AX8 rendered unusable at outdoor gigs with electrical noise. HELP!

Ludwig77

Second outdoor gig last night where the AX8 crapped out on me with some sort of electrical noise making it TOTALLY unusable.

I tried different power jacks. I tried an Ebtech HumX and Pyle Hum eliminator and even the Humster, all to no avail.

I'm looking for others that experience this and for the fix.

After having to play the gig with my Tech 21 Flyrig5 (which I keep as a backup) and suffering through the greatly inferior sound, I tried to recreate the issue AFTER the gig to get on recording but it wouldn't do it. (Of course).

The two thing that might trigger it are being outdoors (dirty power?) and maybe the unit getting hot in the sun on a warmer day? HELP!

I had an issue at a local venue that has crap power - I bought a Furman power conditioner for like $90 that seemed to help. I've not any issues with my AX8 being out in the sun though.

I have played outdoors in direct sun with my AX8 many times and never had this issue. Is your ground switch correct? Are you using quality plugs, power strips, and cables?

Never had this issue with gigging 3x a week since the AX8 was released. You might consider contacting support. Also a recording of the noise would help us help you.

support.fractalaudio.com

Any issues I've ever had could be traced to cables/plugs/grounding/guitar electronics, never to the AX8. For decades I've ALWAYS used a power conditioner, so never a problem there. It definitely helps and has saved my gear a few times.

You might test cables if you haven't already. Specifically: XLR cables that are damaged or have the shield connected to ground can cause problems with some gear or in some venues and not show up in others. The shield should not be terminated to the XLR ground: The XLR will connect chassis grounds properly between the AX8 and mixer/FRFR etc, but the cable can cause a ground loop or act as an antenna if internally terminated or connected to improperly grounded gear, and ground lift won't always fix it.

Good luck sorting it out.

Last edited:
I had alot of problems like this with my old Axe-fx Ultra that I toured with for a couple of years. Are you using TS cables or XLR from the outs on the AX8?

My final solution back then after trying EVERYTHING, was to put electrical tape on the power cable to the Axe and then the electrical noise was completely gone, but this is apparently dangerous so I would advice against it :)

First figure out where the noise is coming from. Unplug your guitar and guitar cable from the ax8 input. Is it still making the same noise? If it is you can rule out the guitar. Also what else is in the signal chain? You can remove one thing at a time to isolate. If you are sharing a circuit with someone else's gear this could also cause some noise, maybe try plugging into the other side of the stage if possible. Is it still quiet/normal noise levels at home? If so probably not the ax8.

When you switched to the backup did you use the same cables?
Did you try the ground lift?
Do you have an outlet tester to confirm the wiring is right where you are plugging in?

I haven't giged much, but I am an electronics engineer. It is always a good idea to have a list of the quick things to check for when stuff goes wrong. If you have a problem right before a gig you might overlook some of the simpler stuff because you are in a rush to get things up, and going.

I always brought one of these with me when I had gigs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Receptacle_tester quick, and easy. I even had that thought of getting a small UPS power bar for the AX8 if I start gigging again.

I had a bad hum going last gig. Don't have it nailed down yet but narrowed it down to my wireless or strobe tuner. Went away when i plugged in direct to the AX8.

Any issues I've ever had could be traced to cables/plugs/grounding/guitar electronics, never to the AX8. For decades I've ALWAYS used a power conditioner, so never a problem there. It definitely helps and has saved my gear a few times.

You might test cables if you haven't already. Specifically: XLR cables that are damaged or have the shield connected to ground can cause problems with some gear or in some venues and not show up in others. The shield should not be terminated to the XLR ground: The XLR will connect chassis grounds properly between the AX8 and mixer/FRFR etc, but the cable can cause a ground loop or act as an antenna if internally terminated or connected to improperly grounded gear, and ground lift won't always fix it.

Good luck sorting it out.

This is a great comment, thanks for that. Yesterday I experienced my first gig with the AX8 and I had the above mentioned bad surprised... a digital hum which made the unit unusable and it was very embarrassing... I had it connected thru my usual Neutrik XLR which I use to mic an SM57 or for my acoustic set (literally hundreds of times). After going crazy for 10 minutes with the sound guys (it was quite an impressive stage) they decided to not trust my XLR and replaced it... and everything was OK... The sound of the unit was incredibly fantastic... I'm going to check my XLRs now and hope no hum will ruin my joy now..

This is a great comment, thanks for that. Yesterday I experienced my first gig with the AX8 and I had the above mentioned bad surprised... a digital hum which made the unit unusable and it was very embarrassing... I had it connected thru my usual Neutrik XLR which I use to mic an SM57 or for my acoustic set (literally hundreds of times). After going crazy for 10 minutes with the sound guys (it was quite an impressive stage) they decided to not trust my XLR and replaced it... and everything was OK... The sound of the unit was incredibly fantastic... I'm going to check my XLRs now and hope no hum will ruin my joy now..
nice. it's 90% of the time always some cable. they are more fragile than we treat them.

Back
Top Bottom