy and convenient) rig of doom :)

Board%20wide_zps2xwvzoes.jpg

Personal opinion on the direct thing? I wouldn't sweat it. What will make you play better is the sound you get on stage - the FOH is up to the FOH and could be inconsistent regardless of whether you're direct or using a cab with a mic on it. The audience is going to get off on your playing and the overall blend, and your playing will be better if you're enjoying your tones on stage. Good luck dude!

An incompetent soundman/system can screw up a direct signal just as easily as a mic'd guitar cab. I've been mainly FRFR since the 90's, before it was called FRFR so I've suffered thru all kinds of crap. Suffice to say I love being direct. My sound on stage is very consistent (using a CLR) so even if I do come across a bad situation at least I'm comfortable on stage. And these days working in AC you never know what you're going to get.

Thanks!

Check here - http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/show-us-your-ax8-rig-post-your-pics.107905/

If you're running a traditional guitar cab, the sound you hear onstage is never consistent with FOH. Never. Regardless of how good the sound guy is. You'll get more consistency running FRFR.

Being the lead singer, the only guitarist and running sound from stage here's how I look at things:

1) As I get older the lighter the equipment the better. My rig will now be the AX8 and a QSC K10, which will act as a vocal monitor and my guitar monitor. That eliminates my amp, my pedals, micing my amp, etc.

2) FOH tone - being that I'm on stage I of course always wanted to magically stick one of my ears out in the audience but alas that is not possible. I always heard my amp fine but what did it sound like FOH? No clue. So being that I use QSC KW12's as my FOH speakers I figure the sound onstage will be similar to what's FOH.

3) Accidentally kicking the mic out of place - doesn't happen anymore. This significantly affects FOH sound and most times I wouldn't realize it until the end of the set.

4) My method of setup is now a piece of cake. Fast, easy and consistent. I'll carry a Tech 21 Blonde and a few pedals as backup in case the AX8 fails.

It just is much easier and the digital stuff is so convenient nowadays. Yes there's a learning curve but I had the same issue when I went from an analog mixer to the QSC Touchmix - and I have reaped the rewards of just as good sound but smaller and lighter gear.

P.S. - this AX8 blows me away. The Marshall sounds are fantastic, the Bassman is a Bassman, the AC30 is an AC30, etc etc.

I use the same rig you're proposing live about 3-4 nights a week. Ax8 into a QSC k10 wedge and direct to FOH.

Sounds great, no complaints. There are better FRFR solutions out there but I find that most FOH systems out in LA are similar to QSC so there's a pretty close translation.

How are you powering the G70?, im looking for a power bank that can handle its power consumption (9V 500mA).

Here's my (extremely tidy and convenient) rig of doom :)

Personal opinion on the direct thing? I wouldn't sweat it. What will make you play better is the sound you get on stage - the FOH is up to the FOH and could be inconsistent regardless of whether you're direct or using a cab with a mic on it. The audience is going to get off on your playing and the overall blend, and your playing will be better if you're enjoying your tones on stage. Good luck dude!

Back
Top Bottom