I am using an H9 with the AX8 in the FX-Loop. I also connected midi in and midi out. In this way you can send, depending on the scene, a specific midi program change to switch the H9. The midi out of the H9 is useful for using the H9 tap option and freeing the AX8-F1 button for another purpose than tap. This was necessary because the AX-8 does NOT send it's midiclock to sync the H9 with tap and live you do not want to tap the beat 2 times. The H9 also has a Boss double switch to access i.e. the Hot-button. Bit ugly because of the many, many cables but working like a charm.

AX8 effects are awesome, however some stuff on the H9 is just impossible on the AX8 (i.e. H9 specific Resonator, Ultratap). H9 is the icing on the AX8!

JM2C

I have both as well. I like the H9 alot and when I use it, will put it in front of the AX8, it's easier to keep levels correct on the H9 that way and like the sound. However, my usual gig at church, is only 4 songs, some often new to me, so I normally just keep it simple and use only the AX8 with a few generic clean/crunch presets with some different MTD, DLY or REV options as needed.
However, I do I like the simplicity of the the H9, as being able to have independent presets on it and use the AX8 for keeping the base amp tone. So many options. Also important point above about H9 sending midi tempo.

I like mine. Not using midi since I typically keep them at one or two settings all the time for my primary needs. I might start using when I decide to start using more presets as opposed to a typical pedalboard layout. Also, the AX8 doesn't have reverse reverb.

Attachments

• board.jpg
    board.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 51
Hello from France !
(first post)

I've just tried the H9 in the AX8 FXL and I'm a little disappointed.
I was using the H9 with my amp in pre/post setup so I didn't notice that the H9 has no stereo effect ; there is a stereo routing but no chorus, no delay, no reverb, etc are playing in the stereo field unlike the AX8. Plus the sounds are not as good as they were on my amp (I even had noisy picks attacks).
I've read Geoff putting it in front, didn't tried but isn't it too limiting ?

PS Please excuse my English.

Are you sure that the H9 Chorus and Reverbs are not stereo?
If you want stereo delay you should set the AB panning in the delay algo to 12 o clock on the H9. Then you have dual mono.

I was using the H9 with my amp in pre/post setup so I didn't notice that the H9 has no stereo effect ; there is a stereo routing but no ...
@grosson: Sure to have the settings on the H9 correct? Also how did you do the routing of the FX-Loop? It looks like you are doing something incorrectly here. FX-Loop in front of an Amp will make it Mono.
...I even had noisy picks attacks....
Check the input levels of the H9 (the output is automatic) and the input/outputs of the FX-loop. I got something like 10-16dB adjustment of the FX-loop, furthermore I use also a fine adjustment of volumes depending on scenes (control scene2) for the levels coming from the H9. HTH

Are you sure that the H9 Chorus and Reverbs are not stereo?
If you want stereo delay you should set the AB panning in the delay algo to 12 o clock on the H9. Then you have dual mono.
You've got the word "dual mono" but not stereo.
PS I was a huge fan of Magma in my youth.;)

@grosson: Sure to have the settings on the H9 correct? Also how did you do the routing of the FX-Loop? It looks like you are doing something incorrectly here. FX-Loop in front of an Amp will make it Mono.
I think it was good, normal routing and I tried different place for the FX-Loop...

@grosson:Check the input levels of the H9 (the output is automatic) and the input/outputs of the FX-loop. I got something like 10-16dB adjustment of the FX-loop, furthermore I use also a fine adjustment of volumes depending on scenes (control scene2) for the levels coming from the H9. HTH
Hum, I will try again but the recording level gauges were OK.

Well the H9 did his job but the sound was worse than with my amp. I wanted to use the H9 with my AX8 to get back a few sounds that I use and to help the CPU, but, finally, the AX8 is strong enough to carry my needs and I prefer not to have a new Pedal Board to built.
But I was surprised and disappointed by the result. I will try again but I do not believe in it too much.
Thanks for your help !

Not sure if the H9 or the AX8 is giving the problems?
And Yes I am a Magma fan....

It is like the amp smooths things over.
Well, I use it like this and all works nicely. You see that I use a filter after the FX, that might be your smoothing things!:

Code:
  DRV--AMP-CAB--+---DEL-------------------+---Rev--out
                 \--VOL--FXLoop--Filter--/
Cab and Rev are hires.

Some more hints: there are H9 effects that are not very stereo for example classic chorus. Shimmer chorus is very stereo. Maybe try first the Pong Delay presets.

Trouble shooting stereo issues: put a PingPong delay in place of the FX and check if it is stereo. If it is stereo: check cables ;-)
If it is not stereo: reduce your routing to the minimum possible IN-AMP-CAB-FX-OUT.
IMHO take your time to figure out why it does not work, because it is always better to understand the whole equipment you work with.

So I spent a lot of time playing with the levels and it is true that there is a way to improve the rendering of the H9; it's not as good as before but it's much better.
That said, I do not see anymore too much interest to include the H9 in my chain, I prefer (for now anyway) to remain in a simple configuration: the AX8 and an expression pedal.
The AX8 is s a great machine!

In fact, I had a problem with the FX block that a reset cleaned up.
Now, still with good levels care, the H9 sounds great.
Thank you for your help and if it helps ...

It's me again.:D
In fact (again) my AX8 IN2 R was down !! Big Up to Nicolas and G66 staff, as soon as they understood my problem they send me another one. I will make the exchange tomorrow in UPS center. Cool isn't it ?
I hope this is the end of my H9 battle.:)

Back
Top Bottom