AX8 Owners who upgraded from Axe Fx (Poll)

What will you do with your Axe Fx?

• Keep it.

Votes: 55 56.1%
  • Sell it (Sold it)

Votes: 37 37.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
As I really wouldn't call it an upgrade I had to sell my Axe FX II to finance the AX8 but I also looked at how I was using the Axe FX and decided that I was not really using it at a level that justified keeping it while adding the AX8.

The AX8 should work for my needs, basic presets amp cab and a few effects in the right places. The other positive over an Axe FX rig is an even more compact rig with all the same great tones with most of the options of it's big brother.

It isn't an upgrade for me , The AxFx is the flagship, Ax8 is a shuddle , it will be my backup solution for live gigs, simplify carrying gear to and from rehearsals etc! Looking very much forward to it!

Had the Ax8, sold it..trust me it was killer. BUT i had so many blocks in my Axe II presets it was hard to recreate a few of my patches without having it overload the cpu.. So i stuck with my II. If there is an ax8 II in the future with a processor that can handle more cpu usage ill probley buy it. Actually I didn't save that much more time setting up my axe II rig vs. the 8, maybe i just have it down were i can set it up very fast for what i have.

Jazzgtr is right. If you have a lot of blocks in your patches the lack of CPU power in the AXE8 is going to be a problem. I don't use a reverb block in my patches (I have. Strymon Big Sky in the effects loop) and I still have CPU challenges. However, I got the AXE to start over for simplicity.

I do love how you can tweak presets easier on the fly with the AX8.

As a new ax8 owner I am still undecided about selling my axe fx ii mark 1. I definitely love the ax8. And absolutely agree that tone is same. Luckily I have been very happy with presets so no issues with cpu horsepower. Max cpu seems around 81%. I'm wondering if the ax8 is less noisy compared with my mark I given the different humbuster inputs. Primary reason for crossgrade was lack of use of fx ii since it was in a rack and I wanted a much more portable solution and didn't want a portable rack and then separate controller.

Keeping the both (I think):
I have complete Axe II rigs (Axe II and MPC) installed at both church campuses and a separate rig at home that I have also been using for off campus gigs (and programming presets). While I thought the AX8 could replace all of them between the CPU limits and the fact that all I do now is walk in with my guitar, turn on my wireless unit and sound check, the AX8 is just more work (I know 1st world problems!).

I am however leaning towards keeping the AX8 and building presets that will work for off campus gigs allowing me to bring only the AX8 and a CLR Neo. Problem is that we do about 5 off campus gigs per year so bringing a 4 space rack (with IEM system for monitoring and no CLR) and my PT2 board with the MFC and a couple of expression pedals is not much more to haul. I will see what happens as I get to know the AX8. The ideal situation would be only traveling with it and a couple of expression pedals in a Mono 365 bag - no CLR. Just not there yet so time will tell!

That said I did just get an FX8 which so far works really nicely with my 1x12 combo tube amp that had been gathering dust (Allston Overdrive Combo - Allston Amplifiers) in 4CM. I absolutely love the fact that I can switch channels and engage tone bypass within scenes!!

The XL+ is still the FAS (and my) flagship. It has retained its "main rig" spot with me. The AX8 was purchased as a proper backup to it, and a go-to for the times I need something smaller to make my life easier. Frankly, there isn't a place I play the XL+ won't fit, after all it's just one rack case. But there are places where combining the Axe FX/MFC-101 into a single floor spot makes life easier.

I could be totally fine with either. I'm blessed to be keeping both.

Back
Top Bottom