AX8 preset switching

Larry Largen

Inspired
Is there a way to use foot switches 1 thru 8 to change presets directly? You know, with out having to tap dance between f1 etc? And maybe assign some of them to turn on and off blocks. Basically, can the AX8 foot switches be setup to behave like the MFC-101?

Greetings,

You can also do this per-preset if you like, although I suggest mapping out a plan beforehand as each preset you change to will need to have its own corresponding preset assignments (assuming you want to switch back or have the option to move to yet another preset in the same bank. This method (per-preset) can be done by accessing the "Footswitches" button and right clicking on the footswitch location(s) you want to program and grabbing the corresponding preset number.

FYI, this is exactly how I do all my timbre changes right now (divided into three banks). Although I posted my layout/plan on a different thread a while back, I'm happy to post my reference file here again if you like.

Cheers,

Alan

This is why I'm going to purchase a Morningstar MC6, to use for preset switching and other things.

But, it can all be done easily with the available footswitches, for sure.

Hi again,

Just in case you want to read more about my general approach for per-preset preset switching, here's the post where I explain my initial plan:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...h-preset-switching.114463/page-3#post-1370515

I've made a few tweaks since then, but the same basic approach still applied. Also, note that I have at least one preset where I also use a stomp (on/off) for chorus as well--and that this approach allows you to have some footswithces change presets and others do whatever you'd like (stomp, scene change, etc.).

Cheers,

Alan

How is this different than just putting the AX8 into pre set mode (by holding F-1 down)?
The OP wanted to get presets 1 - 8 with a direct preset. Pushing and holding F1 is not a direct press. Unless I misread the original request.

Greetings,

You can also do this per-preset if you like, although I suggest mapping out a plan beforehand as each preset you change to will need to have its own corresponding preset assignments (assuming you want to switch back or have the option to move to yet another preset in the same bank. This method (per-preset) can be done by accessing the "Footswitches" button and right clicking on the footswitch location(s) you want to program and grabbing the corresponding preset number.

FYI, this is exactly how I do all my timbre changes right now (divided into three banks). Although I posted my layout/plan on a different thread a while back, I'm happy to post my reference file here again if you like.

Cheers,

Alan

Thanks, Alan; the objective is to make the unit gig-ready by only needing one stomp to go to a new preset, without using AX8-Edit, especially if I'm at a gig and need to alter things on the fly. How do I do that, using just the AX8 itself? As I mentioned,I changed P1-P8 all to 'Global', saved the changes, and found that I still need to tap F1 AND the desired new preset button to make that change. That is not acceptable for playing live.

Thanks, Alan; the objective is to make the unit gig-ready by only needing one stomp to go to a new preset, without using AX8-Edit, especially if I'm at a gig and need to alter things on the fly. How do I do that, using just the AX8 itself? As I mentioned,I changed P1-P8 all to 'Global', saved the changes, and found that I still need to tap F1 AND the desired new preset button to make that change. That is not acceptable for playing live.

Hi Rich,

There is probably a way to do this without AX8-Edit, but I've never tried that approach. Please note that you can use AX8-Edit to program everything you want and then work your AX8 entirely independently afterward. (I generally don't even hook up a computer when I turn on my AX8 when running through all the tunes for my band's live set anymore--and also make tweaks to the tone on the AX8 itself, but then make sure to back up my work on the computer later on.)

All the best,

Alan

Hi Rich,

There is probably a way to do this without AX8-Edit, but I've never tried that approach. Please note that you can use AX8-Edit to program everything you want and then work your AX8 entirely independently afterward. (I generally don't even hook up a computer when I turn on my AX8 when running through all the tunes for my band's live set anymore--and also make tweaks to the tone on the AX8 itself, but then make sure to back up my work on the computer later on.)

All the best,

Alan

Alan, thanks again for the thoughtful response. I will have to wait to hear from Joe Rogers then to see how I can do it through the unit,

So, when you do it from AX8-Edit, you can change presets with one stomp?

Alan, thanks again for the thoughtful response. I will have to wait to hear from Joe Rogers then to see how I can do it through the unit,

It is only the setup that is done thru AX8 edit. Once it is configured to use the presets (or scenes) using the footswitches you no longer need AX8. One push will change to the new preset.

Hi Rich,

I use AX8-Edit to program the presets the way I want them--including the functions off all relevant footswitches--then save the results and can use them at will without ever connecting my AX8 to a computer again (unless I want to change things later on or make modifications to one or more presets on the AX8 and then back up the results to the computer). Do you have a PC or Mac to use, just for this programming?

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Rich,

I use AX8-Edit to program the presets the way I want them--including the functions off all relevant footswitches--then save the results and can use them at will without ever connecting my AX8 to a computer again (unless I want to change things later on or make modifications to one or more presets on the AX8 and then back up the results to the computer). Do you have a PC or Mac to use, just for this programming?

Cheers,

Alan

Hey Rich,

You gotten some great help here already. I am just chiming in because I have been a AxeFX user for a while, and the MAJOR thing about the edit programs is the ease of programming. It's simply SO MUCH EASIER to click on a parameter than to scroll through on the unit itself.
Everything can be done on ANY of the units, and of course if you need to make adjustments at a gig, that's what you'd have to do unless you have a laptop with you. I never do, so any changes I need to make at shows is done the "old fashioned way."
However, once you use the edit program, you'll wonder how you lived without it. It's just so simple to use and edits are quick and then can be saved over multiple presets if need be.

You never HAVE to use the edit programs, however if you have a computer it just makes a TON of sense.
Good luck and welcome to the insanity, I mean family, LOL

Back
Top Bottom