AX8 pre-purchase questions

Yavuz Akyazıcı

Hi everyone,

I have used Line6 modelers in the past but not on stage.
I am a jazz player but I do not play with regular dark jazz sounds.
I play a maple Strat with on the edge amp and very little drive form a maxon od9 pro.

I recently bought atomic amplifirebox and ı purchased some commercial IRs.
I use AFB + OD9 pro for an extremely portable setup.

I had my eye on either a Kemper or AX8 but weight is the main issue here.
I really like the AX8 concept of simulation rather than profiling.

However, I recently checked out Helix and did not like the sound.
I only liked the interface.
I also did not like the fact that it was really heavy. ( Helix )
I am 50 years old and I do not want to carry heavy stuff anymore.

When I checked out AX8 and compared it to Helix weight, it was lighter but very close.
Sometimes a few pounds make a world difference though.

My question:
How heavy does the AX8 feel?
Is it portable enough?

I really like the ins and outs, concept and everything about AX8.
Just want to make sure about the weight.

It's more portable than the Helix and Kemper (no built in expression pedal helps this) and the tones within are well worth. If you're still able to take a guitar to a gig you can take an AX8 too.

if it's still too heavy I can recommend listening to Pantera and lifting weights twice a week.

Thanks..

It is good to hear it is not that heavy. I guess exp pedal can make big difference.

I have one more question.
I was reading the manual and checked out the speaker IRs section.

I understand the IRs should be in MIDI syses format to work with AX8.
I also saw a cab app to mix commercial IRs with the built in ones as well as other IRs.
How does that work? Is it easy?
Can I buy commercial IRs and use them with AX8.

I really like the Celestion IRs but they are in *.wav format
Can I use the Cab Mix app to use them?
This are a was a bit confusing.
It may be beaches I do not have the unit yet.

Thanks..

Thanks..

It is good to hear it is not that heavy. I guess exp pedal can make big difference.

I have one more question.
I was reading the manual and checked out the speaker IRs section.

I understand the IRs should be in MIDI syses format to work with AX8.
I also saw a cab app to mix commercial IRs with the built in ones as well as other IRs.
How does that work? Is it easy?
Can I buy commercial IRs and use them with AX8.

This are a was a bit confusing.
It may be beaches I do not have the unit yet.

Thanks..
Simply use Cab Lab to convert the .wav file to .Syx then you can import them into the AX8! Yes you can use any I/R including your one if you have the ability to make them!

There is definitely no shortage of IR’s! I probably will not hear/use half of them in this lifetime.

I was gigging 2 years before you were born. The AX8 is a great solution for us more mature gentlemen. You should be able to carry it to gigs without much strain. There are plenty of ams that will suit your style of playing as you describe it.

I have the helix too. For the life of me I can’t figure out why they would make this product sound terrible out of the box. Requires a lot of amp and cab adjustments before fizz is gone. It does sound good after you’ve adjusted the cabs. IRs or amps tho. I also use the AAB for portability as well. Sounds decent. The AX8 sits on the throne tho. Can’t go wrong. ( sound quality superior )

The AX8 in a hard shell camera case weighs less than the Strat in its case. I am blessed with substantial physical strength, so it's like a briefcase to me: but if I were incapacitated: I would strap everything onto a wheeled dolly rather than use something else.

FAS modeling is the first that actually sounded as good or better than the amps and any modeler I've played: Though I've not had time on most classic amps: I've tried most of the modelers starting with Roland's VG8 in the mid 1990's. While most reviewers demo and laud the Fractal modeling at higher gain: I mostly ride the edge between clean and breaking up, and classic rock lead tones: and FAS very noticeably outperforms the competition: Plus, those breakup characteristics can be further modified if desired: which can't be done with that degree of precision or control with an actual amp or any other modeler.

Even if I only used one amp model (it can be the exact one I prefer - not one from a few classics), and a couple of effects: the AX8 was well worth it: and was ultimately cheaper and more versatile than the boutique amp I had my eye on. The factory IRs are excellent, and while some third party IRs may be preferred: its a matter of taste, not of quality.

Last edited:
I am already sold on everything else.
Weght was my main question and the cab IRs.
I just do not want to put strain on my back.
Thank god I do not have any back injuries.
Most of my mature friends do.
I am trying to be careful since I cary my guitar on stage each concert.
Since jazz is based on high concentration and improvisation,
if my back hurts I feel more conscience while I should be trying to play out of my unconscience :)

Thanks a lot. I will be purchasing it very soon :)

Cab Lab does not work with the AX8's factory cabs, only those found in the optional cab packs. I wish they would be more clear in the description of Cab Lab, it would be nice to mix some of the factory IR's, especially since both are Fractal products. That said, I've only spent $30 on a 3rd party IR pack and combined with a couple of free ones that are available give me more than enough options to get the tones I need.

Yes.

I am 63 years old with a bad back ad I pack up my AX8 weekly to play at church. I carry the AX8 in one hand and my guitar in the other. Very easy for me. I absolutely love it.

Also in my 50's and have an Atomic Amplifire Box as a spare and AX8 as my main rig.

Not a weight issue at all provided that you keep 1 or 2 expression pedals at most in a travel bag.

Back
Top Bottom