Ax8 pops

gdgross

Experienced
Hey all- I noticed the occasional audio pop tonight when I was recording through the spdif output of my ax8.

I occasionally got these when I had an axii, but it was always a clock mismatch issue. In this case I have my interface set to accept the spdif clock from the ax8, so I don't believe there's a mismatch. (When I set the interface to internal clock and try to record via spdif, I get lots of pops, so I'm pretty sure that everything is synced up when I tell the interface to use the external spdif clock.

Here's a quick clip of what it sounds like: https://www.dropbox.com/s/erq44uosygmckju/Another Thing Coming_gtr pop.mp3?dl=0

Any ideas? could it be something in the real world? Static on my pickups? Something else? I took off my strap and played seated so I know it's not the strap locks...

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Whoops - weird. PT was routed to some output that I could hear but not my main outs. Anyway the link is fixed now, sorry about that!

thought it might have been CPU although this is very simple patch, just amp cab and some filters for routing, so I unplugged the USB, still get pops.
Also increased the playback buffer size in protools, and I still get pops. Even when I'm just sitting there with the track armed and not recording.
"low latency monitoring" in PT has no effect either

Same behavior here....

I use AX8 connected to a YAMAHA AW2400 (DAW) via SPDIF, I have tried to set (DIO page) the external clock as MASTER (AX8) but sometime on display appears "ERROR WRONG CLOCK SOURCE" (And audio signal stops for few seconds....If I select internal clock as master nothing change...

The strange thing is this issue appears occasionally... I don't know why.

Any suggestion?

I'm unhappy for this, in general SPDIF allows you to have a hight quality audio performance... especially during recording.

Thanks a lot

If it was static I wouldn't expect to hear it twice in 5 seconds. Does the problem persist if you use the analog path ?

Hmm. Can you try another DAW and see if the same issue appears? For example, Reaper. Super stable for me. The installer is extremely light.

If you plug AX8 directly into monitors or active speakers, do you have same pops?

Well I got home from work today, fired everything up and now I can't get it to pop! Myabe my interface and/or ax8 just needed a reboot?

It felt like a clocking issue anyway, so that makes a little more sense if so.

I've had this issue in the past with other gear - it's usually a clock issue with the devices not syncing properly.

Back
Top Bottom