AX8 Power Amp/cab Live

Dandub20

Kind of a counterintuitive question, but does anyone use a power amp/cab set up live and mic the cabinet to FOH instead of sending a cab sim to FOH? I have recorded rehearsals this way to a console and it sounds great… I would also entertain sending a cab sim to FOH, but I’m afraid the tone will sound different to what I have dialed in with the real cab set up. Any tips on how to get your cab sim sound close to your real cab sound? Or is it just a compromise? I know this kind of defeats the purpose of a modeler, but it’s what sounds/feels best to me. Thanks a lot!

Honestly, your best bet is to shoot an IR of your cab with the same mic and position you're using. Given that the AX8 doesn't have an IR capture utility like the Axe-FX, you'll need to rely on any other 3rd party application.

Honestly, your best bet is to shoot an IR of your cab with the same mic and position you're using. Given that the AX8 doesn't have an IR capture utility like the Axe-FX, you'll need to rely on any other 3rd party application.
Great idea. I will def look into this. Any applications you recommend for IR capture? I’ve never gone down that rabbit hole. Thanks a lot!

Record both ways at rehearsal and hear if you have any difference.

I go directly to FOH and the sound is stellar.
Will do! I’ve yet to play through a legitimate house PA direct yet, so to my ears the power amp/cab has sounded best and great for rehearsal. Do you use any stage monitoring, or just the house wedges or in ears? I also like being able to generate feedback with a real cab… thanks!

Will do! I’ve yet to play through a legitimate house PA direct yet, so to my ears the power amp/cab has sounded best and great for rehearsal. Do you use any stage monitoring, or just the house wedges or in ears? I also like being able to generate feedback with a real cab… thanks!
Depending on the gig place/size I will use the house wedges or bring a couple Headrush 108s (plenty of volume and feedback).

When using house wedges, I just get some of my vocal and a little of the other guitar player. The FOH feed is all I need to hear and having a quiet stage (on my side) is easy on the ears.

Great idea. I will def look into this. Any applications you recommend for IR capture? I’ve never gone down that rabbit hole. Thanks a lot!

I know that the Space Designer Reverb plugin in Apple's Logic Pro has an IR Capture Utility, but never used it, as the only time I've captured an IR was with the Axe.

I run my AX8 into VHT 2/50/2 into a cab live. It's totally fine. I know a lot of people do stuff for the the stage volume. I'm not so much concerned with that, it's just I've so far been unable to get anywhere near as good a sound using IRs.

I run my AX8 into VHT 2/50/2 into a cab live. It's totally fine. I know a lot of people do stuff for the the stage volume. I'm not so much concerned with that, it's just I've so far been unable to get anywhere near as good a sound using IRs.
Cool. Thanks! So you just mic the cab and don’t send any cab sims to FOH, as I plan on doing?

I know that the Space Designer Reverb plugin in Apple's Logic Pro has an IR Capture Utility, but never used it, as the only time I've captured an IR was with the Axe.
Sweet. I have a friend with an axefx. If I use his IR capture for my cab could I then use that capture with my AX8? Sry, I have no experience with IR’s.

I just got my AX8, and am also running into a 2/50/2. Can you suggest some amp models/blocks that sound good with this setup. Ive turned off power amp simulation as suggested in the manual, and it did improve the tone a bit. Just looking for the right preamp/tonestack combo (basic crunch rhythm). Been downloading presets from the forums, but most are for Full range setup. Can you post your fav preset? Thx.

Back
Top Bottom