Ax8 output knob not turning completely down?

Hi again guys - just wondering - shouldn't the output knob be able to turn the volume all the way down? Even when it can't be turned counterclockwise any more, there's still enough volume to be clearly heard.

Also - I can't seem to figure out how to assign F1 X/Y switch to a parameter (e.g. Amp XY, Cab XY) - can anyone help?

Hi again guys - just wondering - shouldn't the output knob be able to turn the volume all the way down? Even when it can't be turned counterclockwise any more, there's still enough volume to be clearly heard.
The output level is an adjustment of your output level. It is not meant to be a volume control.

The output level is an adjustment of your output level. It is not meant to be a volume control.

I can't understand this. What is the difference between adjusting output level and volume control? And how am I supposed to control volume? (On the guitar is not really an answer).

if you needed to kill your audio path 100% you can activate the tuner and have it set to mute or if using a volume/ exp pedal tied to input or output or volume block just put it heel down.

a Function switch can not switch XY states last I checked

The output doesn't go all the way to zero. This was done due to the plethora of support issues where people would say they weren't getting any sound and it was simply due to the fact that they had the knob turned all the way down. So now you get a little signal and we get less support calls.

You can control volume by adding a volume block, using the amp output knob (which is one of the quick control knobs on the face of the unit) or you can control the main volume in the output block (the block to the far right on the grid).

Also - I can't seem to figure out how to assign F1 X/Y switch to a parameter (e.g. Amp XY, Cab XY) - can anyone help?

I don't recall whether or not you can set F1 to do this. The default settings allow you to press and hold switches 1-8 to change the XY status of any block. You can also assign a switch to "Amp XY" which will let you just press and release to change the XY status of the amp block. Note that the switch occurs on the release, not the press. If you have fast feet you can reduce the switching latency :)

I can't understand this. What is the difference between adjusting output level and volume control? And how am I supposed to control volume? (On the guitar is not really an answer).

The output level should be set at the most appropriate level for the receiving input jack of whatever device you are connecting it to. Whether that's a guitar amp, an FR powered speaker, a mixer channel, a studio preamp... all these things have 'volume controls'.

Google 'gain staging'.

The output doesn't go all the way to zero. This was done due to the plethora of support issues where people would say they weren't getting any sound and it was simply due to the fact that they had the knob turned all the way down. So now you get a little signal and we get less support calls.
LOL. Spoonfeeding at its best :D

Despite the fact I was a sound man and now play a little, I have stood on stage a couple of times puzzled that I have no sound and then realize I have a volume or output knob all the way down.

I noticed the same thing on my Ax8 and thought something was wrong because the output level controls on my Ultra go down to zero output. Glad this was intentional and understand why, I've gotten caught in the "WTF happened-why no sound-oh duh" Bermuda Triangle myself a few times.

Back
Top Bottom