AX8 processing latency

As far as CPU usage, this is why I use the loops. I have other effects that I prefer to the AX8 effects, anyway (G System and 4 H9s). I am primarily using the amp model and gate only in the AX8. I really only use the AX8 for the modeling... not much CPU usage when you don't use a ton of on-board effects. I am weird, I know. I am using the AX8 like a rack unit... I don't use it as a pedal board. I use the G System to control the AX8 now. I was formerly was using a Voodoo Lab Ground Control but I like the G System pedal board better and the effects it has. Combined with the H9s, GTFO. lol

Is it same value in Axe FX II too?

Quoting from a post on TGP....

Cliff: "Should be around 2ms. If not using the amp block it's around 1.3 ms

The Axe-Fx II has the same latency as the old Axe-Fx. The amp block in the II, however, has an additional 0.3 ms latency due to shuffling the data back and forth between the master and slave DSPs.

I have a DI box, so I ran my guitar into my DI and recorded the output from DI. The DI also has a thru (or "To amp" output), so I ran that output to my Ax8 and recorded my AX8.

On a preset with 84% CPU usage, the signal through the AX8 was delayed by ca. 150 samples at 48000 samples/second, which is roughly 3.5 ms. On a much lower CPU preset, I got 105 samples, which is roughly 2 ms.

As the signal through the AX8 has been processed, the two waveforms look nothing alike, so my latency estimates are nothing more than rough estimates. A 3.5 ms latency corresponds to having your ear 1 meter away from the speaker.
I forgot to turn off the input gate for my test. That could easily be perceived as 1ms or so extra latency, as I only gauged the difference in time for when sound turned on.

Ok, here is a report after few nights of tweaking:

a) The latency issue for the most part was fixed by "stiffening" the amp model to have more attack. However, I still prefer putting all time based effects after the CAB block to "parallel" signal path with 100% wet mix and then adjusting the effect level using the effect block output gain. For me this seems to give better response (psycholigical?...)

b) As a whole, I find the AX8 to have a bit too little CPU power, because I cannot have my regular signal chain with all effects when the reverb is set to high quality. This is not a show stopper but would had been nice to know before making a choise between Axe-FX2 and AX8. (poor pre-purchase test possibilities in Finland)

c) Due to the lack of processing power I use the AX8 as a pedal platform, where all the effects before the amp model comes from my analog pedalboard. The AX8 seems to cope very well with them when the right amp model is chosen. To this purpose the AX8 works almost as well as Scuffham S-Gear.

I think I will keep it. Apart from the limitations described above I am quite happy to the sound I am getting from it. If I use external compressor (dynacomp) and drive pedals, I can put EQs, chorus, two delays and a high quality reverb after the stereo ultrares CAB block.

In a way that is nice, because I can tweak the AX8 amp model to resemble my actual tube amp and use my pedalboard with it.

Back
Top Bottom