AX8 power up issue

Bruce Sokolovic

Fractal Fanatic
Every second time I power up my AX8 it doesn’t go thru the start up sequence and powers on to a blank screen. If I disconnect power and power again, it works fine. I keep the units switch always on and connect to power with a power con to the wall. Any ideas???

I’ll do that. Will I be able to back up my presets and reload them?

The system reset doesn't wipe your presets. It will reset only your system settings such as custom F-switch setup and global IO config.

Edit: some users reported issues with corrupted presets that led to hangs and weird startup behavior. Does the problem occur independent of the preset that gets loaded at startup ?

Reactions: Ole
I had this happen to me last Friday when I was setting up for a gig.

After powering up my pedalboard, I noticed that my AX8's screen was on, but there was nothing displayed on it.

I tried power cycling it a couple of times, but it still came up with a blank screen.

Finally I tried unplugging the two MIDI cables that were attached to it and then when I powered it on it booted up normally.

This is the first time this has ever happened after numerous gigs and I haven't really changed anything with my setup for quite some time.

I updated it to the latest firmware (10.1) today. Should I run the factory reset procedure as described above?

I had this happen to me last Friday when I was setting up for a gig.

After powering up my pedalboard, I noticed that my AX8's screen was on, but there was nothing displayed on it.

I tried power cycling it a couple of times, but it still came up with a blank screen.

Finally I tried unplugging the two MIDI cables that were attached to it and then when I powered it on it booted up normally.

This is the first time this has ever happened after numerous gigs and I haven't really changed anything with my setup for quite some time.

I updated it to the latest firmware (10.1) today. Should I run the factory reset procedure as described above?
Curious if this is somehow midi related. I’ll keep that in mind if I can’t get to the main screen.

Flooding the AX8 with MIDI messages is a known way to make it respond sluggish. I wouldn't be surprised if it caused hangs too. Don't forget that unlike the FM3 there's only little DSP power available on the AX8 to handle the UI and IO stuff.

Last edited:
I do have mine set to receive midi clock info too, as well as sending PC to my Eventide so this can be part or all of the issue. The way things are set up isn’t completely kosher either. The fractal expression pedal doesn’t play nice with the Eventide H9 and it’s Y cable. In order for me to get tap tempo on an external switch the pedal has to be all the way down. Something about the pots resistance being wrong. A little beyond my knowledge.

Just confirmed this behavior.

I use Bandhelper on my iPad Mini to control my AX8 via a Roland UM-ONE MIDI cable.

Starting with the AX8 off, if I connect the iPad, power it up and run Bandhelper, then power up the AX8 it hangs at boot every time. (I tried it 10 times)

If I unplug the cable from the iPad, then power up the AX8, the AX8 boots right up.

I never noticed this before because I usually power up my pedal board long before I plug in my iPad.

Connecting my iPad after the AX8 is booted up works just fine.

i had a treble knob broke on my ax8 its never had a problem so i packed it up really well sent it to fractal to get fixed repair man called said when turned on it a blank screen.they tell you to insure it so i did sent it usps. put claim in waiting to see what they say.i bet its going to be a hassle.anyone else ever have this problem .?where it was working you sent it off or sold one and sent it off and this problem come up?

I had this problem since 2021,

Its a shame, I love fractal products so I decided to buy a second ax8, now I have the new one but its sad to have the other one non functional.

Back
Top Bottom