AX8 Preset Compatibility

LostInSpace

Inspired
Sorry if this has been answered somewhere, but I'm wondering if AxeFxII presets will be compatible with the AX8 and vice-versa? In other words, can presets developed on one device be loaded to the other? Of course, if an AxeFxII preset had features the AX8 doesn't support (e.g. dual amps), I would expect that to either not load or not load the blocks it doesn't support. But, it would definitely be very beneficial not to have to re-dial presets for both devices, particularly for those of us who like the idea of an AX8 as a great backup for the AxeFxII.

Speculating here, but I wouldn't think so since the AX8 doesn't do 2 amp & cab blocks, or some of the effects the AxFxII has.

Thanks for the replies. Block compatibility is definitely better than nothing, for sure. Still kind of a bummer to have to rebuild patches; creating the routing, setting gate and output mixer settings, etc. could be a fair amount of work, particularly if there are a lot of patches involved. Was really hoping it would transfer as-is (assuming no unsupported features were used).

Last edited:
It doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to have compatible presets. If the presets contain more than one amp or too many effects for the ax8 cpu, ax edit could just disable those blocks. You would have to edit them but it would be a lot less work than building block by block and controller settings, etc.

i think FAS would have to change the way preset files are handled in the units and in Axe-Edit, and that can take some time, so i would guess we won't see compatible presets at first.

Since there's going to be several variations of Axe Fx, maybe Fas or someone with the ability will step up to the plate and make a nice patch converter for us.

I will have 3 flavors or Axe-Fx when the AX-8 is available so sharing presets would be awesome.

I would definitely like to see a feature in FX-Edit (and AX-Edit) that at least allowed you to load a preset into the editor on the computer and then strip out the blocks to be used on the device.

For example, I'd like to take the Brit-Floyd presets, be able to see the full preset on FX8Edit and then have the editor copy chosen compatible fx blocks to a preset on my FX8. As it is, I have no way of seeing what's in those presets, let alone stripping out the compatible fx blocks.

Back
Top Bottom