AX8: Possible FX Loop Issue (For Noobs)

Greg Lygon

Hello everyone! Just took delivery of an AX8, and so far I truly love it. Had me tempted to sell my one and only tube amp . . .

Currently, trying to solve a problem with using Four-Cable Method in my PRS Archon.

Should be pretty simple. A few effects blocks (comp, wah, drive) precede the FX Loop block, and mods and delays follow. All of this is a straight path to outputs (I'll post a screen cap later when I have my unit with me).

Try as I might, I'm not getting output from anything post-loop. Everything else works including wah, drive and comp. I'm using known-good cables (regular TS instrument cables) for the loop and a single Humbuster from the main out to the amp.

Changed some levels but that just makes the ones that already work louder. Quite sure I'm doing something wrong but haven't figured it out yet. I suppose it's possible I have a hardware issue with the loop but most likely it's just me being a noob. ;-)

Any ideas where I can start troubleshooting this?

Thanks!

Attachments

• WIN_20170205_22_22_26_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20170205_22_22_26_Pro.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 31
Hello everyone! Just took delivery of an AX8, and so far I truly love it. Had me tempted to sell my one and only tube amp . . .

Currently, trying to solve a problem with using Four-Cable Method in my PRS Archon.

Should be pretty simple. A few effects blocks (comp, wah, drive) precede the FX Loop block, and mods and delays follow. All of this is a straight path to outputs (I'll post a screen cap later when I have my unit with me).

Try as I might, I'm not getting output from anything post-loop. Everything else works including wah, drive and comp. I'm using known-good cables (regular TS instrument cables) for the loop and a single Humbuster from the main out to the amp.

Changed some levels but that just makes the ones that already work louder. Quite sure I'm doing something wrong but haven't figured it out yet. I suppose it's possible I have a hardware issue with the loop but most likely it's just me being a noob. ;-)

Any ideas where I can start troubleshooting this?

Thanks!
To start, the OUTPUT 2 knob looks to be turned all the way down. Start there, and then we can debug if you are still having issues.

To start, the OUTPUT 2 knob looks to be turned all the way down. Start there, and then we can debug if you are still having issues.

Thanks, I actually dimed it at one point (though not indicated here). Even tried making adjustments in AXE Edit.

Files and screen shots

Attachments

• 4CM.JPG
    4CM.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 4CMfx.JPG
    4CMfx.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 4CM for Archon 25.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 4
Something's up with your cabling or your amp. When I turn up Out2 Level and put a patch cord between Out2 and In2 to simulate having something in the loop, I get sound.

I think these are balanced outs, right? I have a couple of Humbusters on order; maybe the TRS jack makes a difference. I'll try those and keep Output 2 cranked up.

please describe exactly the cabling like this:

ax8 out 2 to amp instrument input
amp effects send to ax8 input 2
etc.

I spent more time with this, and now I have my suspicions about the FX loop in the Archon amp. I actually switched the loop OFF and then I could hear post-loop FX (??). I'll need to check the serial number to be sure, but I'm discovering PRS has had a recall about a certain era of fx loop. Even when it does work it's rather noisy (in fact, I returned one to exchange it due to a fault fx loop). I better research that from my end. I can always try the AX8 in another amp at some point. Having said that, the way I'm feeling . . . I will seriously consider "cutting the cord", sticking with the digital solution. Heh. But I digress. Right now I'm thinking it's the Archon, not the preset, the cables or even my imagination :) Thanks everyone for the input(s). It's helpful and very much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom