AX8 Power Strip Turn On-Off

Texhex

Inspired
Any opinions about leaving the AX8 power switch in the On position and turning it On/Off via the On/Off switch from a decent quality power strip? Something like this:

Amazon product ASIN B017VXU6GG
I found this quote from some research but wanted to get some input here.

“Any switch can send a spike no matter where it is if it isn't de-bounced. If you could look at the waveform put out when a switch is closed you would see a number of oscillations decreasing in amplitude. A simple de-bounce circuit (sometimes a cap and resistor, sometimes a purpose-built chip) can remedy that. Most power switches are NOT de-bounced.”

I’m not turning on and off anything like this now but I’m rearranging my setup at home and was thinking about having a power strip as a master On/Off switch. Fundamentally this just feels wrong to me.

Works fine, but your monitor speakers may “pop”, which isn’t good

Tons of people use racked gear with one power switch to turn it all on.

Just need to power monitors up last, or haves a delay power cycle, or “soft” power up like the III to protect them

Ax8 wont care though

My AX8 is on a pedal board. The board has its own on/off switch, so I just leave the AX8s switch on and use the boards switch. Been doing this for ages with no problems. I also have an Axe II in a rack and use the power switch on the power condition to switch everything on and off. I really can't see any reason why it would be detrimental in any way.

The OP was about leaving the AX8 switch on all the time, and just switching on and off a power strip instead. I do this. No clue if it's a bad thing.

I found this quote from some research but wanted to get some input here.

“Any switch can send a spike no matter where it is if it isn't de-bounced. If you could look at the waveform put out when a switch is closed you would see a number of oscillations decreasing in amplitude. A simple de-bounce circuit (sometimes a cap and resistor, sometimes a purpose-built chip) can remedy that. Most power switches are NOT de-bounced.”

I’m not turning on and off anything like this now but I’m rearranging my setup at home and was thinking about having a power strip as a master On/Off switch. Fundamentally this just feels wrong to me.

Switches are passive devices & cannot create spikes. They do bounce but it really is a non-issue when switching AC mains - the voltage is already cycling at 50/60 times a second. Fuctionally using the switch on the power strip is no different from using the switch on the AX8. There will be filtering inside the AX8 to smooth out EMI/RFI noise on the supply.

Back
Top Bottom