AX8 Patchbay Build

Frank L.

So I'm a huge fan of making things myself. After recently switching over from the FX8 to the AX8, I knew I needed to redesign my board a bit. There were a handful of goals in mind when starting this build:

• I wanted to move my wireless to the pedalboard (use to be in the backline)
  • Only 1 power cable would connect to the board (Powercon)
  • I would have a powercon outlet to connect my stage monitor(s)
  • Have the ability to expand to stereo if needed in the future.
  • Have the ability to jack in a regular guitar cable in case of wireless failure

That being said, this is why I came up with. I just finished painting yesterday and started the mounting and wiring process. Obviously not complete yet, but wanted to show the progress thus far. The project started with a TrailerTrash board that is custom designed for the AX8/FX8 and 2 expression pedals. I never really needed 2 expression pedals, so I got rid of one of them to make room for my wireless.

I use 1/2" Cellular PVC for this build. I wanted something a bit smoother than wood, and this fit the bill. The cut edges are a bit rougher than I wanted, but overall it looked pretty good after paint. Everything is held together with a combination of clear PVC cement and brad nails. A couple of the brads came out the side, mostly due to my own impatience. But I cut off the excess and filled them with plastic filler. After paint you can hardly see them.

The holes to fit the D-series jacks were drilled with a 15/16" drill bit. I actually built a template using Adobe Illustrator on my computer in order to get them centered and aligned. I put a center "dot" on each hole. Once it was complete, I printed it out (in 2 sheets, left and right), and punched out the dot in the middle of the holes on my sheet. I then lined up the edges to my boards, and used a sharpie to mark the center of the holes. Once that was there, it was easy to drill the holes perfectly. You'll also notice I "marked" some of the other holes, so if I decide to add additional jacks later, I have the holes already setup.

I did a 3 stage painting process. First, I sanded all surfaces using 300-800 grit sandpaper, smoothing over some of the edges in the process. Next, I applied acetone to the PVC in order to give the pain something to stick to. I applied a bit more acetone on the cut edges as it helped to smooth things out a bit (it literally melts the plastic). Lastly, I applied 4 coats of Flat Black spray paint that is made for plastics. I dont recall the brand offhand, but if anyone is curious I'll post it up when I get back home.

I planned on hard wiring everything into a distribution block, and then to the powercon-in jack. This posed a problem for my Line6 G50 wireless unit. It had a "wall wart" type of plug, so it wouldn't work in this application. To get around that, I found a compatible AC adapter that wasnt a "wall wart" type. However, the construction was a bit shoddy, and the power cable was thin and too short for my needs. Nothing a screw-driver and hammer couldnt resolve! I removed the casing from the AC adapter, desoldered the old AC plug, and soldered in a heavy duty (16ga) cable. I also plan on shortening the 9V side of the adapter so I do not have a bunch of extra cables.

Anyways, Thats where I'm at. I'll post up some more pictures as I get further with the build. But I'm super-happy with how its turning out.

And now.. For the pictures!

0fqcfEB.jpg

26avwbT.jpg

4xlYLlg.jpg

aCAWpNm.jpg

WzbgvuK.jpg

NsAw64g.jpg

uARHfpH.jpg

LHMivz2.jpg

iqi8gba.jpg

HZAL8LI.jpg

Not wanting to be "that guy", but the soldering on the white wire to the PCB would make me a bit nervous. Would prefer the strands to be twisted tighter. Other than that, Great Job man! Nice to see some skilled craftsmen here.

Not wanting to be "that guy", but the soldering on the white wire to the PCB would make me a bit nervous. Would prefer the strands to be twisted tighter. Other than that, Great Job man! Nice to see some skilled craftsmen here.

Thats actually an older picture. I removed/resoldered it already as I had the same concern. :)

Cool. I really debated saying something but 6 of the 10 voices in my head said "better safe than sorry".

Always say something! :) I'm always open to tips and such as I go along. I know what I'm doing, but I don't know everything! Always good to have an extra set of eyes.

This is a perfect setup to tuck one of those little UD-BT01 in there and give yourself wireless connectivity to an iPad with FracPad. You could always have it ready to go...
I would almost build one just for that feature alone!

Unless wireless editing doesn’t tickle your fancy...
However, I’m suddenly inspired

This is a perfect setup to tuck one of those little UD-BT01 in there and give yourself wireless connectivity to an iPad with FracPad. You could always have it ready to go...
I would almost build one just for that feature alone!

Unless wireless editing doesn’t tickle your fancy...
However, I’m suddenly inspired

Hrm, that's an interesting idea. I wonder if the usb port on the UD-BT01 would work as a pass through. Effectively allowing me to edit wireless via Fracpad, or to plug in to my laptop.

Anyone try this?

Well the BT01 needs to be powered. But I wonder if a little powered USB hub would do the trick.

Good point. a small powered USB hub would probably work. Maybe for another revision, I do not have a need to edit wirelessly right now (I dont do edits on stage)

Back
Top Bottom