AX8 output questions

Hi folks! Just got my AX8 last week for my Christmas :)

I have a question about the output section of my AX8. I am thinking how can I connect the PA to FOH and my amp fx loop at the same time. Physically I know I will send my two XLR cable to FOH and 4cm to my amp, but how about the software part? Because I think I need my preamp+cab and all my effect to FOH, but I think I need to turn off my cab when I send to my amp fx loop?

Any advise? How to do in the AX8-edit?

Cheers!

Well, if you want to send everthing but the cab block to the FX return on the amp, that's not the 4CM. To send the cab free signal to your amp FX, all you have to do is split the signal before the cab blcok, and send one side to the FXloop block, with the other to the cab block. This will send the cab free signal out the FX send (output 2), and you run that to your amp FX return.

4CM is when you send the AX8 FX output to you amps front input, run the amps FXsend to AX8 return, then the AX8 main output to the amps FX return. Then you put the FXloop block where ever you want the amps preamp to go, and in which case you would not be running amp/cab sims at all, usually.

Well, if you want to send everthing but the cab block to the FX return on the amp, that's not the 4CM. To send the cab free signal to your amp FX, all you have to do is split the signal before the cab blcok, and send one side to the FXloop block, with the other to the cab block. This will send the cab free signal out the FX send (output 2), and you run that to your amp FX return.

4CM is when you send the AX8 FX output to you amps front input, run the amps FXsend to AX8 return, then the AX8 main output to the amps FX return. Then you put the FXloop block where ever you want the amps preamp to go, and in which case you would not be running amp/cab sims at all, usually.

So what I need is 2 XLR cables to FOH (with everything), and 1 cable out from FX send connect to my amp FX return (split the path with a FXloop before the cab) ? Plus one cable to connect my guitar to AX8 for sure ?

May I ask why people need the 4CM ?

So what I need is 2 XLR cables to FOH (with everything), and 1 cable out from FX send connect to my amp FX return (split the path with a FXloop before the cab) ? Plus one cable to connect my guitar to AX8 for sure ?

May I ask why people need the 4CM ?
That sounds right for what you're wanting to do. The 4CM is useful if you want to use the AX8 only for effects with your real amp as it allows you to put some effects in front of your amp and others in the loop. You could also use it to switch between using your amp's preamp and amp models in the AX8 (generally with power amp modeling disabled) while using your amp's power section.

Why not just mic your cab? That way you can disable power amp modeling so your on stage sound will be better through your current tube amp.

That sounds right for what you're wanting to do. The 4CM is useful if you want to use the AX8 only for effects with your real amp as it allows you to put some effects in front of your amp and others in the loop. You could also use it to switch between using your amp's preamp and amp models in the AX8 (generally with power amp modeling disabled) while using your amp's power section.

I will try it! Thanks

Why not just mic your cab? That way you can disable power amp modeling so your on stage sound will be better through your current tube amp.

I am new can you explain it more of this method?
It points out another question, is that the power-amp sim is in global, so that I will close it no matter I use the XLR to FOH or using FXloop ?

It points out another question, is that the power-amp sim is in global, so that I will close it no matter I use the XLR to FOH or using FXloop ?

He's talking about not running the XLR to FOH, but micing your amp instead. You would run the output 1 to the FX return of your amp, and turn the sag feature in the amp sim all the way down, that disables the power amp simulation, while keeping the preamp simulation. Of course you would not use a cab sim either since you would be using your actual guitar cab/amp. It's a way to assure the PA is getting the same tone as what is coming from your amp, and not having to worry about how the house rig sound will vary place to place.

The problem with that, is most amps will make the amp sims sound similar, because you are only using a third of the simulations. That's why people get powered FRFR speakers, to take advantage of the modeling power. You can still either run FOH or mic the speaker as well.

An amp can be thought of as two sections, a preamp and a power amp. Both the preamp and power amp will add distortion and compression. Depending on what amp you have it could get most of its distortion from either section.

The Ax8 models both of these sections but allows you to disable the power amp. The reason for this is that when you use a real tube power amp to power your cab you don’t need the power amp modeling because you already have the power amp distortion/compression. If you do use the power amp modeling with a real tube power amp it will add extra compression and distortion which will not give you an accurate representation of the amp the Ax8 is emulating. So, normally you want to disable power amp modeling if you are using a tube power amp.

The problem is that if you disable power amp modeling so that you sound good with your tube power amp and split the signal and send it to a cab block and to FOH it will sound thin and weak at FOH because it doesn’t have the dist/compression from the power amp. There is no way in the Ax8 to send one signal that has power amp modeling on and one signal that has it off. The FX loop in the Ax8 wont pull a signal from between the preamp and power amp. Note that you can do this in the Axe FX II by using two amp blocks and routing one amp with power amp modeling on into a cab block and to FOH and another with power amp modeling off to your real amp and cab.

If you want to use a real cab on stage and send a Cab IR to FOH to avoid using a mic you will want to get a flat solid state power amp and run that to your cab. That way you can run power amp modeling in the Ax8 to both your onstage cab and FOH.

Another option is to buy a FRFR powered speaker and use that for monitoring on stage. If you do this you will be getting the same thing that FOH is getting. This is the method I use and I love it.

If you are set on using a tube power amp with the Ax8 I think you are best off micing the cab. Otherwise you wont be hearing anything close to what you are sending FOH.

Back
Top Bottom